PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket cooler for 6800!!!!!!!?

grimreefer
06-19-04, 10:18 PM
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013
works on 6800 series, right?

stncttr908
06-19-04, 10:37 PM
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013
works on 6800 series, right?
Doubtful. Perhaps it would with the optional 80mm fan. Anything else wouldn't remove heat effectively enough I don't believe.

Vyper
06-20-04, 06:03 AM
I really hope so, my fear is that when my 6800U finally appears i wouldn't be satisfied with the noice level.

I'm used to have a Zalman ZM80 without a fan on my R9700Pro and i could play for hours and hours to come, so please Nv don't dissappoint me. :retard:

ekovalsky
06-20-04, 08:31 AM
I have a ZM-80C with the ZM-OP1 fan new in box waiting (got from Case-Mod.com for $35 delivered during a sale) for either my X800XT or 6800UOC, whichever arrives first.

I know it will fit the ATI card and it should fit the Nv too. With the optional fan (and two side panel case fans just above and below the video slot directed right at the huge heatsinks) I expect this combo to surpass the stock cooling at lower volume.

Vyper
06-20-04, 11:48 AM
Could you please report temperatures and so when you've done the mod? That would be very appreciated if you do.. Thinking of perhaps doing the same.

Pandora's Box
06-20-04, 11:51 AM
Quite frankly I wouldnt risk it. On a 500 dollar video card its not worth it, plus zalman video coolers arent the best.

grimreefer
06-20-04, 01:14 PM
Quite frankly I wouldnt risk it. On a 500 dollar video card its not worth it, plus zalman video coolers arent the best.
beats the crap out of stock 6800gt .
gold plated heatpipes!!!!!
woot

Pandora's Box
06-20-04, 02:40 PM
beats the crap out of stock 6800gt .
gold plated heatpipes!!!!!
woot

:angel2:

lightman
06-20-04, 02:54 PM
plus zalman video coolers arent the best.

And from where does your confidence in this statement come ? Zalman gfx coolers (that is, the ZM80 line) have always received the praise of the reviewers, afaik.

Pandora's Box
06-20-04, 03:28 PM
im just highly doubting that they could cool better than a stock cooler. especially on the new 6800 line.

grimreefer
06-20-04, 03:43 PM
im just highly doubting that they could cool better than a stock cooler. especially on the new 6800 line.
plus, u could have all the power from the molexes to go to ur core and ram.
no need to power stock fan anymore. :)
and the 6800gt cooling isnt that great. Ultra leaves much too be desired as well.
this thing must have at least quadrouple the amount of surface area as the ultra's stock cooling. :clap:

Helanic Frost
06-20-04, 04:00 PM
plus, u could have all the power from the molexes to go to ur core and ram.
no need to power stock fan anymore. :)
and the 6800gt cooling isnt that great. Ultra leaves much too be desired as well.
this thing must have at least quadrouple the amount of surface area as the ultra's stock cooling. :clap:

I agree, zalman is a superior cooling solution. I just don't like doing a cooling mod myself. That's why i tend to wait for BFG to release their own cooling solutions on their cards. I love my FX5900NU, very cool and looks great!

grimreefer
06-20-04, 04:02 PM
i used to have a good looking bfg 5950.
but it was broken, and had to rma.
now i have a leadtek 5900ultra

lightman
06-20-04, 04:41 PM

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29835

without the ZM-OP1 fan, the ZM80D-HP is able to cool a FX5950 almost like the stock cooler (as you can see in my other post, and in the review therein linked, it gets only 10C warmer than the stock one after 3hrs of 3DMark03, and it's passive). So I guess that with the ZM-OP1 fan (or another 80mm or 120mm fan (if you can find a way to attach it to the ZM80D-HP), it could cool a 6800GT without problems, and maybe even a 6800U...

grimreefer
06-20-04, 07:59 PM
it kinda sux without the fan. with it, it pwnz
this was on the zm80c on a 9700
but results should be similiar
http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/cooling/2003/ZalmanZM80C-HP/index.php?ez=3
note the last graph

lightman
06-21-04, 12:56 AM
it kinda sux without the fan. with it, it pwnz
this was on the zm80c on a 9700
but results should be similiar
http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/cooling/2003/ZalmanZM80C-HP/index.php?ez=3
note the last graph

You should note the first one, instead. With the ZM80C the max attainable o/c is higher than the one with the standard cooling, and this means that the ZM80C, passive, cools better than the standard active cooler.

Moreover, the ZM80D has a dissipation surface area of 1350 cm2, vs 1200 of the ZM80C. This is an increase of more than 10% the area, thus the D should be able to cool better than the C. Couple this with the double HP, and you should have an even higher cooling ability.

Anyway, since it looks like clicking on a link and then following another one is too hard, I give the link to the ZM80D review here, too :

http://www.materiel.be/refroid/zm80dhp/page1.php (again, it's in french, so if you can't read it, use babelfish, or yahoo, or whatever you like)

Vyper
07-22-04, 04:30 AM
I Managed to fit a Zalman ZM80C with some heavy modifications on my newly invested Inno3D 6800 Ultra. The only extra parts i needed was two small screws and two nuts small enough to go thorugh the original cooling hole. Ofcourse i fitted Zalman ram heatsinks and an extra OPT1 fan on it. And the temperature is overall down 10 degrees celsius. The cool plates had to be slightly rotated upwards some degrees so the pipeline wouldn't block one molex connector and yes the pipeline was a slight 1-2 mm above the rear heatradiator over the powerconverter slightly behind the molex connectors..

Soo all in all i'm not sure that anyone really has fitted their 6800U with a new cooling design..

For all of you out there which wonders how the sound level is then all in all i can say that the fan level is really pleasant but it has a high tone pitch which you can hear outside the computer room in a rather silent environment. Exchanging the original fan was a pleasure to get rid of the high pitched original fan sound..

I wish i had a digitalcamera to show you the beast, because this solution really rocked the original one..

Kind regards Vyper

Vyper
07-22-04, 04:32 AM
The dissapointment still is that i have that dreadfull 20-30 s lock in farcry and other applications.. The 12V line on ASUS probe says about 11.790 and it can go down to 11.6 sometimes and the 5V lies on 5.05 default and sometimes goes up to 5.1 approx. Has someone managed to identify which voltages the GFX require before it stalls??

Reg Vyper

imemine
07-22-04, 10:35 AM
zalmans own forum has two people who asked about the 6800 and the ZM80D, zalmans forum head told them that although the 80D would work with the 6800 line, theres a little problem with the alignment of holes for securing it on, and that theyd be putting out a revision of the 80D for the 6800 line, i couldnt tell if that meant weeks or months though, but they are focusing on it.
and i hope they come out with a newer power supply then the zm400, as 120mm fans and fanless PSUs are becoing more common and zalman only uses 80mm fans still...

Vyper
07-22-04, 11:05 AM
Flashed with the Leadtek bios as many has done here at this forum.. I think that it has stabilized rather significantly. But iäm not sure whether i should open up and trim my PSU just a notch so that 12 v line is about 12 volt and 5 volt line is about 4.999 as it used to be before my 6800U entered the box.

I adjusted the fan abit and used AS5 to lead the heat of. Now it's touching the 80 degrees celsius line and that with case closed etc.. Farcry load.. :)

Zetto
07-22-04, 01:28 PM
I dunno about zalman, I'm waiting for VGA silencer... I want to dump all 6800's heat outside my case, there is enough of it inside as it is ;) After I installed it on my Rad9800pro, case temp dropped by a 2-3c. After installing 6800gt, temp rose by about 4-5c (all with side panel closed).