PDA

View Full Version : Well I splurged

ChrisRay
06-16-04, 10:23 PM
Good things and bad things have happened this week.

I picked up a Thermaltake 480W, However something was wrong with it. Comp USA didnt tell me.

When I got home. I plugged it into my motherboard, and the it sent a surge to the motherboard and KILLED my mainboard. It turns out Comp USA sold me a faulty PSU (From Thermaltake)

Bye Bye Asus A7n8x Deluxe :(

Comp USA would not reimburse me onbviously.. Even though I consider it somewhat their responcibility for selling me bad goods..

Anyway, So I had to buy a new motherboard, But I didnt stop there, I purchased 2 512 Sticks of PNY DDR400 memory,

And Athlon XP 2500+ Barton.

And a new Albatron Nforce mainboard, Has everything my asus had,

http://www.albatron.com.tw/images/product/it/mb/Picture/Big/KX18DProII.jpg

but active cooling on the northebridge.

And of course a working thermal take 480 Watt PSU.

So Now I'm home. Boot up. Clock the FSB up to 200, Shoots my Barton up to 3200+ speeds, Dual Channel DDR512 Sticks of Memory Operating @ 200 mhz.

Cas Latency of 2.

I'm hoping I'm rdy for a new high end card, with this system.

So in essence

Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+ Speeds
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 450/850
1 Gig DDR400 Memory
480 Watt PSU,

Performance increase is definately there, More Memory, More Speed, and well only thing left holding my system back is the Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

System is doing about 15,700 3dmarks @ this speeds with 57.72 Drivers for my FX 5900 Ultra. (With 2001SE)

P.S Check out the 480 Wat Thermtal Take Butterfly Power Supply I got.

Has shifting Color LED lights, Really fancy :)

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/main.htm

saturnotaku
06-16-04, 10:32 PM
If that PSU had a stronger rating on the +12v line, I would have bought that instead of the 560W TT Purepower that's in my machine now.

BTW, did you get the PM I sent you earlier today concerning your review?

ChrisRay
06-17-04, 02:07 AM
Yes I got it. I like this Power Supply, Hope its enough for things to come though. The speed Boost has been immediately noticable in all my games though. Always had bad luck with OCing in the past, But this CPU is humming along perfectly @ 45C max load at 2.2 Ghz and 400 FSB ;)

One problem is I cant seem to find a way to monitor temps within windows :|

saturnotaku
06-17-04, 08:06 AM
One problem is I cant seem to find a way to monitor temps within windows

Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) :D

Dazz
06-17-04, 08:43 AM
I just splurged too, Athlon64 3500+ & ASUS A8V DELUXE *clenches* £450 aka $825US. My Girlfriend is going to butcher me :eek:

Gator
06-17-04, 09:40 AM
I just splurged too, Athlon64 3500+ & ASUS A8V DELUXE *clenches* £450 aka $825US. My Girlfriend is going to butcher me :eek:

As did I :D

A week or two ago I got a 2nd 15" NEC LCD, and last night I ordered an A64-3200 and Gigabyte K8NS Pro.

Horray for June and all it's expensive glory! :lol2:

TheTaz
06-17-04, 11:34 AM
Yes I got it. I like this Power Supply, Hope its enough for things to come though. The speed Boost has been immediately noticable in all my games though. Always had bad luck with OCing in the past, But this CPU is humming along perfectly @ 45C max load at 2.2 Ghz and 400 FSB ;)

One problem is I cant seem to find a way to monitor temps within windows :|

Grats on the new rig. :)

Is that a Mobile 2500+ (1.45 Volt / 266 Core) or a Desktop 2500+ (1.65 Volt / 333 core)?

If it's a mobile... you should be able to push it further, since the multiplier is unlocked and it uses less voltage. :)

As for CPU temp monitoring, I just used the utility off the ABit site for my Abit motherboard. Might want to check if Albatron has one... just in case that's more accurate than a 3rd party monitor (Polls more often or whatever).

Regards,

Taz

|JuiceZ|
06-17-04, 02:32 PM
MBM (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html) is also a good temp monitoring tool.

ChrisRay
06-17-04, 07:01 PM
Grats on the new rig. :)

Is that a Mobile 2500+ (1.45 Volt / 266 Core) or a Desktop 2500+ (1.65 Volt / 333 core)?

If it's a mobile... you should be able to push it further, since the multiplier is unlocked and it uses less voltage. :)

As for CPU temp monitoring, I just used the utility off the ABit site for my Abit motherboard. Might want to check if Albatron has one... just in case that's more accurate than a 3rd party monitor (Polls more often or whatever).

Regards,

Taz

I'm Using Motherboard Monitor, Still doing 45C rock stable @ Full load. I figure it might hit 50C if tempatures if room tempatures increased substancially. But with currentl room temps its doing 45C, which is about 12C cooler than my tbredb did @ 2.1 Ghz.

It's not a mobile and it aint unlocked. I dont really see any need to Overclock any further. 2 sticks of DDR400 Memory operating in Dual Channel Mode +2500 to 3200+ speeds is a pretty satisfying Overclock for me, I have no need to "push" the candle. This is all on the default 1.65 vcore too. Since the performance I am getting is more than acceptable.