PDA

View Full Version : How about ecological energy saving cards?

Schugy
06-24-04, 08:17 PM
I don't want to underclock&undervolt a new graphics card on my own without guranteed results.
I think it's smart to use an Athlon64 with cool&quiet with a cool graphics card. 80% benchmark points, 50% energy consumption. I think 40-50W max. should be enough.

Ruined
06-24-04, 08:40 PM
If you want to save some energy, buy a card that doesn't have a molex connector, like the FX 5700 non-ultra for instance. And a slower CPU that doesn't draw much power. Smaller monitor as well.

Raptorman
06-24-04, 08:49 PM
Why do you want to save energy? You're using a max of what - 450 - 550 watts? That's not much if you take in account all the other electronic devices in the house.

I must be draining a nuclear power plant then, lol, cuz the electronic field in my room where my electronics is is so large that the phone 25 feet from this room will not work in here (wireless phone).

Oh well, back to waiting. :bash:

tieros
06-25-04, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure if this is "modern" enough for your needs, but I'm currently using an early ATi 9600 pro that doesn't even have a cooling fan on it. Under full load, the heat sinks on the ram and core are just barely warm to the touch.

I've got a Zalman copper "seashell" passive heatsink on the CPU, and both the CPU and GPU are cooled by a 120mm fan running at 1900 RPM.

I did it for noise purposes instead of energy, but it turned out to be very energy efficient, too.

The other way to go might be a watercooled unit. Zalman makes a low-power one that supports CPU and GPU cooling, but I'm not sure how efficient it is.

kahloq
06-25-04, 01:25 AM
Even running the highest end video card you can get and overclocking it as best as possible is only going to add maybe a total of $4 to your yearly energy bill

Schugy
06-25-04, 07:55 PM
Just a few reasons:
costs
cooling
noise
climate in my room

Cr@zy Chuckster
06-25-04, 08:06 PM
How about modding an Etch A Sketch in there? That would be the ultimate power saving, ecologically sound imaging unit :screwy: