PDA

View Full Version : wow...alienware dual cards.

Bad_Boy
06-18-04, 10:00 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/18/news_6100971.html

i wish i was bill gates.

Underzenith
06-18-04, 10:01 PM
LOL I get 134 with default settings on 3DMark03 on a good day.

Bad_Boy
06-18-04, 10:06 PM
alienware should have tested with default settings and WHQL'ed drivers. and then put them on FM. lol would have put macci to shame.

Jarred
06-18-04, 10:38 PM
man, I wish there was a normal way for people who build their own machines to do that.

it's just, Alienware is gonna rip me on normal parts, ... that machine is NOT worth 5000 to me, as, I can get 2 KICK ASS machines for that price.

Bad_Boy
06-18-04, 10:43 PM
77% increase w/ no aa/af ....hmmm
normal 6800U's get like what 11-13k stock? that would be like 19-23k (off the top of my head)

O_O ...and without fancy liquid nitrogen cooling setups. god i need to win the lotto.

kahloq
06-18-04, 10:52 PM
man, I wish there was a normal way for people who build their own machines to do that.

it's just, Alienware is gonna rip me on normal parts, ... that machine is NOT worth 5000 to me, as, I can get 2 KICK ASS machines for that price.

Yeah but your forgetting its also water cooled too. Its not meant to be for those ppl that build their own systems. Its meant for the wallet thick ppl with money who want the best of the best(times 2) without doing it themselves

Helanic Frost
06-18-04, 10:53 PM
Give it 6 months to a Year and i bet NVIDIA comes up with a solution like this for the build it yourselfers packaged with one of their motherboards.

Jarred
06-18-04, 10:56 PM
Yeah but your forgetting its also water cooled too. Its not meant to be for those ppl that build their own systems. Its meant for the wallet thick ppl with money who want the best of the best(times 2) without doing it themselves

still not worth 5 grand dude. You'd be silly to buy that machine.

not saying people won't, because people buy Hummers. :)

Banko
06-18-04, 10:56 PM
It's 77% with 8xaa and 8x af.

Carbon Unit
06-19-04, 12:43 AM
$5000, I think I will pass on that one, it will be outdated by this time next year

NoWayDude
06-19-04, 02:48 PM
Any bets on this tecnhology being available around this time next year, and at a slightly cheaper price?

kahloq
06-19-04, 05:53 PM
doubtful alienware spent alot of money developing this as a selling tool. Just like the predator cases. it wont be for sale as a seperate part.

Helanic Frost
06-19-04, 07:16 PM
doubtful alienware spent alot of money developing this as a selling tool. Just like the predator cases. it wont be for sale as a seperate part.

Yeah but companies like NVIDIA and ATI may well develop something like that for the do it yourselfers. Don't forget NVIDIA builds mobo chipsets too.

wilson
06-19-04, 08:12 PM
You don't need a new MB chipset, all you need is a PCI-Express switch chip. It's kinda like putting in an Ethernet switch when you need to connect multiple computers. There's this company called IMC Semiconductor that makes a switch chip to do multiple PEG slots. Their site is down right now so maybe they're out of biz.

kahloq
06-19-04, 09:04 PM
Yeah but companies like NVIDIA and ATI may well develop something like that for the do it yourselfers. Don't forget NVIDIA builds mobo chipsets too.

Yes, but who do you think Alienware had to make deals with in order to get the new mobo to function correctly with BOTH types of cards(ati and nvidia). They will not create something like alienware did for 2 reasons. 1) Contracts with alienware. 2) alienware has copyrighted and trademarked the designs. If another company tried to do it, Alienware can and will take legal remedies against them. Dont hold your breath about someone else doing it in the near future.

Helanic Frost
06-19-04, 09:13 PM
Yes, but who do you think Alienware had to make deals with in order to get the new mobo to function correctly with BOTH types of cards(ati and nvidia). They will not create something like alienware did for 2 reasons. 1) Contracts with alienware. 2) alienware has copyrighted and trademarked the designs. If another company tried to do it, Alienware can and will take legal remedies against them. Dont hold your breath about someone else doing it in the near future.

Copyrighting and trademarking does not equal a patent. Building a mobo with a bridgechip to accomplish the same goal wouldn't infringe on a copyright or trademark unless they used the same names for the technology and branding of it.

Many companies make graphics cards, mobos, cpus, networking cards etc... Someone else making their own version of this is no different. Although whether that happens or not depends on if it's succesful and there is a demand for it. I just don't see how an idea like this could catch on if it's alienware exclusive. Every single part in a PC can be bought from one vendor or another. This would be the first time ever that something like this stayed exclusive to one company.

wilson
06-19-04, 09:56 PM
Parallel distributed rendering is nothing new. Alienware might be able to patent some specific implemention of their combiner card.

JoKeRr
06-20-04, 01:06 AM
damn, i need more money!! paying university tuition sux :(