PDA

View Full Version : Major GeForce 6800 Ultra probs...

Pages : [1] 2 3

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 08:31 PM
I just installed my GeForce 6800 Ultra and the thing is acting very strange. Everything takes a long time to load, windows takes a long time to load, games all take a ver ylong time to load. But then the even bigger problem is that every time I go to play a game, the game crashes within seconds. I've used both the 61.34 drivers and 61.50 drivers.

I'm thinking I might not have enough power... The primary jack has its own independent bundle of cords while the secondary one has one that is shared with my hard drive.

Anyone know what the possible problem could be here? I uninstalled ATi and nVidia drivers through the control panel and used driver cleaner to get rid of the rest.

BTW, I am using an Antec TruPower 430 Watt power supply.

Clay
06-23-04, 08:41 PM
Where did you get 61.50 drivers? What brand of 6800 Ultra do you have? Have you called their tech support? Might call for an RMA.

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 08:45 PM
An RMA? Jesus Christ I haven't even had the thing installed for 10 minutes yet

Clay
06-23-04, 08:51 PM
An RMA? Jesus Christ I haven't even had the thing installed for 10 minutes yetNo need to JC all over the place. :) What you're describing sounds really messed up. I've not heard of anyone having these problems..including myself.

Hereticiv
06-23-04, 08:54 PM
hmmm, 61.50 drivers? Why don't you install the "real" 61.45 drivers and see what happens. Also what are your temps? That could be an issue. If you don't have the juice it should tell you. Hmm, I haven't had a single issue with my BFG 6800U OC. Perhaps you did just get a bad card. I doubt it though, it has to be some other issue. When you plug your old card in does it work fine?

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 08:55 PM
OK, it crashed during the auto overclocking test...

Hmm.. Maybe I should format? Maybe I should unplug my DVD burner too...

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 08:56 PM
Sorry, it was 61.45 not 61.50... My brain's a little all over the place right now, so pardon me. It idles at 60 degrees... But temp most likely isn't a prob, as even at 60, windows and such shouldn't take long times to load.,

ChrisRay
06-23-04, 08:57 PM
Hmm have you tried 61.34? Those are working fine for my 6800 Non Ultra

Hereticiv
06-23-04, 08:58 PM
WTF!? 60 is just fine for the temps...hmmm, try and put your old card back in and see what happens. Also, if you had an ATI card last time you will have to fully remove the ATI drivers from the system before you install the Nvidia drivers just to make sure there are no conflicts. This issue makes no sense to me. I've never heard of anything like this.

Clay
06-23-04, 09:00 PM
Sorry, it was 61.45 not 61.50... My brain's a little all over the place right now, so pardon me. It idles at 60 degrees... But temp most likely isn't a prob, as even at 60, windows and such shouldn't take long times to load.,
The only reason I suggested RMA is that I'm not sure how much time you have to return. Additionally, these problems you're having sound very out of the ordinary. I do doubt that the card is bad but you don't want to troubleshoot your way out of a possible return.

I'd suggest ruling out (or not) your power supply. It should be plenty though.

Nv40
06-23-04, 09:00 PM
try..

1)test you geforce in someone else machine.. (if possible)
2)unplug any hardware is not neccesary for your video card to work.. exx.. soundcards,tvturners,landcards and if you know something of tech support, disconect any secondary harddisk or even your cdroms. and configure correctly them and see if the problems continues..
3) flash your video card BIos.. but first contact customer support of your video card and tell them about your issues. if it is a hardware problem.. some companies (will deliver very quickly another card) withing a day or two..
4)conect back your older video card and see if the problem is fixed.
5)lastly but not final/. do a fresh windows reinstall.. of windows.. ask someone help for it if you dont know.. it have been said that once you switch hardware from ATi to NV or vice versa.. machines remains unstable if there are files from company competition still sorrounding in registry.

"long time loadings" could be a conflict of a device with another in your computer. usually it happens to me when i conect to close my soundcard with my lan card..

Clay
06-23-04, 09:03 PM
don't forget system restore, if you had that running and can go back prior to your ATI being installed then that might be worth a shot...it's a reach but I'd try that before a full reinstall.

Again, have you contacted customer support? What brand is it so that others may know and possibly be able to help.

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 09:20 PM
Well, my system won't allow itself to restore to a previous restore point. Maybe my computer is so full of viruses it is just ****ing up completely...

But the thing that gets me is the fact that it won't even pass the auto overclocking test... This is puzzling. I don't want to RMA it if I don't have to... I really have been meaning to format for a long while now so maybe I should try it and see what I can come up with.

Also, this is a Chaintech card.

Clay
06-23-04, 09:35 PM
Nothing should really be all that puzzling if your system is as honked off as it sounds. :) Have you called Chaintech tech support?

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 09:42 PM
AHHH!!!! Great news and bad news.

First the great news :)

After the unsucessful system restore, I just played a 15 minute stress test of what I consider one of the most torturous tests for your entire system including CPU and video card:

Unreal Tournament 2004 1280x1024, 4xAA 16x Aniso, 15 minute deathmatch using the level Rustatorium with 15 bots. It usually crashes within seconds if ANY part of the computer is not running properly, but I successfully completed the test.

NOw the bad news - Performance is absolute ****. I'm now convinced that some sort of driver conflict is the problem, so I'll be reformatting within the next few minutes.

Clay
06-23-04, 09:43 PM
cool :) Yes, it does sound like some kind of conflict, it's worth the reformat. Good luck!

MUYA
06-23-04, 09:47 PM
Good luck indeed. I also hate this kinda bother when u get your new $XXX toy..only for things to go tits up. :(

G'luck man...hope u get to enjoy your purchase.

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 09:48 PM
Oh yea, by the way.... The fan isn't really that bad at all. It's definitely louder than the Radeon 9800 Pro is but I actually like it alot more as the Radeon 9800 Pro had annoying sound that wasn't as loud, but the 6800 Ultra has a louder sound that isn't annoying. A reviewer put it correctly when they said it just sounds like alot of air moving...Kind of relaxing actually. But once the PSU fan kicks in during gaming, the fan is drowned out.

Digital_Maximus
06-23-04, 09:50 PM
Buyer Beware!!! PNY Will not refund you your money even if you end up with a
poopy Ge-Force 6800 Ultra. Well, now I have to RMA the card back to them
and wait till they send me a new one in early July. Now I'll be owning two
Ge-Force 6800 Ultra cards. One will be the BFG brand the other PNY.
At least I'll be able to recover my money on the PNY Ge-Force 6800 ultra by
selling it on ebay and getting over $600.00 for it. Since I ordered a BFG
Ge-Force 6800 Ultra OC from Best Buy today. That's all I need is one card.

Cheers Mate!!!! (spit)

Clay
06-23-04, 09:50 PM
Oh yea, by the way.... The fan isn't really that bad at all. It's definitely louder than the Radeon 9800 Pro is but I actually like it alot more as the Radeon 9800 Pro had annoying sound that wasn't as loud, but the 6800 Ultra has a louder sound that isn't annoying. A reviewer put it correctly when they said it just sounds like alot of air moving...Kind of relaxing actually. But once the PSU fan kicks in during gaming, the fan is drowned out.
heh, yeah my wife thought that I had the water faucet in bathroom running slowly or that we had the outside water hose on...it is one of the more tolerable (dare I say relaxing) fan noises. :D They should make a Zen model with some chimes now and then. :D

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 11:03 PM
Well, I just formatted.... So far things seem to be faster in loading windows and such WITHOUT any drivers installed than the GeForce 6800 Ultra did with drivers installed before the format... I'm 63% done with the 61.45 drivers now, I will install and let you all know how things turn out.

Digital_Maximus
06-23-04, 11:12 PM
Guys, I added some screen shots of my Ge-Force 6800 Ultra.
These pics show what my card is doing. Freeze up and checkered board
effect. You be the judge and give me some solid feed back.

coldfirenj
06-23-04, 11:15 PM
Man, I am having the exact same lock up problems with my PNY 6800U. Hope one of us figures this out...

surfhurleydude
06-23-04, 11:17 PM
Well, everything is going A-OK so far... I need to reinstall my games, but I have a feeling everything is goign to be fine :-D

My computer really was extremely ****ed to hell, MaxPower... I'm talking 50 viruses... It's weird because I'd delete them every day but they'd just keep coming back! It really is no surprise it didn't work. Oh well, everything seems fine so far. I'm downloading 3dmark2003 right now... Sucks I lost my keycode though... I'll just send them an email! I'd just like to thank you guys for not being assholes :)

Clay
06-23-04, 11:22 PM
Well, everything is going A-OK so far... I need to reinstall my games, but I have a feeling everything is goign to be fine :-D

My computer really was extremely ****ed to hell, MaxPower... I'm talking 50 viruses... It's weird because I'd delete them every day but they'd just keep coming back! It really is no surprise it didn't work. Oh well, everything seems fine so far. I'm downloading 3dmark2003 right now... Sucks I lost my keycode though... I'll just send them an email! I'd just like to thank you guys for not being assholes :)
Very cool, glad to hear you're back in business. Be sure to get the latest critical updates for XP...ASAP! Especially the RPC vulnerability...I'd also install SP2 if you can. NP, I can bee and a$$ sometimes I'll admit...sometimes people make bad first impression (plus, you jumped my case on a review once before I think) :D ..anyway, water and bridges...glad you found a solution. :)