PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice For The Right Upgrade

jcdenton18
06-24-04, 05:14 AM
Hi, guys
I've got a AMD XP2500+ overclocked to 3200+ running on ASUS A7N8X-X board with 512mb Corsair ram. In the machine was that old Geforce 3, now it's time to go for something with a bit more horse power. Will I need to buy Athlon 64 3800+ or P4 3.6EE just so I can pair it with a Geforce 6800 Ultra ??
Will my cpu drag the performance down by a lot ?? Sorry to say this, but there isn't a lot of review site out there does graphic card review with the older system (P4 2.4g or XP 2500+ for example). Not everyone can buy the "top end" stuff. And we don't really know if we'll get the benefit for paying top dollar for a brand spanking new graphic card just to find out that extra money are required to upgrade your CPU +MB as well. :lame:
So the question is..should I upgrade my CPU and MB before I put my money down for Geforce 6800 Ultra ?
Thanks guys, your inputs are most appreciated !! :)

ChrisRay
06-24-04, 05:18 AM
Personally, you could probably buy a 6800 Ultra and get decent performance from it. Yes you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU. Even my GPU is bottlenecked by CPU. (6800 Non Ultra)

But I got tangible gains with it on a 3200+ Barton.

Jarred
06-24-04, 05:19 AM
well you can always go with the GT, and if you feel that you want more performance you can overclock it.

But if you really wanna go with an ULTRA, you can always upgrade your machine later if the cpu is bogging it down. I don't have exp with this stuff.. although when I get my 6800ultra I'll test it out for you on a p4 2.2 and a p4 3.4

MUYA
06-24-04, 06:23 AM
yup 3rd'ed....get a new gen chipset 3d card. A GeForce 6800 GT would do wonders for your gaming sessions as would a x800 Pro.

Gator
06-24-04, 07:10 AM
A Barton 2500 at 3200 speed is a fine CPU, I see no reason why you can't get a 6800Ultra. But I think the 6800GT would make more sense because you could easily overclock it. Unless you have a highend Athlon64 FX, no matter what CPU you have it's probably gonna be the bottleneck for the 6800Ultra anyway so that gives you all the more reason to pick GT instead ;)

vläd
06-24-04, 07:29 AM
I agree with Gator, but I would definitely add another stick of 512mb Corsair. Also, what power supply do you have?

saturnotaku
06-24-04, 08:16 AM
Buy a 6800GT and another 512 mb stick of memory. Those two items will give you a very noticeable performance boost.

revbatboy
06-24-04, 08:55 AM
I agree with the comments above. 512 more ram and the GT will be a great upgrade.

Helanic Frost
06-24-04, 09:15 AM
Hi, guys
I've got a AMD XP2500+ overclocked to 3200+ running on ASUS A7N8X-X board with 512mb Corsair ram. In the machine was that old Geforce 3, now it's time to go for something with a bit more horse power. Will I need to buy Athlon 64 3800+ or P4 3.6EE just so I can pair it with a Geforce 6800 Ultra ??
Will my cpu drag the performance down by a lot ?? Sorry to say this, but there isn't a lot of review site out there does graphic card review with the older system (P4 2.4g or XP 2500+ for example). Not everyone can buy the "top end" stuff. And we don't really know if we'll get the benefit for paying top dollar for a brand spanking new graphic card just to find out that extra money are required to upgrade your CPU +MB as well. :lame:
So the question is..should I upgrade my CPU and MB before I put my money down for Geforce 6800 Ultra ?
Thanks guys, your inputs are most appreciated !! :)

A 6800 would be a good upgrade for you and you would see alot of performance gain from one. Every CPU on the market is going to bottleneck them. Sure a CPU upgrade would also add alot of performance gains, it just depends on where you want to spend your money and which you feel will give you the most added performance gains.

Personally i am waiting to upgrade to an Athlon64 CPU and mobo before i take the plunge for a new graphics card in a couple of months. Just really not in a big hurry since the rig i am building is for EQ2 which isn't due till this fall. I figure this way i will have the best system possible when it releases. Having played SWG and knowing how that game engine can drag a system down( even a very high end one) and EQ2 being based on the same engine, i feel it's worth the wait to build a proper system.

MUYA
06-24-04, 09:32 AM
His CPU is enough. His systems' bottleneck by far is the GeForce3. So a GPU upgrade dude..well a graphics card with a new gen GPU :p

Ruined
06-24-04, 11:48 AM
I'd go with a 6800GT