PDA

View Full Version : how long will 6800 ultra last?

Pandora's Box
06-19-04, 06:29 PM
ok i think im gonna go all out on my next upgrade...

amd 64 fx53, 6800 ultra..

im just curious though. how long will it be before i have to fork out another 500 bucks to get max performance? 2? 3 years?

Jedi Rainman
06-19-04, 06:31 PM
6 months...when the next GeForce comes out...maybe less than 6 months actually

Draconis
06-19-04, 06:32 PM
yea id say a year or 2 im with you on that dave

Pandora's Box
06-19-04, 06:35 PM
rainman your thinking how long will it last till the next video card comes out. i want to get a 500 dollar card knowing that in 6 months time there wont be a card out with 50 percent performance increase.

CaptNKILL
06-19-04, 06:50 PM
rainman your thinking how long will it last till the next video card comes out. i want to get a 500 dollar card knowing that in 6 months time there wont be a card out with 50 percent performance increase.
This generation was a rarity because it actually offered HUGE performance increases. I dont think we will see another bunch of cards with this kind of improvement for a loooong time. In fact, i dont remember seeing any cards with this big of a performance improvement since the first 3d accelerators. Although the 9700 Pro was probably the closest. And that was almost 2 years ago so, id say, 6800 Ultra will be high end for 2 more years.

Pandora's Box
06-19-04, 06:56 PM
i might just wait to see what nv48 has to offer.

scott123
06-19-04, 06:58 PM
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.....wait, wait, wait. :rolleyes:

Just get the Ultra and enjoy because there will ALWAYS be something better coming.

Pandora's Box
06-19-04, 07:01 PM
scott so true is dat. heh. must quit waiting hehe. although the move from geforce 2 gts to 9700pro was worth the wait hah.

Banko
06-19-04, 08:23 PM
Well, you can get a BFG 6800U wait 3 years, make the fan die somehow and get a NV48 lol, but that is abusing of the warranty.

Sazar
06-19-04, 08:26 PM
i've had a 9700pro since a coupla year's ago october-ish :)

its still going strong and I am still happy.. yes I would love a top of the line card but I spose a new card like the nv40 or r420 should last a year or so unless you have the moolah to keep shelling out for new stuff all the time...

agp should be nearing the end of its life-span in a year and a bit...

Helanic Frost
06-19-04, 08:51 PM
Most video cards typically stay gameable for 4-5 years. Geforce 3-4s and older radeon 7000 series cards are still good cards and able to run most games albeit at lower quality settings due to less power and or lesser dx features.

I myself typically upgrade every 1 1/2-2 years but when i do i tend to buy close to the top of the line. Mid-range cards don't tend to get very much mileage because they simply don't have enough power for true staying power in upcoming games.

I play farcry at max detail settings using 8x AF and get very playable fps at around 22min/36avg/60max fps @ 1024/768 resolution with my BFG FX5900NU i bought last June. Farcry really pushes cards to their limits too btw, most games out and coming won't be that intensive.

Bottom line, a 6800 in any flavor is gonna be gameable for a long time to come. It's one of the pluses of buying a card at the high end, very high longetivity.

However if you are a fanatic about having to have the very best of the best all the time then you are going to be upgrading 2-3 times a year and not gaining all that much extra performance for the money. Till the 6800/800XT recently that has always stood true, however i don't see anymore giant leaps in performance again like that for 2-3 more years. my geforce 4 ti 4600 is still going strong in my son's pc and can still play about anything out there at acceptable framerates, just not at max settings.

To put it simply, buy a 6800 and enjoy it and you will get at least 2 years of very good gaming out of it at near max settings. Will there be better? Sure but nothing that major that suddenly you will be left in the dust and unable to play games acceptably.

Pandora's Box
06-19-04, 09:51 PM
heh. i originally had a 9700pro. i installed a zalman heatsink on it, borked the card grrr. so i grabbed a 9800pro. score 500 extra 3dmarks whoopy do! would of got another 9700pro if there were any and if the price was like 50 bucks cheaper than a 9800pro but it was like 10 bucks so i figured meh get the 9800pro. *makes a mental note not to mod the 6800 ultra*

CoSWill
06-19-04, 10:24 PM
This is AGP's last Hurrah right? So I say get one now and get about a year out of your antique machines before you have to replace everything lol.

Sgt_Pitt
06-19-04, 11:40 PM
This is AGP's last Hurrah right? So I say get one now and get about a year out of your antique machines before you have to replace everything lol.

Last Hurrah ?? pfft when will games or programs say "sorry i wont run youve got AGP" ?? :D

MUYA
06-20-04, 12:17 AM
AGP won't be disappearing for a while. Too many computers in the world to suddently change that. maybe 2-3 years time AGP will have vanished...thats being overly optimisic

wilson
06-20-04, 12:58 AM
Will MB makers keep churning out AGP? Seems like the chipset makers are shifting to PCI-Express. New CPUs will require a new MB. If one has an AGP card, one may not be able to upgrade to much faster CPU.

bkswaney
06-20-04, 01:26 AM
Will MB makers keep churning out AGP? Seems like the chipset makers are shifting to PCI-Express. New CPUs will require a new MB. If one has an AGP card, one may not be able to upgrade to much faster CPU.

Yes. You will see AGP for 2 more years at least.
PCI-E will be high end only for at least 12 months.

wilson
06-20-04, 01:28 AM
I'm curious what new AGP chipsets will support the future Intel processors with 1066MHz bus and beyond. Is there anything even rumored?

kahloq
06-20-04, 01:58 AM
well AGP will continue to be supported for some time. AS 90% of all the pcs on the planet have agp. Also Nvidia had leaked that NV48 will be an agp part. PCI-express will come, but not full mainstream for a few yrs. SO dont worry

wilson
06-20-04, 02:17 AM
Yes, AGP will be "supported" but if you want to upgrade to a faster CPU, it's looking like PCI-Express only.

It comes down to your time horizon. I wouldn't mind spending $500 on a new AGP card right now knowing I'll have to throw it away when I upgrade my system in 9 months; but nVidia crippled their driver so that I'll have to spend $1600 on the Quadro FX 4000 in order to drive my monitor. It'd be insane for me to throw that away in 9 months.

Son Goku
06-20-04, 03:11 AM
This generation was a rarity because it actually offered HUGE performance increases. I dont think we will see another bunch of cards with this kind of improvement for a loooong time. In fact, i dont remember seeing any cards with this big of a performance improvement since the first 3d accelerators. Although the 9700 Pro was probably the closest. And that was almost 2 years ago so, id say, 6800 Ultra will be high end for 2 more years.

Yeah, things haven't been like they were the first few years with the 3D industry, though up to the GeForce 3s, an argument could be made for a fair increase about once a year or so...

I'm not sure they would just drop AGP right away though... There is a possible issue of turning away customers who might be looking to upgrade, at least initially.

Eventually however, it will make sense to have a newer card along with a newer CPU (as if the card is too out of date, it will really be holding the system back). Think GeForce 256 (or perhaps TNT2 gen card) in an Athlon 64... It would be almost silly :D

Sazar
06-20-04, 03:33 AM
don't dismiss agp as the primary port just yet :)

many system still come equipped with a uber mongo pci gfx card :D

agp will be around for a while... not sure if there is going to be much more the gfx card makers will invest into agp but the standard itself is unlikely to be going anywhere soon...

nvnews-reader
06-20-04, 09:01 AM
I think the best deal if you want to conserve money is to get a $200 midrange card. Then you can upgrade twice as often for the same money. And you will have better performance after you upgrade at the mid point than if you went with a $500 card. And you'll need more performance in a year than you do now.