PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6800GT ----> 6800Ultra

b|indeyes
06-24-04, 06:48 PM
Heres what we know:

Same amount of pipes and RAM
GT can almost reach the same speeds of the Ultras

Heres what I we want to know:

Can we flash the bios of the GT card and make it to use the Ultra bios?

In theory this would work if the hardware (memory and GPU) are the same used in the Ultra just clocked down

If I am an idiot please take it easy on me:)

I am very eager to get my GT card it should be here monday

I was wanting to try this on it and give some results

After all I can always flash it back if I save the current bios correct?

ChrisRay
06-24-04, 06:50 PM
The 6800 Ultra may use higher voltages, So I wouldnt reccomend it. That one Molex is probably gasping for air as it is.

b|indeyes
06-24-04, 07:00 PM
The 6800 Ultra may use higher voltages, So I wouldnt reccomend it. That one Molex is probably gasping for air as it is.

that makes sense

so i would have to get more power to the card in order to raise the levels of frequencies on the core and memory then huh

Bartflaster
06-24-04, 07:24 PM
Actually, its not known how well the GT clocks, remember review samples are usually hand picked ;)

However, you and any others recieving them soon will test the likelihood of overclocks for the rest of us (salute)

But why would you want to flash to Ultra ?
Surely you find the max stable overclock, set it to load those at windows start-up and be done ... what advantage would there be in flashing it ? (genuine question, not sarcasm).

JayrodTremonki
06-24-04, 07:46 PM
Actually, the 1 molex connector isn't very starved on the GT. The 6800 Ultra COULD be run with 1 molex connector, but there would be almost no room for any sort of OC'ing, or any other kind of load, because it's VERY close. And actually, at least with the fx5900/5950 series there were a few minor advantages to flashing the BIOS. Slight voltage changes, and even loser ram timings.

bkswaney
06-24-04, 11:04 PM
As long as my GT can reach a 400 core and close to 1100 memory I'll be most happy. :D
I have a BFG GTOC coming. ;)
I like the factory overclocked cards. Just maybe the core will do 410+
and the memory will do 1100+.. :drooling:
I'm hoping BFG used a little better memory than everyone else did
on the OC line.

saturnotaku
06-24-04, 11:16 PM
As long as my GT can reach a 400 core and close to 1100 memory I'll be most happy. :D
I have a BFG GTOC coming. ;)
I like the factory overclocked cards. Just maybe the core will do 410+
and the memory will do 1100+.. :drooling:
I'm hoping BFG used a little better memory than everyone else did
on the OC line.

By moving my wireless card down a PCI slot, that opened up some more airflow around my video card. I've been able to successfully run my GT at 431/1120. :D

bkswaney
06-24-04, 11:24 PM
By moving my wireless card down a PCI slot, that opened up some more airflow around my video card. I've been able to successfully run my GT at 431/1120. :D

Is yours the BFG?
Man those are great overclocks. If mine will do those speeds
I'll be one happy camper for sure. :D
:drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

The GT is going to be the best bang for the buck since the Ti4200. But even better.

randsom
06-24-04, 11:27 PM

Now thats what im talkin about :drooling:

got the 299 gt on the way next week, ill be happy with the clocks saturnotaku is getting(till i get a waterblock that is.)

JayrodTremonki
06-24-04, 11:30 PM
getting the memory up anywhere near Ultra clocks has been pretty rare (from what I've seen). I'd consider yourself really lucky.

saturnotaku
06-24-04, 11:33 PM
I'd consider yourself really lucky.

This is honestly, clock for clock, the best OC I've ever gotten from a video card. I'm willing to bet most consumer cards won't get anywhere near these speeds. I would consider anything over 410 on the core and 1070 on the memory to be oustanding for the mass-produced samples.

Snooka
06-25-04, 12:59 AM
That 3DGuru review was good. I didn't see much of a performance difference between the Ultra and GT. Am I missing something?

Bartflaster
06-25-04, 03:29 AM
They tested with a P4-2.8 cpu Snooka, so the faster cards (ultra & XT) were CPU limited, thats why the results are very similar.

Nandro
06-25-04, 12:33 PM
Isnt there 1 manufacturer that is shipping the GT's with 2 molex's?

surfhurleydude
06-25-04, 12:37 PM
Don't expect to be able to flash the card's BIOS... More than likely it would cause the fan to fail and you'd be left with a ruined card; the cooling units for the 6800 Ultra and 6800 GT are NOT the same.

anzak
06-25-04, 12:53 PM
Don't expect to be able to flash the card's BIOS... More than likely it would cause the fan to fail and you'd be left with a ruined card; the cooling units for the 6800 Ultra and 6800 GT are NOT the same.

Cooling has nothing to do with the BIOS. Many people flashed the 5900 ultra to the 5950 ultra.

If the card overclocks to ultra speeds I don't see where flashing the BIOS would hurt anything. I also don't see the point.

surfhurleydude
06-25-04, 01:00 PM
You're right, it probably wouldn't **** anything up, I have no clue what I'm talking about!

Tym
06-25-04, 02:01 PM
Surely you find the max stable overclock, set it to load those at windows start-up and be done ... what advantage would there be in flashing it ? (genuine question, not sarcasm).

If the card overclocks to ultra speeds I don't see where flashing the BIOS would hurt anything. I also don't see the point.

A little note from a newbie ;-) Remember that by flashing the card you may also gain more "overclockability" beacuse of different timings and higher voltages. My Gainward FX 5900 (Golden Sample) easily made 475/950 (IIRC, 5950 Ultra speeds), but failed to go much higher using its default BIOS. When flashed to a 5950, with increased voltages, it made an impressive 518/1060 (perfectly stable, no alarming temperatures)!!!

Anyway, I flashed it back to the original default BIOS as I was worried it might fail in a long term. BTW, my 6800 GT arrives tomorrow, it's a Point of View card (don't know if that brand is known outside Europe). I'll let you know how it overcloks an performs on my mediocre :-( machine.