PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s


Riptide
06-17-04, 03:19 PM
I am thinking of selling my d875pbz w/3.0c for $200 and then getting one of the new s939 boards, the Asus A8V and a 3500+ CPU for it. I have the intention of upgrading to an FX53 or 55 around christmas time and I would hopefully be ready for it with this motherboard.

Here are my worries... Does anyone know much about this motherboard? I dread the idea of hooking it up and running into issues like GlowStick was having or other wierdness. VIA hasn't been rosey in the past, though I know this is a whole other enchilada. Still, this makes me nervous... Am I likely to run into all sorts of stupid little idiosyncracies with this motherboard/cpu combo? I don't want to be buying myself fifteen hours worth of work to get windows to load if you catch my drift... I've been burned before, by the SiS648 so I don't want a repeat of that time killer.

PaiN
06-17-04, 03:30 PM
Its always a roll of the dice when you change hardware, especially a major platform change and early adoption.......You can always hold off and wait for afew more 939 boards and some mature time..
or
Buck-up little camper and go bravely in to the unknown :)

{Sniping}Waste
06-17-04, 03:48 PM
A new bios was released for the A8v and it looks like the problems are gone.
The pci/Agp lock works with the new bios and have heared ppl hiting HTT of 270 and up with a 3500+ stable.

Riptide
06-17-04, 04:28 PM
I was just about to mention I had read a few reviews and found out the PCI lock was busted. Glad it's fixed. Now I just have to resist the urge to order one of these things. Might be difficult. :p

Early adopter... I know I'll regret it, but why do I still feel compelled to do this? Could it be... Satan? :D

Gator
06-18-04, 07:41 AM
Well I can assure you that the Athlon64 is bug free by itself. These chips are just fantastic, my father has been running one for months with no problems, and mine is the mail right now. So have no fears about the CPU, and yes it will out perform your current P4 so it's worth it.

Now as for the motherboard, fresh silicon is always nerve racking, and I gotta tell ya there are only two s939 board available as of today and they're both VIA chipsets. And I agree with you I've had bad experiences with VIA in the past. VIA is supposedly much more stable now though, but if I were spending all that money for an s939 cpu, I'd want some reassurence that it'll work well. My advice is to wait a few more weeks for the Nforce3 250 s939 boards to hit the stores, in fact they could be here any day now ;). You'll sleep easier I think.

Dazz
06-18-04, 09:29 AM
Well i am going to try this PCI lock thing then. as i am having problems gettering over 227MHz without my RAID Array falling over.

Dazz
06-18-04, 09:48 AM
The PCI lock an't fixed i dropped my multiplire down to 9 and increased my FSB to 250MHz dropped my HTT to 400MHz and manually set my memory setting to 2.5/4/4/7. I am using PC4000 and i know it can easily do 533MHz I even increased my Vcore just incase, nothting. As such the PCI lock an't fixed, this is with the 1003 BIOS too.

Riptide
06-18-04, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I've been hearing elsewhere that it isn't really fixed either. Sounds like the K8T800 should be avoided.

Actually, I've temporarily shelved my plan to upgrade to the 64 for now. I saw this:
http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/amd/939/

And I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed. It'll cost me upwards of $850 to get an FX53 and a motherboard for what, at best a 25% speed increase overall vs. what I have now? That's not worth it to me.

That said, I know other people like Sazar who have personal experience and swear up and down not to listen to those benchmarks, that it really does feel MUCH faster, etc.. But I dunno... Seeing as it's a bad time to buy right now w/regard to the chipset situation (need that nf3 250 for s939 badly) and also that I don't have enough cash quite yet I think I'm going to hold out until the FX55 is released. Then I might pull the trigger...

Dazz
06-18-04, 10:31 AM
I just got this board to last be till PCI EX 16x comes out with a NF3 Ultra.

|JuiceZ|
06-18-04, 10:36 AM
And I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed. It'll cost me upwards of $850 to get an FX53 and a motherboard for what, at best a 25% speed increase overall vs. what I have now? That's not worth it to me.

Thats exactly why I went the nf3 250/s754 route. It'll hold me off until PCI-e goes mainstream, which even then won't be that big a deal since we still don't max out AGP8x.

And in respect to the feedback from Sazar, its really the initial jump to the a64 platform that makes the biggest difference overall, not just specficially the s939 socket.

Dazz
06-18-04, 10:53 AM
Well as soon as the A64 3500+ & any S939 board came out i bought it i have been waiting for this platform for sooooo long. Very happy with my A64 3500+ although a better o/cing board would of been nice i.e locked PCI/APG.

{Sniping}Waste
06-18-04, 11:37 AM
Read this thread with a person with a working lock with a new bios.
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=328743

Sazar
06-18-04, 01:50 PM
dazz... what board are you using?

Dazz
06-18-04, 02:39 PM
ASUS A8V Deluxe Wireless Edition (VIA K8T800Pro)
I tried the 1005 BIOS but the PCI/AGP lock didn't work with me, the system just won't boot up when you for the PCI to run at 66MHz, i might try 75MHz and see if that does anything.

Riptide
06-18-04, 02:45 PM
Looks like according to xbitlabs the FX57 won't be out until Q1 or Q2 of next year and the FX55 won't be out until Q4 of this year. Bummer... Looks like I'll be waiting a while before I bite on a s939 then, unless prices really come down on say the 3800+.

Dazz
06-18-04, 03:17 PM
Yeah 2.6GHz is quite high for Athlons.