View Full Version : 6800U Volt mod

jAkUp
06-21-04, 11:13 AM
http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18547

Never in my life would I try it.. but sounds interesting :D

mrgoodcheese
06-21-04, 11:55 AM
That's just crazy. :screwy:

Of course, if I had the money to blow, I'd try it.

Vagrant Zero
06-21-04, 02:45 PM
No. Never. Not. Now. Ever.

That about sums it up nicely.

CrashMaster
06-21-04, 11:02 PM
.... I just wonder .... W H Y ??????

bkswaney
06-22-04, 12:07 AM
http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18547

Never in my life would I try it.. but sounds interesting :D

Go ahead and give it a try and let us know
how it works. ;) "lol"

I do not blame you for not trying it.
When u pay over 500 bucks for a card
you do not want it as toast a few weeks
after you got it. :)

Son Goku
06-22-04, 01:13 AM
LOL, I wonder just how many takers there are, for this? :lol: I wouldn't try it on a brand spanking new $500 gfx card.

zakelwe
06-22-04, 02:22 AM
The 100K resistor mod looks easy but the pencil trick looks too unpredictable.

Both are pointless without good cooling me thinks, ie watercooled and colder.

Regards

Andy

Nv40
06-22-04, 04:18 AM
higher voltages is the missing gap ,for higher clocks in NV 4xx cards.
GT's/ultras and Extremes are all the same cards.. with capped voltages and diferent clocks speeds from the FAB.

i see no reasons (except for power needs) for Ultras to not being clocked at 475-500 mhz :)

Noxis
06-22-04, 04:25 AM
This was actually posted up after I requested it at vr-zone and xtremesystems.org heh.

About .2v of an increase wont do much in the way of damage and I got my water cooling to deal with the extra heat. If its all done properly with a multimeter there is little chance of anything going wrong. I use to volt mod my old KR7A motherboard and pumped 2.2v up my AMD XP2000 when it was spanking new :D Got it up to 1.9ghz as well.

schuey74
06-22-04, 09:21 AM
higher voltages is the missing gap ,for higher clocks in NV 4xx cards.
GT's/ultras and Extremes are all the same cards.. with capped voltages and diferent clocks speeds from the FAB.

i see no reasons (except for power needs) for Ultras to not being clocked at 475-500 mhz :)
Two reasons: cooling @ warranty. If volt modding adds 6c - 7c under load to my watercooled X800, imagine how hot it would get on stock cooling. I'm sure most cards would work flawlessly for a while, but after you pass about a year, I'm sure a lot of the cards would start burning out. Most video card companies offer at least two years warranty, and several, like Visiontek offer a lifetime warranty.

saturnotaku
06-22-04, 09:24 AM
Most video card companies offer at least two years warranty, and several, like Visiontek offer a lifetime warranty.

I think you mean BFG, at least in the case of the 6800. Visiontek ain't made no NVIDIA cards for near aught-2 years dagnabit.

schuey74
06-22-04, 09:32 AM
I think you mean BFG, at least in the case of the 6800. Visiontek ain't made no NVIDIA cards for near aught-2 years dagnabit.
I guess I should have been clearer, but I was referring to why neither ATI or Nvidia bumps up their voltages more......and Visiontek was the first one with a lifetime warranty that came to mind. The botton line is that each company pushed the voltage as far up as they could while still keeping defectives due to burnt chips at a reasonable level. If they (ATI & Nvidia) could push it more, we all know they would. :)