PDA

View Full Version : Xfx?

vläd
06-21-04, 08:21 AM
Has anyone actually received an XFX 6800 Ultra yet? I remember that NewEgg listed them a week or so back.

I'm just curious as to what your factory settings are.

skoprowski
06-21-04, 08:31 AM
I got mine- look at my sig for the default clockspeeds. Great card so far with zero issues in my system. I'm glad I took back a X800Pro for this.

six_storm
06-21-04, 11:12 AM
You're glad you took back your X800? Wow, that XFX must be real impressive. A friend of mine got a X800 and it's pretty amazing. Farcry looks dreamy on it too.

xdaishanx
06-21-04, 11:30 AM
Returned my X800 pro also and am waiting for a 6800 now also

( posted in another thread but short version is the X800 ( and any ATI products for that matter ) get trounced by Nvidia cards in the games I play mostly being EQ , City of Heroes and Lineage 2 and soon EQ2 (beta)

I saw first hand my temporary 5900xt make City of Heroes and Lineage II look 100% better than a 9800pro or my X800pro

traak
06-21-04, 11:39 AM
Returned my X800 pro also and am waiting for a 6800 now also

( posted in another thread but short version is the X800 ( and any ATI products for that matter ) get trounced by Nvidia cards in the games I play mostly being EQ , City of Heroes and Lineage 2 and soon EQ2 (beta)

I saw first hand my temporary 5900xt make City of Heroes and Lineage II look 100% better than a 9800pro or my X800pro

Your getting into EQ2 Beta for sure? Have an extra one by chance? :clap: Heck, since EQ2 is partnered with Nvidia, wonder if any chance that NvNews can get a few :) hehe

xdaishanx
06-21-04, 11:43 AM
Yes beta for sure :) Have a legends account ( first wave of invites )and also another one tied into that horrible rts Lords of Everquest that got you a guaranteed early slot also :)

Cant wait to see what a 6800 Ultra will do with EQ2 - looks amazing

have a PIV 3.4 1.5GB Corsair XMS ram and 2 raptors in RAID 0 so hoping can push EQ2 reasonalbly well for a while with a 6800ultra ( they said nothing out currently can push it with everything turned on with draw distance all the way out etc )

Skinner
06-21-04, 01:23 PM
I have ordered one, it should arrive this week. Nice to hear it defaults on 425 :)

So its clearly faster the x800Pro?

SignorSalad
06-21-04, 01:58 PM
2 raptors in RAID 0

Sorry for going off topic...

xdaishanx.. did you load your OS directly onto the RAID array (SATA I'm guessing for the raptors) or do you have a dedicated single OS disk with RAID 0 only running as a 2nd and 3rd disk for data/games/etc?

I've had mixed results installing an OS directly onto a RAID array (with several different motherboards). Some successes, some painful failures, but I'd like to do a raptor array myself with the next system I build.

skoprowski
06-21-04, 02:10 PM
It is as fast as the X800Pro or faster. Visual quality looked to be the same as the X800. I really think that Nvidia has got a winner here. I will be honest with you though, and will say that if Nvidia didn't have SM 3.0, I would have probably stuck with the X800Pro. I can't afford to be upgrading every 6 months anymore and think the 6800 Ultra will hold me until next spring. Both ATI and Nvidia have good cards in the X800 and 6800 series. You can't go wrong with either right now. I chose to spend an extra $100.00 now to extend my life of the card longer. I am sure by this X-mas I would be drooling over a SM 3.0 based card if I would have kept the X800Pro. As long as ATI keeps the pricing the same between the X800 and 6800 series of cards, it doesn't make sense to me to buy ATI. Nvidia is to the point that visually they are as good or better than ATI and now offer more for the same money- why not get SM 3.0?

Scott

Skinner
06-21-04, 02:22 PM
It is as fast as the X800Pro or faster. Visual quality looked to be the same as the X800. I really think that Nvidia has got a winner here. I will be honest with you though, and will say that if Nvidia didn't have SM 3.0, I would have probably stuck with the X800Pro. I can't afford to be upgrading every 6 months anymore and think the 6800 Ultra will hold me until next spring. Both ATI and Nvidia have good cards in the X800 and 6800 series. You can't go wrong with either right now. I chose to spend an extra $100.00 now to extend my life of the card longer. I am sure by this X-mas I would be drooling over a SM 3.0 based card if I would have kept the X800Pro. As long as ATI keeps the pricing the same between the X800 and 6800 series of cards, it doesn't make sense to me to buy ATI. Nvidia is to the point that visually they are as good or better than ATI and now offer more for the same money- why not get SM 3.0?

Scott

I know it should be faster then the X800Pro but it's always good to hear it from a user experience :)

xdaishanx
06-21-04, 04:18 PM
Sorry for going off topic...

xdaishanx.. did you load your OS directly onto the RAID array (SATA I'm guessing for the raptors) or do you have a dedicated single OS disk with RAID 0 only running as a 2nd and 3rd disk for data/games/etc?

I've had mixed results installing an OS directly onto a RAID array (with several different motherboards). Some successes, some painful failures, but I'd like to do a raptor array myself with the next system I build.

No problem - have loaded directly on the RAID 0 each time - one large RAID partition as far as the raid controller goes then two partitions for WXP

Its an IC7-Max 2 btw - and had an IC7 before that no problems either

klee
06-22-04, 01:27 PM
I got mine so far all is good.

klee

:lol2: