PDA

View Full Version : High Temperature with Athlon 64 3200 (Newcastle)

Underzenith
06-24-04, 06:56 PM
I just finished putting together a new system. Here are the specs:

Case: Kingwin KT-424
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo Platinum
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: Corsair Value Ram 512MB stick (PC3200)
Video Card: Geforce 2 GTS (temp)
Hard Drive: Maxtor 160GB 8MB Buffer
DVD + Floppy

After 3 minutes, the system temp stablizes at 37C (98F) and core temp is at staggering 63C (~145F). I was wondering if this is an incorrect temp or a bad cooling (using stock hsf).

Also, would I be able to install windows in this condition?

Thanks for all your help.

strk
06-24-04, 06:58 PM
I have same board and it reads temps high to i think it's just a mobo problem gl.

Sazar
06-24-04, 07:01 PM
are you sure you put the hsf on properly?

if it is incorrectly placed temps can soar coz only about half the hsf's base is in contact with the cpu heat-spreader...

alternatively if everything is in proper contact consider dling a new bios... there are some complaints about the temps being reported as too high or incorrectly per the bios setup..

don't worry about buring the cpu... amd has a thermtrip switch (for lack of a better term) that stops internal clocks when tripped... afaik that level is reached around the 70C mark but am not sure...

so double check your hsf's placement (it only goes on one way) and dbl check to ensure your bios is not problematic...

for nf3-250 based queries on your board... go here...

http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=28&sid=

hope all works out :)

Underzenith
06-24-04, 07:07 PM
It seems that I need a BIOS update. Unfortunately, I need to flash to a beta BIOS and it appears that MSI does not recommend flashing with a floppy. I guess I have to install windows first.

Also, if the kill switch is on the cpu and not the motherboard. Would the CPU itself be monitoring the correct temp?

EDIT: checked HSF, I believe it is good, both clips are in and it appears to be seated correctly. Actually, I think this motherboard allows you to put in the HSF in two different ways.

Thanks for the link.

Underzenith
06-24-04, 07:09 PM
I have same board and it reads temps high to i think it's just a mobo problem gl.

What is your CPU? Newcastle or Clawhammer.

strk
06-24-04, 07:18 PM
3400Clawhammer CG

Gator
06-24-04, 09:08 PM
this is a known issue with that particular motherboard. MSI is aware of the problem and the next bios update should fix it :)

Underzenith
06-24-04, 09:10 PM
Yeah, the heat sink was barely warm. My room temp is around 19-20C.

Sazar
06-24-04, 09:19 PM
kewl... thankfully not something more serious...

good thing there is built-in thermal monitoring :) else I woulda been worried

alternatively you can run it with CnQ (if you use windows) and keep cycles/temps low that way...

Underzenith
06-25-04, 07:00 AM
I think I got a hold of this problem. This is not MSI specific, it applies to all Newcastle cores with 4AX revisions. The actual temperature is around 20 degrees lower than what is reported, also the thermal shutdown is at 70C.

Unfortunately, this problems renders Cool n' Quiet useless. The cool part works, CPU will go to a lower frequency. But the fan still spins at max rpm to compensate for a preceived high temperature.

Hopefully, motherboard makers will fix this problem with a new BIOS. I think ABit already did.

EDIT: Also effects the clawhammers with CG steppings. AMD did something with their processor's thermal diode, and the change is documented.

Gator
06-25-04, 07:36 AM
Really? Newcastle reads the temp wrong? I thought it was handled by the chipset and bios? If that's true though, then I guess you learn something new everyday, and oh man I'm glad I picked Clawhammer.

That sucks bro, maybe a BIOS update could still work around that issue though :(

Underzenith
06-25-04, 07:44 AM
Really? Newcastle reads the temp wrong? I thought it was handled by the chipset and bios? If that's true though, then I guess you learn something new everyday, and oh man I'm glad I picked Clawhammer.

That sucks bro, maybe a BIOS update could still work around that issue though :(

AMD did something with their thermal diode. The old way of reading the temperatures are no longer valid. The chip itself knows the correct temperature which is around 20C lower than what is being reported. That is why people report temps over the shutdown limit.

DiscipleDOC
06-25-04, 08:54 AM
I've seen this problem on a MSI forum I've visted. I think they are going to put out a bios fix for this.

strk
06-25-04, 08:59 AM
http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=28&sid=

Sazar
06-25-04, 10:39 AM
if its a cpu problem then the thermistor is buggered I spose... :confused:

{Sniping}Waste
06-25-04, 10:49 AM
AMD did something with their thermal diode. The old way of reading the temperatures are no longer valid. The chip itself knows the correct temperature which is around 20C lower than what is being reported. That is why people report temps over the shutdown limit.

Can you post the Stepping on your 3200+.
I have a real Newcastle. The stepping on the newcastle are ADA3000AER4AX. The older Clawhammer will half the catch disabled are ADA3000AER4AR

The Newcastle I have has a Vcore of 1.4V and idels about 34C with out Cool&quite.

Underzenith
06-25-04, 03:42 PM
I have the 4AX.

hopefully, they will fix this by the time my 6800 GT arrives.