PDA

View Full Version : How can i damage my card for RMA?

Headbust
06-18-04, 11:24 PM
Alright dont jump to conclusions guys... I just wanna know, The card seems to be getting worse and worse as the weeks go by.

I was thinking upping the mem to 6 trillion mhz :angel2:

Do companys usually give flack about overclocked cards showing up for RMA that are damaged?>

EDIT: It has nothing to do with my system either or temp files/spyware ect..ect.. im a master of keeping my pc clean. Even tried a reformat and it wasnt any better.

Geforce 4 series

pjstp20
06-18-04, 11:28 PM
Yeah, overclocking pretty much nullifies any warrenties.

jdunlap
06-18-04, 11:31 PM
if there is something wrong with your card, then get it RMA'ed.. If not, then you are just being greedy, and trying to screw the company... Don't do that. But you could always give it a little "extra" juice from the socket.. But I would sort of hope that you would be caught if you did that, just because it increases the cost of new cards for the rest of us, or puts good people out of a job.

Headbust
06-18-04, 11:34 PM
Im not trying to screw the company over. There are no artifacts or nothing with the card playing games or glitches. But there is a steady decrease in performance as the weeks go by and i feel that if I RMA it they will say " we do not see any errors or graphical encounters"

mattkenn_4545
06-18-04, 11:48 PM
Why dont you reinstall windows see if that fixes it. Windows is a bitch and it does slowly(quickly) get slower over time. End all unneeded processes and go to here http://iamnotageek.com/articles.php?aid=10&page=1&topic=Windows_XP_Performance_Tweaking_Guide
if you have XP.

Also if you arn't already overclock it alittle. My gforce 4 Ti 4200 64mb gets about 13000 in 3dmark 2001 see how yours compares before and after you do the optimizations you will be amazed :lol2: also make sure you have no adware or spyware. Two great apps for dealing with that is adaware by lavasoft and spybot search and Destroy. (By the way my card overclocks to about 290 for the core and 580 mem thats from 250,513 not bad at all.)

By the way thanks for reply back on my driver problem :lol2:

Ruined
06-19-04, 12:02 AM
Im not trying to screw the company over. There are no artifacts or nothing with the card playing games or glitches. But there is a steady decrease in performance as the weeks go by and i feel that if I RMA it they will say " we do not see any errors or graphical encounters"

Thing is "Steady decrease in performance," how do you think this is related to a hardware failure? Sounds more like a software problem. Also, most companies will check to see if you abused the card via overclocking or other methods when RMAing.

Try cleaning out Windows. If you are still dissatisfied with the performance, its probably just cause games have been getting steadily more graphically intense recently. Save up then sell the card on eBay, and buy a new card.

Headbust
06-19-04, 12:17 AM
As posted in my orginall post i stated that i reformatted/reinstalled windows. I realize all the things that can slow down PC and such as i am a tweaking freak. I disable any services that aint needed and clean my pc 2-3 times a week with 3-4 different spyware removal programs alont with registery compressors. The system itself blazes but the cards performance decrease is the card itself. I was getting about 15,000 3dmarks in 2k1 but it has dropped to about 8,000 right now and keeps dropping. (no aa/af is not on). I have no viruses or trojans, temps are clean, drive is defragged every 2-3 days. Basically Ive been looking into this for weeks and i have narrowed it down to the card itself. Case temp during the summer right now is 30c idle/40c gaming

Do you guys know of anything that would cause a decrease of performance like this without any graphical errors?

Headbust
06-19-04, 12:18 AM
Thing is "Steady decrease in performance," how do you think this is related to a hardware failure? Sounds more like a software problem. Also, most companies will check to see if you abused the card via overclocking or other methods when RMAing.

Try cleaning out Windows. If you are still dissatisfied with the performance, its probably just cause games have been getting steadily more graphically intense recently. Save up then sell the card on eBay, and buy a new card.

I only play 1 game = Half life and its mods. Although I do keep bench records of other games i tryout so whenever i switch drivers i can compare and such. The same is happening in all games

Headbust
06-19-04, 12:21 AM
Im awaiting a 6800 as we speak. But Im not going to sell my card off and give other people the headaches i have been having with it. So i figured i would RMA it, they would probably send me a 5600/5700 or something along those lines and i would sell that really cheap to someone after i get my 6800.

Also...I think i forgot to mention i tried the card out in a different system

Lezmaka
06-19-04, 01:02 AM
It's very simple.

If there's a problem with the card, RMA it.

If there isn't a problem and you purposefully damage it, try to RMA it, you most likely won't succeed and will end up with a nice paperweight.

Jedi Rainman
06-19-04, 01:06 AM
Purposely messing up your card to get a new one is wrong. Thats like walking into a store and buying a PlayStation 2, then going home, spray painting your PSone black, then returning it as a defective PS2 when it indeed is not... :lame:

CaptNKILL
06-19-04, 02:28 AM
Purposely messing up your card to get a new one is wrong. Thats like walking into a store and buying a PlayStation 2, then going home, spray painting your PSone black, then returning it as a defective PS2 when it indeed is not... :lame:
Not really... lol

What you are saying is like buying a Geforce 6800, sticking a large cooler on your Geforce 4 and RMAing that in place of the 6800 :p

On the topic of RMA cards, I never really saw the problem with sending cards to get RMAd even if they arent broken. It may not seem "ethical" but, you have to put things into perspective. It probably hurts the end user more to keep the card that they arent satisfied with then it does for the manufacturer to get it and possibly repair and resell it. Just my .02.

BTW, its funny when people say it makes the cards cost more when you "cheat" the manufacturers like this. I think it was 1997 when the Voodoo 2 SLI was available. I remember seeing the dual 12Mb (24Mb total) Obsidian cards retailing around $800. The power of the 6800 Ultra is significantly (understatement) better than that card obviously, and today you can get one of those for under $550 (with an MSRP of $500). Things arent getting more expensive by any stretch of the imagination :retard:

zer0xp
06-19-04, 03:20 AM

From what i have gathered, his card has been performing worse as time goes by, and he has tried formatting, another PC, etc etc. He wants to mess up the card to RMA it and get it replaced for sure, not have them plug it in and see it works... and then send it back.
So, in other words, your example is wrong. He is not trying to steal a new card from the company and sending in a slower card like your example implies.
Anyway, from the things you said you did so far (Format, try another pc), I would definately think it is a hardware problem. Did you have the card overclocked?

nvnews-reader
06-19-04, 03:53 AM
From what i have gathered, his card has been performing worse as time goes by, and he has tried formatting, another PC, etc etc. He wants to mess up the card to RMA it and get it replaced for sure, not have them plug it in and see it works... and then send it back.
So, in other words, your example is wrong. He is not trying to steal a new card from the company and sending in a slower card like your example implies.
Anyway, from the things you said you did so far (Format, try another pc), I would definately think it is a hardware problem. Did you have the card overclocked?

I've never heard of a card slowing down over time by itself. I think he is either imaging a slow down or making it up. If his card was really damaged it would malfunction not just slow down. This i can guarantee.

I agree with others that if someone intentionally tries to damage their card they are cheating the company and shouldn't get any service. And it does increase the cost for everyone else as well as limiting the warranty companies are willing to offer on their products.

Also if he's already getting a 6800 he should just sell his card for cheap because its not worth that much anyway. Or he should just junk it or give it to someone who doesn't have anything better.

Ruined
06-19-04, 07:56 AM
Yeh honestly I've never heard of a card slowing down, UNLESS its a GeForce FX 5800/5900/5950 series card that is overheating and throttling itself down to 2D speed (or failing to recognize 3d mode and running in 2d mode clocks all the time).

Headbust, do you have a GFX 5800/5900/5950?

TacT
06-19-04, 10:56 AM
The guys card is faulty, he should rma.
My ti4200 has been clocked up and down like a yoyo for years and runs as well as the day I purchased and installed it then, as it does now. Currently with a zalman heatpipe sitting on it.
A card should not start slowing down and dying like that and imo reveals a fault with it, please correct me if I'm wrong although obviously if you were constantly overclocking at the cards limit, to take an obvious and common example:- running 3dmark while artifacting on screen just to get that pointless high score to submit as your result then you are inded a fool and do not deserve a new card, overclock safely, same goes for cpu's. :p.