PDA

View Full Version : X800XT PE or 6800 U...convince me

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PaiN
06-22-04, 05:36 AM
Seriously, if you've seen my posts, you'll know I have an X800XT PE on the pre-order. I'm not a "fanboy" of anything...I want just want fast, stable hardware that works. I've been using Radeons since the 9700Pro came out, they've all been fantastic cards and great OCers. The XT PE looks to carry on in that tradition, imo. But I've started eyeballing 6800 Ultra's and its very tempting, in fact, I'm back and forth like a crazy man trying to decide which one will be in my system.
I'm looking for opinions and advice and whatever card I get, the stock cooling will be scrapped for a the wa-wa and RAMsinks....Thanks :)

Noxis
06-22-04, 05:59 AM
Well currently it looks like you will be able to get a 6800 Ultra before a X800 XT PE :)

Snooka
06-22-04, 06:10 AM
I'm just waiting for the local Best Buy or Comp USA to have either one in stock.

But yeah, it looks like they'll have the 6800U in stock sooner.

skaface
06-22-04, 06:11 AM
im a noob here but from what i have read on different forums... both cards are great. what ever makes you happy i guess :)
good luck

Arioch
06-22-04, 06:21 AM
I was able to secure a X800XT PE before a 6800 Ultra but that appears to be the exception and not the rule. I was basically grabbing whichever one came available to me first. Both cards are awesome really.

xdaishanx
06-22-04, 08:34 AM
Both would probably be equal other than one category which am sure you know if are a 9700 up user

Open GL based cames are the bane of ATI cards

So if you dont play those much its a toss up - if you do then 6800 definitely

Pandora's Box
06-22-04, 08:55 AM
might want to give this a read before going with ati:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33765609

ati tech support isnt the best in the business.

Sgt_Pitt
06-22-04, 08:56 AM
Yeah do your homework, theres heaps of reviews everywhere, just read

MUYA
06-22-04, 08:57 AM
There are many reviews online of GeForce 6800 Ultras and x800 XT PE. Very few here that will comment have first hand experience with both cards. So maybe it's in your interest to search out the reviews and make a judgement then. ;)

Carbon Unit
06-22-04, 09:07 AM
I would say the 6800U because its as fast as the x800 xtpe with just the beta drivers, the x800 xtpe is using final drivers

PaiN
06-22-04, 09:43 AM
I've been building performance PCs for many years, I know enough to read reviews......but as I'm sure you know, sometimes it gets to be info overload, especially with two components so damn close.
What I'm looking for is users opinions and ideas, I'd really like hear from somene with exp using both cards.
And maybe I can find something to weigh one way or the other.

schuey74
06-22-04, 10:06 AM
I would say the 6800U because its as fast as the x800 xtpe with just the beta drivers, the x800 xtpe is using final drivers
:screwy:

DivotMaker
06-22-04, 10:21 AM
the x800 xtpe is using final drivers

Hardly the case....

Morrow
06-22-04, 10:32 AM
Hardly the case....

so all X800 XT PE gamers are using beta drivers?

Nv40
06-22-04, 10:38 AM
here...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30297

FArcry sm3.0 mod looks fantastic.. and this is only the beginning.. more of this will happen with other games this year shadelmodel3 all the way bro..:)

btw.. nice system specs... :D

schuey74
06-22-04, 10:41 AM
Damn, there as some confused people out there! You can use whatever drivers you can get a hold of. Both ATI & Nvidia release "final" drivers every month and several "betas" get leaked during that time as well.

saturnotaku
06-22-04, 10:43 AM
Both ATI & Nvidia release "final" drivers every month and several "betas" get leaked during that time as well.

ATI, yes. NVIDIA, no. Last "final" drivers from NV were released in April. :lame:

schuey74
06-22-04, 10:47 AM
ATI, yes. NVIDIA, no. Last "final" drivers from NV were released in April. :lame:
Yea, I just checked the Nvidia site and saw that the 56.72s were the latest. What the heck is going on over there? They spoiled me (and probably a lot people) during their "golden era" of drivers, GF2 - GF4.

dan2097
06-22-04, 10:48 AM
X800XT PE as it has more raw power.

520x16 vs 400x16 (fill rate)*
520x6 vs 400x6 (vertex throughput)
560DDR vs 550DDR (memory bandwidth)

*in pixel shading the 6800 has 2 alus vs 1 alu and a mini alue on the X800XT PE although in some cases an alu on the 6800 has to double as a texture addressor, so overall in pixel shading the difference will be far less than be seen from the clock speed and pipelines.

EDIT:But if one card is available significantly before the other you could just get that, they aren't that different :)

Gator
06-22-04, 10:53 AM
...I'm not a "fanboy" of anything...I want just want fast, stable hardware that works. I've been using Radeons since the 9700Pro came out, they've all been fantastic cards and great OCers...

My take on this is that they are both excellent cards, and I don't expect you to be disappointed with either one. Since you mention having Radeon's in the past and are satisfied with them, I'd sooner recommend the X800 series for you. If you said you had trouble ATI cards in the past and were much happier with the GF4 and GF-FX, I'd recommend the 6800 series instead.

So go with what you know, it's not being a fan boy, it's simply choosing what works best for you. X800 and 6800 are both excellent.

Atomizer
06-22-04, 11:15 AM
The x800 might have a higher clock, but doesnt mean its performance is better, Ive been watching reviews from the start and it seems the 6800 keeps getting faster, which makes sense since the drivers are still beta and its a brand new card, Im sure they will squeeze alot more juice out of it yet aswell, the x800 on the other hand is a more mature chipset, and most of the performance gains are pretty much already used, so it doesnt have much room to grow.

IQ it seems is alot better on the 6800 then they used to have on the FX series, if you intend to use 8xAF a 6800 would provide sharper textures then the x800, although with AF off the x800 is slightly better(not much difference though).
Dont just take my word for it though, since I am just working with the info I have read :)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30397

Dunno about AA IQ but I know that 6800 has improved AA over the FX series and in some tests the x800 suffer from a greater performance hit then the 6800(the same is true in reverse in some tests too), though the x800 has something call temporal AA, which is supposed to improve IQ at lower AA settings, like 2x temporal AA being almost or as good as 4xAA, but of course much faster, I havent read up much on that however, if you use AA you may want to look into that.

Im gonna have to be honest I have never used an ATI card, so I dont know the exact situation with the drivers, but I love the new nVidia application settings feature in their drivers that lets you set the AA/AF and other settings per game, no need to keep changing settings around once you have them the way you like :)

Previously I was saying that if you intend to keep your card for awhile(over a year) then the 6800 will last longer due to its PS3.0 support, but if you intended to upgrade again with the next generation of cards, then the x800 will prolly be the best purchase, but now that the nVidia drivers for the 6800 are getting more mature, its starting to look like the 6800 will surpass the x800 in the near future even without PS3.0, thats just a guess though.
In any case, both cards are a solid purchase, just get the one that better suits your needs, I dont intend to upgrade again for awhile however so im going for the 6800U :)

DivotMaker
06-22-04, 11:18 AM
so all X800 XT PE gamers are using beta drivers?

I guess I mis-read the inference of "final drivers". IMHO, there is no such thing as "final", however, had the comment been WHQL, then my reply would have been different. My apologies for any confusion...

Assi9
06-22-04, 11:30 AM
...the x800 on the other hand is a more mature chipset, and most of the performance gains are pretty much already used, so it doesnt have much room to grow.

Although the R420 is derived from the R300, it still by no means hit it's ceiling of performance. Besides I think it has to do with more of the maturity of the drivers rather than the chipset, which determines performance. Weren't there reports of the X800s running below efficiency? Something in the neighbourhood of 80%?

schuey74
06-22-04, 11:43 AM
Atomizer, you've spoken like a true Nvidiot. Why not venture outside of the "Nvidia Graphics Forum" here and get informed? Sorry, but it would take too long to correct all your errors and misconceptions today.

Arioch
06-22-04, 12:00 PM
here...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30297

FArcry sm3.0 mod looks fantastic.. and this is only the beginning.. more of this will happen with other games this year shadelmodel3 all the way bro..:)

btw.. nice system specs... :D

Those effects can be done on an ATI card also. Patch 1.2 is supposed to add virtual displacement mapping, and 1.3 HDR supposedly. The 6800's SM3.0 is supposed to be used for performance optimizations. Check out item #8 in the link here:

Crytek Comments on Shader 3.0 (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=36&type=expert&pid=2)

We will have to see how much performance it will add when it's all said and done.