PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Flicker! Help

HaVoK-G2
06-20-04, 10:48 AM
Hey I just bought a new NEC/Mitsubishi 2070sb 22". When I had my old monitor it would flicker a little bit on the top and bottom edges.. and sometimes I can notice the whole screen flickering a little bit. (My old monitor was a crap 17" Dell) Also when the toaster goes on in the kitchen two rooms away it flickers even worse.

Now I got this new monitor, and it does the same thing (I thought that my other monitor was getting old) Ive tried moire (sp?) and I bought an apc power supply/battery backup thinking maybe there was a little power inconsistancy or something but didnt do anything. Tried all different refreshrates to no avail. I seem to only notice it in Windows (Running windows xp Pro Sp1) And not in Games..? Could it be my eyes are sensitive.. or its a windows problem?

GlowStick
06-20-04, 12:24 PM
Well flickering comes from a refresh rate probem. Can i ask you your resolution and refresh rate you are usieng?

Also, is your monitor near other monitors or TV's because if it is close (around a foot is what i call close) they interfear and it causes the same effect.

HaVoK-G2
06-20-04, 04:14 PM
Hey, Ive tried running at: 1280x1024 60hz, 72hz, 75hz, 85hz, 100hz, 120hz and 1600x1200 60hz, 72hz, 75hz, 85hz, 100hz.

I notice it most when im at 70-100hz at 1600x1200.. (Of course when I go up in hz the more Blurry text gets, but theres ways to adjust that.. But ive found that best for web/text is 75hz)

And im in a room with 2 (two 17" monitors) other computers, and 1 27" Flat screen tv. Each computer monitor is about 2-2 1/2 feet apart, each tower is about a foot away from the monitor. (Theres a printer a foot away from my monitor).. And a router, 4 port hub, and cable modem a foot behind the monitor and to the right.

I tried the monitor upstairs, but stupidly in a room above the kitchen.. I have a feeling thats what is causing some problems maybe? Ug or am I worrying about it too much... it just bothers me alot sometimes when im browsing the web. I heard theres a refreshrate problem with windows xp? Or is that fixed in newer card drivers.

Heres a "plan" of the kitchen and comp room (theres a living room further down south and a laundry) I did it real fast in 2 mins so dont mind it ;P
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0703/HaVoK-G2/evilhouse.jpg

And Heres a picture of my comp atm (Sucky first generation digital camera)
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0703/HaVoK-G2/MVC-006F.jpg

Ive tried moving the speakers totally away (Speakers said they were shielded), the subwoofer is under the desk under the tower, also I have an APC Battery backup under to the left of the tower (I got that a day after the monitor to see if it would do anything) Speakers are Logitech Z-680 550w.. Btw Ive since moved the cable modem to the left of the printer and turned the printer lengthwise.

Thanks.

Could it be that the videocard is old?

harl
06-20-04, 04:36 PM
CRT's may flicker if they hava other CRT's near or
a Celular Phone. or a motor
(I had interferences with a whasingmachine in the
near room across a brick wall)

Of course unshield speakers can interfer too
(my creative 5400 dont have that problem)
But the subwoffer rarely (or never) is shieled so
be careful

FastM
06-20-04, 04:56 PM
What kind of video card do you have, have you tried another?

Head_slinger
06-20-04, 06:38 PM
Along that back wall where you have all your computers, monitors, TV's etc. I bet there is a hell of a draw on the power outlet. Try disconnecting everything but the 22" and computer and see if its any better.

EDWARD TIVRUSKY
06-20-04, 06:47 PM
My brother's TNT Vanta is dying and has simillar problems. Try a new card, oh, and what they said. :)

HaVoK-G2
06-20-04, 09:05 PM
Ive got a ti4600 that ive had since they first came out, Ive had to replace the fan twice with the Thermaltake GPU cooler. So thats why I think maybe its to due with this videocard.. Im going to try the monitor on my little brothers PC that I built, Put a 9800 Pro in there. (Computer beside me is my old AMD 1.67ghz with a gig of ram, gef2)

And yes, got about 5 outlets in this small room. Thanks alot for the help guys (I move the monitor upstairs with JUST the tower, keyboard, mouse. No speakers so I dont think thats it)

Ill keep you updated :p

HaVoK-G2
07-09-04, 12:13 AM
Update, I have my new BFG 6800 Ultra now, im getting hardly any noticeable monitor flicker except when the toaster is on.

*Huggles 6800*

But ive got another problem thats bothering me, text is kind of blurry at 1600x1200, and if I go higher hz then 85hz the text gets blurrier and blurrier!? (Im pretty sure it would have done this with my ti4600 too) I see two holes on the back left side of the monitor that ive been hearing people talk about adjusting the monitor, but what do I stick in there. :P

nvjarett
07-09-04, 01:14 AM
well i don't know if this pertains to u but I had a problem where the edge of my screen the color seemed like it was fading. I was reading my manual and it recommended that u face your monitor east. So i faced my monitor east and no more problem. who would of thought the earth's magnetic field was the problem !

HaVoK-G2
07-09-04, 01:20 PM
Na, I got it pretty much fixed now. If I run at 85hz for when im web browsing etc.. it clear text, except if its light colored text on a dark background, then its really bad no matter what. (Like white text on black or dark blue)

I tried to play Eve-Online but the text is way too small and hurts my brain (theyve only got options for 10-12 pixel text... and at 1600x1200 the menu etc.. needs a magnafying glass lol)

remymarten
07-09-04, 04:31 PM
Is it possable to plug your monitor into an outlet that is not on the same circut breaker as the toaster oven?

DivotMaker
07-09-04, 04:43 PM
Try a line conditioner between your monitor and the electrical outlet and see if that improves matters. I had the same thing happen to me with my new Viewsonic G220FB where it looked like electrical interference only while browsing but especially noticeable with grey backgrounds. Returned the G220 FB and got another one to try at this computer shop I use locally and the same thing. Ironically my Viewsonic G-810-5 does NOT do any of this so I am back to it until I can get my 20" Viewsonic flat panel at 16 ms next month.

HaVoK-G2
07-09-04, 05:24 PM
Well I went out and bought an APC Back-UPS XS 1000, that said it had all kinds of things to keep my power clean, but it still does it, and I wouldent know where a circuit would be thats different.. although as I said I took it to an upstairs room but of course it was above the kitchen.. so maybe it still was on the same circuit :(

Blarhg :P

DivotMaker
07-09-04, 07:38 PM
Well I went out and bought an APC Back-UPS XS 1000, that said it had all kinds of things to keep my power clean, but it still does it, and I wouldent know where a circuit would be thats different.. although as I said I took it to an upstairs room but of course it was above the kitchen.. so maybe it still was on the same circuit :(

Blarhg :P

Sorry to hear...I had my G220FB plugged into a APC Back-UPS XS 1500 and there was no change...sorry. Ironically my 3 year old G 810-5 works perfectly....

HaVoK-G2
07-10-04, 01:41 AM
Ah well, thanks for the help.. its time to suck it up and deal with it since its such a great monitor in other aspects.. (Although I think its just this area/house because my old monitor did it to :lame: )

nvjarett
07-15-04, 03:46 AM
i just bought an nec 991 sb diamondtron; they are great monitors