PDA

View Full Version : No more Apple desktops?

saturnotaku
06-17-04, 02:01 PM
Could this be a harbinger of the beginning of the end for Apple? A pretty interesting editorial at Sudhian Media (http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=552).

Apple, it seems, has given up on selling people on switching. With systems starting at $2000 AND a need to buy a new monitor there’ll be precious few people “taking the plunge.” The benefit to doing so, of course, is that Apple can earn higher margins and possibly offer even higher performance by configuring for workstation-class hardware. The disadvantage is that it turns the Apple desktop market into a closed system, with a very high financial barrier to entry. The mobile market’s a different story, which perhaps implies that Apple sees a new and different future there, completely separate from the desktop.

Its not the new G5 workstation that kills Apple as a personal desktop computer company—its their failure to offer anything else save an aging and under-performing G4 that grows less compelling each and every day. Does this mean that Apple is finished? Absolutely not. But it does concern me, given that every computer manufacturer that formerly specialized in large, expensive PC’s has been looking for ways to cut costs and offer cheaper systems, not the other way around.

nvnews-reader
06-17-04, 02:35 PM
Apple still sells i-macs and e-macs. They are pretty reasonable. Their power macs have been targeted at the highend workstation class market for a while now.

Sounds like FUD to me.