PDA

View Full Version : Building a new system. Need opinions and case suggestion.

jcossin
06-18-04, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking of building a new system, buying the parts off NewEgg.

What do you all think of this setup?

Athlon FX53 CPU
Asus A8V Deluxe WiFi K8T800 Pro Motherboard
1GB of Corsair DDR400 Extreme Memory
WD 74GB 10,000RPM Raptor

I'd use my existing:
16x DVDRom
Pioneer DVR107 DVD-R
ATI 9800XT (Until I can get a 6800)
SB Audigy2

Is this the best CPU/Mobo/RAM combo out there?

Also, any recommendations for a case. That motherboard looks to be a beast!

lightman
06-18-04, 01:21 PM
I'd go with the Corsair TwinX 1024-3200XL Pro.

The Raptor is fast and all, but it's loud and hot as hell, not to mention the price. Unless you're goin to do a lot of video editing, I'd go with a couple of Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 160 Gb in RAID 1, almost the same price, more than twice the storage, fast read, good write, fault tollerant. Otherwise, shoudl you want top performance, go with two 120 Gb in RAID 0, almost three time the storage of the raptor, really good perfs, and almost the same price.

Oh, and did I mention that the Maxtor are almost completely silent ? ;)

Btw, I'd pair the FX53 with a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu (unless you're goin watercooling) ...

Sazar
06-18-04, 01:54 PM
not bad... consider getting a separate cooling unit from the stock.. its not necessary since the stock is not bad but if you are going to be playing with mults certainly consider it..

also if you don't have a decent psu go out and invest in a GOOD one...

18A on the 12v rail is the min... try and get something that is significantly higher to give you more headroom and consequently more stability :)

the raptor is fast but you have to decide if you need it...

if you were going to splurge I'd recommend getting 2 raptors and striping them... btw I am partial to the diamondmax series due to them being fast enough and also very quiet :D

so all-in-all good system... dbl check the PSU though...

Pandora's Box
06-18-04, 02:17 PM
i would consider taking a look at the abit a8v. it doesnt have wifi ability but its cheaper than the asus.

Sazar
06-18-04, 02:21 PM
btw whats the budget for the case? and what all are you looking for in it?

I personally favor clean lines and lots and lots of space :)

jcossin
06-18-04, 09:23 PM
I'd go with the Corsair TwinX 1024-3200XL Pro.

The Raptor is fast and all, but it's loud and hot as hell, not to mention the price. Unless you're goin to do a lot of video editing, I'd go with a couple of Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 160 Gb in RAID 1, almost the same price, more than twice the storage, fast read, good write, fault tollerant. Otherwise, shoudl you want top performance, go with two 120 Gb in RAID 0, almost three time the storage of the raptor, really good perfs, and almost the same price.

Oh, and did I mention that the Maxtor are almost completely silent ? ;)

Btw, I'd pair the FX53 with a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu (unless you're goin watercooling) ...

That cooler looks great, and the reviewer on NewEgg says he is overclocking his FX53 with it! It looks big though! Think it's work on the Asus A8V? There is a row of capacitors by the socket...

jcossin
06-18-04, 09:25 PM
not bad... consider getting a separate cooling unit from the stock.. its not necessary since the stock is not bad but if you are going to be playing with mults certainly consider it..

also if you don't have a decent psu go out and invest in a GOOD one...

18A on the 12v rail is the min... try and get something that is significantly higher to give you more headroom and consequently more stability :)

the raptor is fast but you have to decide if you need it...

if you were going to splurge I'd recommend getting 2 raptors and striping them... btw I am partial to the diamondmax series due to them being fast enough and also very quiet :D

so all-in-all good system... dbl check the PSU though...

Anandtech recommended the Antec True Power 430W, so I was gonna get that. I have an Enermax 430W in my Dell right now and that's nice too.

Yeah, I don't know about the raptor if it's too noisy. I'm pretty spoiled by my Dell now it is SO quiet, but I really want an Athlon 64 and Dell is stupid for not building them.

jcossin
06-29-04, 09:10 PM
Well I built my new rig and it's killer! Specs are in my sig. I used my Enermax 430W quiet power supply and the system is VERY quiet overall!

I went with an Enermax case from NewEgg and I like it a lot:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-124-060&depa=1

The high gloss black auto paint on the case is awesome!

Thanks all for suggestions and recommendations. I definitely recommend this system to anyone! I bought the parts from NewEgg and it was super easy to build.

strk
06-29-04, 09:18 PM
Congrts and have fun with your new system.