PDA

View Full Version : Mah new laptop

netviper13
06-24-04, 02:17 AM
I'll be heading off to college and all this fall, and didn't want to go without a properly-equipped mobile-gaming-ri...err...laptop. I wasn't looking foreward to the pathetic battery life of the usual desktop processor condensed into a laptop case, so I decided to go the route of the new Pentium M Dothan core.

That being said, let's check her specs out:

Dell Inspiron 8600

CPU: Intel Pentium M 745 1.8ghz

Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ (it was an extra $50 for the WUXGA and I don't quite need that much resolution)

Memory: 512mb DDR333

Hard Drive: 80GB

Video Card: 128mb Radeon 9600 Mobile (for those boring lectures of course ;))

Networking: 10/100 NIC + 802.11b/g internal wireless

CD/DVD Storage: 24x CDRW/DVD combo drive

Dell Internal Bluetooth Card

Extra 48 Whr modular battery

I'm looking foreward to getting it in and seeing what it's capable of. With the extra battery, its life should range from 5-8 hours. Ah, my wallet suddenly feels much lighter :p

Gator
06-24-04, 07:04 AM
it's a very impressive laptop, good choice on the mobile R9600. I hate to say this though, but you're really gonna miss the performance of your Barton2500 and R9800Pro. Unless you're taking both with you ;)

Couldn't find any decent deals on an A64 laptop? Not that I'm in the market, but I do find it irritating that HP/Compaq have A64 laptops, but they equip them with stinkin GF4MX video cards. :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy your new ri... laptop. ;)

Sazar
06-24-04, 07:51 AM
how heavy is that thing :confused:

nice setup on the whole :)

congrats... and post pics :D

Riptide
06-24-04, 09:59 AM
You can get a 9700 mobility with that laptop, is that not correct?

netviper13
06-24-04, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the machine guys, I'll answer the questions below.

Gator: I'm definitely taking my main rig with me, but I also wanted a laptop to take around campus for note-taking, class work, and such. An A64 laptop would have been nice, but from what I've read AMD still has just taken the desktop version, lowered the clock speed, and lowered the voltage. The Dothans on the other hand were designed from the ground up to be mobile.

Saz: It starts at 6.9 pounds, won't know how heavy it is until it gets here. At first I wanted to go with an ultra-portable like the 600m (which is less than an inch thick), but it just didn't have the options the 8600 has.

Rip: Nope, only the 9100 and up have the option of the 9700 Mobile. The 9600 Mobile is the top card you'll find in the lighter, more portable systems.