PDA

View Full Version : I don't care about the 925X, I want these!

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
06-21-04, 04:33 PM
Was poking through a review of the Intel 925X chipset at bit-tech (http://www.bit-tech.net/review/326/). I got a little ways down the first page when I read this, about what Intel sent the reviewer:

The hard drives in particular deserve a special mention. At first glance you may mistake them for the current Maxline II SATA drives but you'd be wrong. In fact the Maxline III is the first ever consumer hard disk to have a 16Mb buffer. When combined in RAID that's a staggering 32Mb disk cache! In addition to this the drives support the latest SATA 2 features such as Tagged Command Queuing and Native Command Queuing.

Three words: gimme, gimme, gimme! :drooling:

Pandora's Box
06-21-04, 05:58 PM
bout damned time they moved up to a larger cache over 8MB

|JuiceZ|
06-21-04, 06:08 PM
32mb cache?! :wtf:

{Sniping}Waste
06-21-04, 06:16 PM
It might be 4 drives with 8 meg catch or 2 16 meg catch. Seagate will put out a new line of drives in about 3 months with 16 meg catch.

Dazz
06-21-04, 06:26 PM
I told you about these drives alittle while ago, native SATA drives :)

GlowStick
06-21-04, 06:29 PM
Mmm, sound good but id never use a maxtor : \

However, once hitachi comes out with some 16mb cache hdd's :)

Bad_Boy
06-21-04, 06:39 PM
holy fook. ill probally have to get 2 of these babies for raid0 :D
i bet they will be pricey tho ;x

UDawg
06-21-04, 07:16 PM
/weeps... It's a thing of beauty. This is the slowest area IMO wrt puter performances. The HDD seems to always lag behind the rest of the puter.

Bad_Boy
06-22-04, 06:14 AM
http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24405
good read :)

lightman
06-22-04, 06:24 AM

???

I only use Maxtor drives (and Quantum ones before), we have more than 60 drives here, and the only one that died was a defective (and cheap) 40Gb one, one week from the delivery. They sent me a new one and it's worked flawlessly thereafter.

Oh, and our boxes are running 24/7, almost always under load. Scientific computations takes a lot of time and power... ;)

madmartyau
06-22-04, 09:33 AM
/weeps... It's a thing of beauty. This is the slowest area IMO wrt puter performances. The HDD seems to always lag behind the rest of the puter.

Have to agree with you there UDawg, every other component gets faster and faster but the old HDD is way behind. With HDD company's bringing out 400GB drives this year, they need to speed these things up.

It's a nightmare trying to backup 100GB(It takes forever!) let alone 400GB.

DivotMaker
06-22-04, 09:43 AM

Hitachi? The same people who purchased IBM's HD division? I will never buy a drive from Hitachi after the IMB/Deskstar fiasco...

GlowStick
06-22-04, 12:01 PM
???

I only use Maxtor drives (and Quantum ones before), we have more than 60 drives here, and the only one that died was a defective (and cheap) 40Gb one, one week from the delivery. They sent me a new one and it's worked flawlessly thereafter.

Oh, and our boxes are running 24/7, almost always under load. Scientific computations takes a lot of time and power... ;)
On my two webservers we would go though a maxtor every 3 weeks, untill i demanded they put in a hitachi.

Ive been useing IBM/Hitachi's since 97 and they are still powering away.

Arioch
06-22-04, 01:18 PM
I like my Seagate 160GB SATA drive right now - I can't imagine how bad ass these will be next year when I get a new PC again.

Riptide
06-22-04, 01:19 PM
I can remember a friend of mine, who is an electrical engineer and has worked for tandem/sun/national, telling me 10 years ago hard drives were going to be a thing of the past. You see, they were working on this new wunderdevice called "Flash Memory" that was supposed to replace all of that.

It still hasn't materialized yet. But judging by the amount of memory they're fitting on compact flash cards right now maybe in ten more years we'll see disc drives go bye-bye permanently.

GlowStick
06-22-04, 02:23 PM
I can remember a friend of mine, who is an electrical engineer and has worked for tandem/sun/national, telling me 10 years ago hard drives were going to be a thing of the past. You see, they were working on this new wunderdevice called "Flash Memory" that was supposed to replace all of that.

It still hasn't materialized yet. But judging by the amount of memory they're fitting on compact flash cards right now maybe in ten more years we'll see disc drives go bye-bye permanently.
For like 30-100k you can buy solid state flash hard drives. SCSI interface heh ; )

I acutally dont know if they are fast or not.

UDawg
06-22-04, 02:25 PM
Have to agree with you there UDawg, every other component gets faster and faster but the old HDD is way behind. With HDD company's bringing out 400GB drives this year, they need to speed these things up.

It's a nightmare trying to backup 100GB(It takes forever!) let alone 400GB.

Ya we need speed not more space. There are tons of ways to store information but retrieving it in a timely manor is the painfull part.

EDWARD TIVRUSKY
06-22-04, 04:02 PM
For like 30-100k you can buy solid state flash hard drives. SCSI interface heh ; )

I acutally dont know if they are fast or not.

If solid state hard drives were price competitive, would they be better? If i remember correctly Windoze could not boot off of a solid state hard drive. If that is true, then wouldn't that have to be fixed? :confused:

takuma
06-22-04, 04:15 PM

I agree Maxtors suck. My 200gig Has prob every sec i already rma it once and now it is having curopted files and other probs. While All my westren digtal hds i ever used have been great.

GlowStick
06-22-04, 04:15 PM
If solid state hard drives were price competitive, would they be better? If i remember correctly Windoze could not boot off of a solid state hard drive. If that is true, then wouldn't that have to be fixed? :confused:
Though i havent seen one, id assume it would act just like a scsi hard drive, so i dont see why you coudlnt boot windows off it. Werid.

Im not really sure exactly what application demands to have solid state drives, but aparently they make them.

And yeah, id rather buy a porshe or soemthing than pay for that :D

Riptide
06-22-04, 06:07 PM
Bottom line, if you can read and write to it then it doesn't make a lot of sense that you couldn't boot windows from such a device.

lightman
06-23-04, 04:32 AM
I agree Maxtors suck. My 200gig Has prob every sec i already rma it once and now it is having curopted files and other probs.

So because you've been unlucky with ONE drive, all Maxtors suck. Yeah. Right. Bah...

Maybe you should read my previous post...

Anyway...

GlowStick
06-23-04, 10:12 AM
So because you've been unlucky with ONE drive, all Maxtors suck. Yeah. Right. Bah...

Anyway...
I rent a dedicated server and we went though maxtors like hot cakes.

Bad_Boy
06-23-04, 11:42 AM
i havent had any problems with western digital so i tend to stick with them. but i find many people have problems with WD so i dunno if its just me.

takuma
06-23-04, 12:28 PM

Anyway...

Well the replacement is having prob too wich is pretty crappy you know. So it decide for me I am not getting maxtor anymore when the price between different companys is really not that different.