PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer crashes with Hyper-Threading on...Why?

3dfxzombie
06-17-04, 05:40 AM
Every now and then, my Internet Explorer crashes. But only when Hyper-Threading is turned on in BIOS.
When it is turned off, I can load a million Internet Explorers in 5 seconds and it just won't crash...so the system must be pretty stable.
So why makes HT my system unstable? Temperatures are ok...40 degrees C.
I have a P4C 2,8 Ghz.

This problem makes my brain hurt, please help. :bash:

3dfxzombie
06-17-04, 05:44 AM
oh, and the internet explorer only crashes AFTER you type in an URL :retard:

3dfxzombie
06-28-04, 04:25 AM
Am I the only one who encountered this problem or something?

3dfxzombie
07-19-04, 09:57 AM
Well, since no one seems to know, I'll just turn HT off permanently. Everything runs just fine.

Nutty
07-20-04, 07:47 AM
By turning off HT, you're losing out on a significant performance chunk of your CPU that you paid for. It only benefits when you have multiple high demand threads running of course.

Most crashes are usually memory related. Get mem86 program, which does a thorough memory check on your dimms, and see what it turns up. If thats no joy, it could be power related. I assume enabling HT will churn up more watts of power ?

sweetmate
07-20-04, 07:58 AM
You shouldn't be turning HT on and off in the bios. Each time you do XP tries to reinstall the UP/MP APIs. This is probably the root of your instability. In fact HT should be enabled before you install XP and then never switched off.

3dfxzombie
07-21-04, 03:15 AM
To Sweetmate: When I bought my computer components, I checked BEFORE installing Win-XP that HT was on in the BIOS and THEN did a fresh Win-XP install. I only disabled it in BIOS when I noticed that IE6 ( and some games ) were not stable. That solved the problem. I doublechecked by enabling it again and voila...IE6 crashed again. So I turned HT off for good. This is all I've done. So the problem appeared before I turned anything off/on in the BIOS.

To Nutty: Yes, I lost part of the CPU I paid for, but I'd rather have a fast CPU that works, than a faster CPU that crashes IE all the time.
I already tried memtest86. I ran it for over 5 hours. all was OK. Maybe you are right about the PSU though. I will try that, since I have been having problems with my Radeon 9800pro lately as well. Now I have to turn the computer on twice before the screen turns on... I hear that the BIOS/OS go through their normal steps...but the screen just doesn't turn on. But if I do a cold reboot ( power off/on again ) it comes on just fine. Very strange.
The fact that the screen DOES work with my old GF4200 led me to believe that the R9800 was busted, but in another comp the screen came on immediately with the radeon.
So it could be the PSU... I'll let you know after I cannibalize my second computer.

3dfxzombie
07-21-04, 10:23 AM
Oops, I forgot that PSU isn't compatible with my PIV motherboard, so I can't test it. I'm a electro-n00b, so how do I know my PSU works ok / not ok ?