PDA

View Full Version : A few 6800U problems...

jAkUp
06-20-04, 01:16 AM
So there I was... just browsing the forums, when the power message came up saying that I unplugged a molex!!! Now I have 2 dedicated Power plugs directly plugged into this bad boy, why did it give me that message?

Also, Windows has frozen a couple of times, and ocassionally I get texture corruption on the desktop... also FarCry boots me back to the deskop sometimes.. These are kinda rare, but still concerns for me. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping its just these beta drivers or SP2... The card is not currently overclocked.

sonyman
06-20-04, 01:18 AM
I doubt it would be SP2 causing this, but it might be the drivers. Check the rails on your PSU and make sure they are +/-10%.

Scott

-=DVS=-
06-20-04, 01:29 AM
Hmm some other guy haveing similar problem in other thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30360) wonder if you both have something in common !! same driver ect ect.

jAkUp
06-20-04, 01:31 AM
Hey I didnt notice that... thanx

aaahhh52
06-20-04, 01:43 AM
well with my 5950 ,just one random day i was in the middle of playing some Black Hawk Down, when i got the no power message, sometimes the message would multiplye so many times it would crash windows, and it happened right after i installed a new driver, so i switched out drivers, reformatted checked all the molexes and everything was fine, i pondered over this for a week or 2, then finally one day i was just too annoyed and decided to rip my system apart, i finnally took a real close look at the molex, it was a yellowish color, i then took a look at the pins and one of them was blackish, so i switched out another molex with it and it worked, somehow that molex had gotten fried, but if i remember correctly the first time i looked at it, it didn't seem discolored, it seemed like it proggresivly got worse, not saying that, thats your prob, but thats my story and what happened to mine

vläd
06-20-04, 01:45 AM
I'm running the full SP2 installation and 61.34 drivers. Haven't seen anything like that yet!

-=DVS=-
06-20-04, 01:59 AM
Molex issue looks very possible , wonder how to prevent it , i think very first review site or someone said not to use spliter and use separate line or molex will fry or somethink like that , as far as i remeber (mag)

scott123
06-20-04, 02:04 AM
I use the splitter, and overclock to 450MHz without issue.

Arioch
06-20-04, 03:38 AM
I use the splitter, and overclock to 450MHz without issue.

You have a beefier power supply than jAkUp although his is a name brand and should be more than sufficient. This bothers me because I am wondering if these cards pull more juice than anticipated. I am still willing to swap out my X800XT if the 6800 Ultra starts to appeal to me more and I already know I can offload my ATI card at almost no loss to me. I currently run a Enermax 550W so I should be okay I guess.

Sgt_Pitt
06-20-04, 04:43 AM
i had that too the other day jakup, i dint get the power message but my windows was textured and flashing as if trying to restore itself. needless to say i lowered the setting on the card a bit and it hasnt been back yet.

*touches wood

bmg
06-20-04, 11:41 AM
I haven't seen the problems (knock on wood).

kahloq
06-20-04, 12:00 PM
I wanted to mention something here just for info. I do not have a 6800 ultra yet!!!(on order), HOWEVER, this has been my experience using PowerStrip or the coolbits thing to change clock speeds on fx 5700 U.

After changing clock speeds from stock to anything...no matter how much of a difference, it will run fine for a few hours then the pc locks up. This will happen EVEN if I return the stock settings after only a quick O/C to run 3dmark03 or something. So, stock is 475/906 on my card. If i change it to say 500/980 for 10 minutes, and then back again to stock, it will still lock up after a few hours. However, if I mess with the settings, and then reboot, i do not get the lockup.

Just wanted to mention this, cuz it might be powerstrip or coolbits causing a leakage or something if a reboot is not done and therefore after awile it'll freeze. I should note, that I normally am running a game(Endless Ages... www.endlessagesportal.com) for hours or days at a time(even afk) with no problems at all, unless I mess with core/mem settings and dont reboot afterwards, even after returning to stock settings. Seems to happen sooner if using Powerstrip to change settings then if using coolbits, but eventually it does the same thing with coolbits. And no, its not a heat issue either

anzak
06-20-04, 12:13 PM
Damn. This has really got me worried. I was planning on buying the GT but my 420W Thermaltake PurePower only has 18A on the V12 line.

kahloq
06-20-04, 12:42 PM
The GT doesnt require as much juice as the ultra. If you've got a 420 with 18a on the 12 rail, you'll be fine

mario64
06-20-04, 12:50 PM
The only problem I'm having is with Call of Duty locking up and rebooting my computer. Browsing through several CoD forums revealed that this is a common problem with both ATI and NV cards which would indicate it's a game problem. I hope it's not NV driver or card related. I'm using the 61.34s.

Mario64

AthlonXP1800
06-20-04, 04:23 PM
I am surprised when I read all these post about 6800U and 5950U problems. Strange I hadnt got any problem with mine with SP2 RC2.

Jakup, you said your card is not oc, I guess your CPU still oc, first thing to do is to download Speed Fan 4.13 (http://www.almico.com/speedfan413.exe), it monitoring the power supply fan and check the power measure whether it is enough or bad to handle all devices, it will be useful to see what gone wrong with it and your 6800 Ultra power problem. I think SP2 caused all that problems, it bad idea to reinstall XP while you got SP2, it will messed up, best have a clean install. :)

lowdog
06-20-04, 05:35 PM
OK here is my story. I have had occasional screen corruption occur, it has only happened on a cold boot up, a reboot would fix it. The corruption would look like banded coloured lines running up and down the screen. Sometimes the whole screen would just be a messy miss mash of chequres.

This is the same problem I have had in the past with a 9700Pro and a 9800Pro so I don't think it is specific to the 6800U.

Anyway, I checked my power connectors to the card and realised I had the primary power conector on the card connected to a splitter cable and system fans. I changed that around and pluged a dedicated line into the primary connector on the card with nothing else on that line and put the splitter into the second connector on the card with the system fans. So far I have had no problems.

Watch your power connectors guys and which plug you are connecting onto the card. Make sure the cards primary connector is on it's own line with nothing else connected and make sure it's pluged in tightly.

I will report back later tolet you know if the cold boot issue has gone away. So far so good for the last few days, before that the cold boot corruption was fairly constant but as I mentioned it is not a specific problem to the 6800U.

I have never had corruption in games however only during boot up

This problem is not XPSP2 or DX9.0c specific. It happened the first time I pluged my card into my system and that was with DX9.0b and SP1.

It is also not specific to the 61.34 drivers. I'v had it with the 60.85's and the 61.11 drivers.

Clay
06-20-04, 05:39 PM
So there I was... just browsing the forums, when the power message came up saying that I unplugged a molex!!! Now I have 2 dedicated Power plugs directly plugged into this bad boy, why did it give me that message?

Also, Windows has frozen a couple of times, and ocassionally I get texture corruption on the desktop... also FarCry boots me back to the deskop sometimes.. These are kinda rare, but still concerns for me. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping its just these beta drivers or SP2... The card is not currently overclocked.
Are you sure that you did not change anything between the time prior to this occurring and now? It would be interesting to try something like reducing the number of power consuming components on your system to a bare minimum and see if you still have this problem. I've not experienced any problems like this (or otherwise) and I'm using the 61.34s as well, have been ever since I had the card. Also, I've been running on a clean install of XP SP2 the entire life of my card as well. Keep us updated. :)

JumboJack
06-20-04, 05:59 PM
Well there is no requirement to use the 6800ultra with SP2 or Directx9.0c so using those shouldn't really make a difference. There is no reason the card shouldn't run fine without those installed. I also don't know why this is a power issue since running both molexs on a splitter to one power cable is documented as sufficent in the installation instructions. Shouldn't there be a power warning if not enough juice is getting to the card anyway? And even if it was a power issue, why does the problem happen at boot up? This seems to be some kind of hardware defect with the first batch of cards.