PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek A400 (6800 Non Ultra) Thread

Pages : [1] 2

undercover
06-21-04, 06:55 AM
I thought I bring a few threads together in a single place.

The background is that my Leadtek A400 THD (6800 non-ultra) is very unstable.

Simply things like running the dxdiag direct3d tests with vsynch disabled crashed the system with corrupt textures.

Some of the Nvidia SDK demos (HLSL_bloodshader) lock up.

3dMark01 suffers corrupt textures when enabling highres+AA.

Splinter Cell sufferes flashes of corrupt textures at higher resolutions.

Sometimes the desktop flashed and the mouse freezes for a few seconds.

Any hint of SM3 usage in a shader (using effectedit) crashes the PC.

I've tried 61.34 and 61.40 but it looks like this is a Leadtek 6800 problem only.

I emailed Leadtek and got the simply reply

'return your card to the dealer'

Anyone else have this card ? Is it working OK for you ?

Rob J
UK

LovesuckZ
06-21-04, 07:04 AM
I thought I bring a few threads together in a single Anyone else have this card ? Is it working OK for you ?
Rob J
UK

It seems that all Leadtek 6800NU have problems.
I have two and they have the same problems.

undercover
06-21-04, 07:12 AM
I wonder how leadtek managed to mess things up so badly!

:argh:

kahloq
06-21-04, 09:22 AM
Leadtek and Chaintek are two of the worst add in card makers out there. From my experience, they generally dont use the best parts and their quality is not so good. I have a Leadteck geforce 3 and its had some issues. I wont ever buy from either of those makers. Visiontek is another one i wouldnt buy from. All these makers with the same last portion of the name "tek" leads me to assume they are all made at the same place and sold under the slightly different brand names ie Chain Lead Vision. I could be wrong, but I dont think Ive seen much on the positive side for any of the 3.

SignorSalad
06-21-04, 09:33 AM
In my experience LeadTek in the past has been a great board maker.. I have owned a leadtek GF2, a leadtek GF3 ti500, a leadtek GF4 4600 and a leadtek 5900 non-ultra. Back in the day they were praised in reviews as having outstanding 2d quality, using top-quality filters. This of course was back when there was a difference in 2d quality (around GF2 to GF4 time-frame) from different board makers. From what I read now, there's not much difference in 2d quality, as all newer GF cards seem to do it equally well. My 5900 non ultra is fine in 2d and 3d, however I didn't really care for the heatsink design.

From my perspective, I've never had a problem with leadtek at all, and was extremely happy about the 2d quality back when there was a difference in board makers 2d quality. I've not really had any problems with any of the cards. I recently was having some crashing issues with the 5900nu, but tracked it down to something else besides the card. This time around however, I'm going to go with BFG mainly because of their lifetime warranty, and all the good things posted here about them.

OWA
06-21-04, 11:06 AM
Since some of the review boards going out have had an incorrect bios maybe it is something as simple as that. It might be worth asking Leadtek about.

undercover
06-21-04, 11:11 AM
Since some of the review boards going out have had an incorrect bios maybe it is something as simple as that. It might be worth asking Leadtek about.

The email I got back from leadtek just said

"please return the card to the dealer"

Can anyone point me to a new bios ?!

[edit]

found a bios. When I get home i'll check the version. IIRC the problem with the review bios was that only 8 pipes were enables.

OWA
06-21-04, 12:09 PM
It's not totally clear to me but I believe the card that Mike received for review was acting like a 12-pipe card but still didn't have the correct bios. He started having general stability issues with games locking and the system rebooted once on him. So, maybe the bios still could be the issue. I just got this info from reading his first-look thread on the 6800NU.

undercover
06-21-04, 05:25 PM
Updated the bios and it's stable enough now for 3Dmark01 at 1600x1200 4xaa

Still crashes BIG TIME in HLSL_bloodshader and dxdiag Direct3D test (vsync off)

uKveld
06-23-04, 05:42 AM
damn! i just ordered my Sparkle 6800 NU is that a problem with all NUs or just Leadtek/Chaintech?

undercover
06-23-04, 05:52 AM
damn! i just ordered my Sparkle 6800 NU is that a problem with all NUs or just Leadtek/Chaintech?

Looks like just the Leadtek/Chaintech.. so far...!

When will yours be arriving ?

uKveld
06-23-04, 06:00 AM
on next wednesday... i hope it works fine :)

undercover
06-23-04, 06:35 AM
on next wednesday... i hope it works fine :)

I'm sure it will, since it's not a leadtek!

Should be a good match on Thursday :) Rooney's face will scare your players off the pitch :)

uKveld
06-23-04, 10:08 AM
Rooney shure is ugly ;)

I think it´ll be a great match, may the best team win... ...and i hope the best team to be Portugal :D

jeffa123
06-23-04, 10:28 AM
I have the A400TDH but the only problem I encountered was when it insisted it was a PCI card in slot 6. Its slung in my old P4G8x with 1.5gb Ram and powered off the same lead I used to power my old 5900. I am running 60.80 drivers which came with it.
I have tested DX9 Diag with no errors. These so far are the most stable. Until a certified set come out I don't think I'll bother changing them again.

The 61.xx's all have DX9.0c directives, which is why they error. :)

undercover
06-23-04, 10:34 AM
I'm glad to find a happy A400THD user :)

I have the A400TDH but the only problem I encountered was when it insisted it was a PCI card in slot 6.

hmm. I have a tv capture card in slot6 (or is it 5).. I disabled it in Windows device manager but I'll whip it out altogether and see if that helps.

I have tested DX9 Diag with no errors.
Did you try dxdiag direct3d test with vsynch forced off in the Nvidia properties/settings ? With vsych on it worked OK for me, only off caused a lockup.

The 61.xx's all have DX9.0c directives, which is why they error. :)

I have 9c installed - perhaps it's just too beta ! I don't think there's an easy way to remove them.

Cheers,

Rob

undercover
06-24-04, 08:46 AM
Update #2. It appears to a problem with fillrate bound apps, e.g anything that draws big quads very quickly (without vsync!)

This fillrate tester could crash 4 out of 5 Leadtek A400 non ultras!

http://www2.arnes.si/~mdolen/FillrateTester.zip

I've had no negative reports about the Leadtek Ultra's or Non Ultra's from other companies.

Rob

Evildeus
06-24-04, 08:48 AM
Have you tried 61.1 or 60.85?

undercover
06-24-04, 08:58 AM
Have you tried 61.1 or 60.85?

Nope. 61.34 , 61.40 and 61.71 :)

I'll find out what the others were running but I'm sure the german chaps tried older drivers. I would be suprised if it a driver problem - more likely a bios/memory timing issue. e.g. the Microsoft direct3d dxdiag test is just a rotating cube and it works fine with vsyc on. Turning vsync off caused rapid system death.

Perhaps the drivers do optimize things so much when drawing big quads as fast as possible. Perhaps the optimise too much and the Leadtek DDR can't keep up :)

Evildeus
06-24-04, 09:03 AM
Well, many people have had issues with 61.34 and don't with 61.1 ;)

Ruined
06-24-04, 09:07 AM
Yeh, roll back to 61.11, 60.85, or 60.72. 61.34+ are giving many problems.

spuk0
06-25-04, 12:07 PM
What temps are you guys getting with this Leadtek card?

How would you guys rate the cooling effectiveness with Leadteks design?

Is the cooling all copper, copper plated aluminum, all aluminum with fake copper coating?

I'm thinking of going with Leadtek but will wait another month for the cards to become mainstream.

Thanks,

phantom1979
06-25-04, 04:33 PM
Im having the same trouble.... Games like the Suffering, Splinter cell + gunmetal crash at the titles whereas ground control 2 runs like a charm!

the fillrate tester froze and made crazy green patterns on my monitor...

Id love to see a workaround rather than a return to shop as its a great card when it works

ChrisRay
06-25-04, 04:39 PM
Leadtek and Chaintek are two of the worst add in card makers out there. From my experience, they generally dont use the best parts and their quality is not so good. I have a Leadteck geforce 3 and its had some issues. I wont ever buy from either of those makers. Visiontek is another one i wouldnt buy from. All these makers with the same last portion of the name "tek" leads me to assume they are all made at the same place and sold under the slightly different brand names ie Chain Lead Vision. I could be wrong, but I dont think Ive seen much on the positive side for any of the 3.

I completely disagree. My leadtek FX 5900 LX has been one of the best boards I have ever used. Quality.

AMC_Duke
06-25-04, 04:42 PM
I completely disagree. My leadtek FX 5900 LX has been one of the best boards I have ever used. Quality.

agree had a leadtek geoforce 5900 ultra running @ 510/ 850 running :ORDER: normaly awsome cards