PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading troubles

Hari Seldon
06-20-04, 03:03 AM
I have troubles with my upgrading.
Everything seems to go well when I install Win XP. Except that after formatting and installing files, when the computer boot, I get an error, Can't start the OS.
When trying to install Win 2000 I get another strange error:
\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe couldn't be read. Error code 7
or some INF file couldn't be read

My system:
Abit KV8 Pro
Athlon 64 3200+
Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu cpu cooler
2 x 512 Mb Kingston ValueRam PC3200
Antec True power 480 W
Hercules 9700 Pro
80 Gb 8 Mb cache WD HD

I've taken out all parts except the mobo and reinstalled the parts, but gets the same error. I've also reset the CMOS, but it didn't help.

Does anyone have any clue of what could be wrong?

Sazar
06-20-04, 03:14 AM
try sticking only one or the other memory stick... afaik the error arises from memory issues and this way you can diagnose if there is a problem per se.

also note any beep sequences on boot...

when installing XP i am assuming you have tried to changed your boot sequency to boot from the optical drive first...

Hari Seldon
06-20-04, 03:23 AM
No beeps.
What do you mean with optical drive? USB CD-Rom or?

I should have mentioned that I have a 1.44 Mb boot disk in my floppy drive, and it detects a diskette drive is connected, but it doesn't boot from the floppy, even though I have it as my forst boot option...
CD is second, and HD is third boot option...

Sazar
06-20-04, 03:25 AM
No beeps.
What do you mean with optical drive? USB CD-Rom or?

I should have mentioned that I have a 1.44 Mb boot disk in my floppy drive, and it detects a diskette drive is connected, but it doesn't boot from the floppy, even though I have it as my forst boot option...
CD is second, and HD is third boot option...

yah sry I shoulda specified :)

for the winxp boot do you also have a floppy?

also are you upgrading to winxp from win2k or is it a full install of winxp you have?

Hari Seldon
06-20-04, 03:34 AM
yah sry I shoulda specified :)

for the winxp boot do you also have a floppy?

also are you upgrading to winxp from win2k or is it a full install of winxp you have?
It's a full install Win XP CD I got with my original system. The Win 2000 CD is an upgrade CD for an older computer...

The boot disk is a boot disk created at work with Win XP.

Sazar
06-20-04, 03:39 AM
okies... well enter bios and mess around with the boot sequency...

its odd that nothing is appearing as you describe it other than a message saying you can't install..

what all do you have on your motherboard? make sure to play around with the memory or relax the timings on them in the bios to aid...

also have you set this system up before or is it the first time you are putting it together and installing a fresh o/s with it?

Hari Seldon
06-20-04, 03:50 AM
okies... well enter bios and mess around with the boot sequency...

its odd that nothing is appearing as you describe it other than a message saying you can't install..

what all do you have on your motherboard? make sure to play around with the memory or relax the timings on them in the bios to aid...

also have you set this system up before or is it the first time you are putting it together and installing a fresh o/s with it?
The message is more exactly (translated from swedish OS) "The operating system can not be started"
I have the memory settings at SPD, but I'll try raising the values.

I did raise the values, but no change...

Sazar
06-20-04, 04:27 AM
have you tried using only one module @ a time?

I had a problem getting my system going.. i removed everything cept one stick of ram, the cpu, psu and graphics card and thats it..

turned out it worked fine... hadn't been able to boot before due to sound card issues...

when you insert the winxp cd and boot frm it... its not giving you the option to install the os? ie boot from cd > install options ?

Hari Seldon
06-20-04, 04:38 AM
have you tried using only one module @ a time?

I had a problem getting my system going.. i removed everything cept one stick of ram, the cpu, psu and graphics card and thats it..

turned out it worked fine... hadn't been able to boot before due to sound card issues...

when you insert the winxp cd and boot frm it... its not giving you the option to install the os? ie boot from cd > install options ?

No, I haven't tried removing one of the memory modules. I guess I'll have to try it, but I'd rather not as I'll have to loosen most of the cables and maybe even take off the cpu cooler to get to the memory modules, but I'm running out of options, so I guess I'll do it later today.

Booting from the win xp cd works fine, I can even partition the HD and start installing files. After installing files, the computer boots, that's when I get the message, Can't start the OS...

Sazar
06-20-04, 04:41 AM
ah... ok...

well its like almost 4:00 am here... gonna turn in...

I thought you weren't able to load anything... apparently you are getting past all the startup stuff so mem is unlikely to be an issue @ the stage you are getting to...

make sure in the boot sequency you have verified that the boot device order is established to include your hdd as a boot device...

Hari Seldon
06-20-04, 07:09 AM
make sure in the boot sequency you have verified that the boot device order is established to include your hdd as a boot device...
As I wrote, I have floppy as first boot option, CD-rom as second boot option and Hard Drive as third boot option.
I tried changing to HD as first boot option but still got the same message.
Here are my rails:

http://w1.970.telia.com/~u97000081/RailsMini.jpg
(Here's a bigger picture (http://w1.970.telia.com/~u97000081/RailsBig.jpg))

Riptide
06-20-04, 10:53 AM
Crap. This is the motherboard I have on the way. :(

Anyway Hari, here's what might not be a bad idea. Sorry if some of this was already recommended. First, do you know that your memory is good, as in did it work in your previous system just fine? If not, put just one stick in the new system at a time if you have more than one and run memtest86 on it. If it produces errors and your system is at stock settings, bad sign. Probably either a bad board or it is a design issue and isn't compatible with your memory.

I had an ASUS p4s8x motherboard that got great reviews everywhere when I read up on it. When I tried to set it up and had the memory at SPD settings I could sometimes get files to copy to the drive from the blue screen part of xp setup, but when it rebooted it would randomly blue screen part of the way through the rest. Turned out that motherboard had a design problem and couldn't run pc2700 memory even at relaxed timings. Disgusting..

Sazar
06-20-04, 09:26 PM
rip I thought you had a sckt 939 on the way?

:confused:

anyways... given the psu I don't think hari you really should have a problem with power concerning your system...

you are sure your hdd's are fine? and your mem?

Riptide
06-21-04, 01:25 AM
My bad.. I have a av8 on the way, not a kv8. :wonder:

Hari Seldon
06-21-04, 09:48 AM
rip I thought you had a sckt 939 on the way?

:confused:

anyways... given the psu I don't think hari you really should have a problem with power concerning your system...

you are sure your hdd's are fine? and your mem?

I used my HD before the upgrade, although I have 2 other HD's connected to a Raid card to check with. I took them out to rule out problems with them...

It could be the memory though, but since partitioning and starting installation (in xp) works, it might be something other.

And since booting from floppy drive doesn't work at all, could it be something wrong with the mobo, or?

Edit:
I tried connecting the floppy drive with the included floppy cable, and it worked. I'll download memtest and run it. (Btw, I tried using one of my other HD's and it didn't work any better)

Sazar
06-21-04, 01:33 PM
congrats for it working..

first time I have heard of something working coz of the floppy but I spose if you are installing stuff from the floppy drive it helps :cool:

/me hasn't used his floppy drive in about 3 years...

:thumbsup:

keep us posted with performance numbers and benches :D

Hari Seldon
06-21-04, 01:45 PM
Eh, I did not clarify it.
The floppy worked, not the computer, even though I also used the included IDE cable, but I'll test more with it once the memtest has finished.
It went well to the 12th pass (4 hours), then for some reason the computer rebooted. I'll do the test again after I come home from work.
The LED cables have come loose from the chassie front, and it's sensitive. Sometime it reboots itself when I move the LED cables.