PDA

View Full Version : AMD de-emphasize's desktop Hammer; later release likely

sbp
10-20-02, 01:57 AM
http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20021017S0029
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-962326.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,637644,00.asp

"Rob Herb, executive vice president of sales and marketing, said the Opteron server version of Hammer to be introduced in mid-2003 will precede the Athlon desktop Hammer chip.

Originally the Athlon desktop Hammer was slated to be introduced in Q4 '02 and then slipped to the first quarter of 2003, and now won't come to market until late next year."

For most of the next year the Barton will carry the fight against Intel.

Definitely disappointing and this will make more look towards Intel when upgrading next. But its a good business decision to concentrate on Opteron and servers market first.

The Baron
10-20-02, 02:06 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*breathes heavily*

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!

Barton it is then. Unless those hyperthreading P4s kick that much ass...

StealthHawk
10-20-02, 05:31 AM
nothing short of distrubing

Herb said the upcoming Barton version of the K7 Athlon, to debut early in 2003, will provide high performance desktop and workstation capability to carry the Athlon line through the year, so the desktop Barton can wait.

was this a typo? should it really say Hammer? or will there really be a desktop version of Barton that will be *more* delayed than it already has been :(

sbp
10-20-02, 11:13 PM
StealthHawk: Yes, that should say Hammer there.

This is thinly veiled bad news despite AMD's claims otherwise that the production timetable hasn't shifted. Right, unless AMD plans to do a paper launch {they are getting quite fond of that} of desktop clawhammer in 2nd quarter next year. btw current roadmaps seen out there now are old. Where is the FSB of 333MHz for AthlonXP?

Anyone really believe they are going to deliver Barton, Athlon XP 2800+, server Hammer {aka Opteron} and desktop Hammer all in first 6 months knowing AMD's history? Do they have the resources to do all this?

Lets review: AMD paper launched the Athlon XP 2400+ and 2600+ 2 months ago and those cpu's are slowly coming onto the market. AMD paper launched Athlon XP 2700+ and 2800+ 3 weeks ago and you won't find them in any significant number this year. AMD has admitted they have had some trouble manufacturing Athlon XPs at 2400+ and above in volume.

Another concern: how far will the Hammer be able to go on a 0.13-micron process being 20% bigger than Thoroughbred B core? Could be another .18 micron P4-it needed a fab shrink plus to really get going.

Ok so what about Barton and its competition. Intel is releasing the Pentium 4 3.06GHz later this year and 3.20GHz 2nd quarter 2003.

So desktop Hammer ain't going to anywhere available until 3rd quarter on. That means it'll go head to head versus the Pentium 4 Prescott CPU {0.09 micron technology, 667MHz FSB} (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1034139658). One positive thing for AMD is Intel won't be able to pump out 0.09 P4's in large number overnight.

Here are some hard questions about AMD's move: Companies know Intel is a much more financially stable company than AMD. Will companies play it safe? AMD has little reputation in the server market-what part will that play {if any}?

Time of the essense here for AMD. They have a good opportunity with the x86-64 versus Intels server offering. But they keep delaying things and losing money well...

DaveW
10-22-02, 09:44 AM
Give it up guys, AMD are out of it. Go buy Intel while AMD still have enough weight to keep their prices low. A year from now AMD will be dead and Intel will have no competition and jack up their prices again.

SavagePaladin
10-22-02, 12:23 PM
Since AMDs stock is going up lately, and they claim they'll break even next year (I believe)
I wouldn't say they're dead yet.
Probably having a lot of problems right now, on that same note.

StealthHawk
10-22-02, 05:00 PM
i still don't have too much faith in Intel. if they had gone for dual channel DDR instead of dual channel RDRAM, imagine the performance possibilities.

quite frankly, i don't know what the hell they were smoking when then chose RDRAM as their memory of choice.

TheOneKEA
10-22-02, 05:36 PM
DANGIT!!!!!!

<rant>
If Intel dies then we will get charged $800 for P4s even after 64bit goes mainstream!!!
</rant>

Seriously though, I don't think AMD is having any trouble other than a bad SOI attempt for Barton and Hammer. Besides, the Thoroughbred B core should scale high enough to let them release new chips for quite a while.

SavagePaladin
10-22-02, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by TheOneKEA

Seriously though, I don't think AMD is having any trouble other than a bad SOI attempt for Barton and Hammer. Besides, the Thoroughbred B core should scale high enough to let them release new chips for quite a while.

Thats probably the sanest thing I've heard yet.
Excellent!

StealthHawk
10-22-02, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by TheOneKEA

Barton isn't going to use an SOI process anymore ;)

SavagePaladin
10-23-02, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Barton isn't going to use an SOI process anymore ;)
That's what he's talking about...they had to scrap those plans, which involved hardware already in the design process