PDA

View Full Version : New System, lots a moneh!!

Head_slinger
06-18-04, 03:30 PM
AMD Athlon 64 3500 (Socket 939) - Retail
Asus A8V Deluxe (Socket 939) Wireless Edition Motherboard
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX
Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Expert (Inc. Remote Control)
2x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB SATA 8MB Cache
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache
Antec TruePower 430W PSU
Cheiftec BX

£1,050 :retard:

Thats 2 years worth of savings nearly :O

Should last me a while hopefully, just wondering how well my GF4 will scale with it?

Thanks

FastM
06-18-04, 03:53 PM
I would go easy on the new Harddrives and throw in the cheapest 9800Pro you can find.

Apart from that, nice system :)

Gator
06-18-04, 03:54 PM
Your CPU's gaming performance will be completely bottlenecked by your GF4 TI4400. In fact the GF4TI was maxed out a while ago, even with a powerful CPU like that you're gonna be limited by what resolution and how many frames per second you'll get. And you can forget about using AA/AF or any DX9 games.

May I make a suggestion? Instead of buying such a powerful A64 solution, get a more modest A64 like the 3200, and use the extra money you would have spent towards a new Geforce 6800 video card.

Gator
06-18-04, 03:55 PM
I would go easy on the new Harddrives and throw in the cheapest 9800Pro you can find.

Apart from that, nice system :)

Actually that's another excellent idea, forget the RAID setup and the Raptor, just get one 200gig SATA hard drive and use the left over money toward a new video card.

Dazz
06-19-04, 02:13 AM
Yeah the GF4 will bottleneck you quite abit, my Radeon 9800Pro is my bottleneck at the moment :o

U getting yours from www.overclockers.co.uk ?

Head_slinger
06-19-04, 07:14 AM
yeah, overclockers and aria.

Im hoping to upgrade graphics at a later date, something powerful whatever that is at the time :). The storage is actually more important to me than graphics at the moment, thats the reason for raid setup.

Thanks for advice.

Head_slinger
06-19-04, 11:20 AM
1 other thing guys.

Is there anyway of me using my old Alpha PAL8045. The mounting holes look similar on the board so im thinking they havent changed. The CPU is retail so i will get a heatsink, just im sure my Alpha will perform much better.

Sazar
06-19-04, 11:35 AM
if you have an adapter perhaps...

the mounting mechanism for a socket 754/940/939 is different from the rest of the line and also different from p4 socket 478's..

there is a backplate that goes BENEATH the motherboard and the bracket surrounding the cpu is basically bolted onto the backplate with the motherboard sandwiched in the middle.. the backplate allows for heavier heatsinks to be mounted and also maintain the required amount of force to be applied onto the cpu...

some companies provide an adapter that allows you to plug in an existing hsf onto the new bracket or to screw in a different mechanism that will hold the hsf on...

you might want to have a look around... but if you are getting a retail cpu the stock hsf is more than adequate for now...

CaptNKILL
06-19-04, 06:24 PM
Just curious(maybe none of my business), but what do you need 430Gigs of hard drive space for? :wtf:

Head_slinger
06-19-04, 06:29 PM
hmm, RAW dvd editing basically :)

1 DVD can be 7 gigs in size, and i work on quite a few at one time so... :)

That ontop of all my games, 1 game is about 4-7 gig each. It all adds up. This space should last me years though hopefully.

Head_slinger
06-19-04, 06:37 PM
Also, 2 harddrives on Raid-0, gonna be pretty quick :)

BTW, ive dropped the raptor from the order, and bought a new DVD drive instead :D One of the pioneer slot loaders.