PDA

View Full Version : Is PNY a good 6800U card to get?

Gn00b
06-24-04, 09:55 PM
I'm ready to jump the fence...

The 6800U looks like a good choice for a future-tolerant card.

A lifetime warranty has great appeal to me, and it looks right now as though BFG and PNY are the only ones who offer it.

From what I've read...

Chaintech: 3 yrs
eVGA: 1 yr
MSI: 3 yrs

I'd love to have the BFG, but I cant afford a new power supply, and I'm thinking that since BFG "requires" a 480w PS on their website (6800U OC) that my present PS may not be able to handle it.

Anyways, anyone have any comments on PNY's line of 6800's?

Thanks.

Banko
06-24-04, 09:56 PM
BFg doesn't require it recommends what nvidia did at one point, you should be fine with your psu.

coldfirenj
06-24-04, 10:17 PM
I have a PNY. I think they are a decent company.

kahloq
06-24-04, 10:53 PM
Yes you will be fine with a 430W PS Antec :) BFG is the one to go with since they have lifetime warranty

Several ppl have reported problems with the PNY brand of 6800's. Might be just their first batch, tho.

coldfirenj
06-24-04, 11:10 PM
My PNY problem was a driver issue.

saturnotaku
06-24-04, 11:31 PM
BFG doesn't require a new power supply. They go by what NVIDIA recommends. As long as you have a quality unit that puts out a minimum of 18A on the +12v rail, you'll be fine.

Be careful with PNY's so-called "lifetime warranty."

Lifetime Replacement warranty does not cover items out of production if PNY no longer stocks them. (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.) This warranty is not assignable. PNY's sole obligation under this warranty is to replace or, at its option to repair, with new or remanufactured product, free of charge, with like or similar product, all the product's defective parts.

Note the part in bold.

Clay
06-24-04, 11:40 PM
To help further clarify the difference that Sat pointed out:

BFG Technologies, on the other hand, has a true lifetime warranty. You can read the details about their warranty (http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html#lifetime), which John Malley, Director or Marketing and Public Relations, elaborates on:

"Our lifetime warranty is not limiting the definition of "lifetime" to "products on the market". With product cycles moving as fast as they do in this industry, that really makes PNY's "lifetime warranty" about 6-12 months.

If an end user and our tech support agree that their Asylum card has a technical failure, BFG Tech will replace that card with a card of equal or greater value. So, where PNY customers may be out of luck because a PNY product is no longer on the market, BFG Tech, given the same situation, will give the end user an equivalently valued product that is most likely newer technology (if the original product in not in stock or available)."The "Asylum" moniker is no longer in use BTW, that is from their past product line.

Ver
06-25-04, 10:37 AM
Well, if you just want the card NOW, no reason not to get a pny as all the cards (the ultras) were made by nVidia. However, if your looking for support/warrenty, avoid PNY at ALL costs. They will never answer the phone. I have no respect for a company who can't even be bothered to ever answer the phone and talk to its customers. You must leave a message and pray someone calls you back.

Stay away.

surfhurleydude
06-25-04, 10:40 AM
Get either eVGA or BFG... I have a Chaintech 6800 Ultra and it is pretty damn good, but eVGA and BFG have the best warranties. In reality though, the CompUSA extended warranty with any brand is the best way to go :-D

Nandro
06-25-04, 10:45 AM
I have called PNY 3 times. 2 times they answered the phone and the 3rd I left a message and the girl there called me back within an hour. I guess I'm just lucky.

Ruined
06-25-04, 11:07 AM
I'd go with BFG, the power requirements are the same across the board on all cards and BFG has the best warranty by far.

CaptNKILL
06-25-04, 12:03 PM
I dont know about their 6800s but since my 9600 Pro died, ive been using a PNY Geforce 2 MX 200 32Mb PCI. Its always been reliably there for me when i had a dead video card. PNY is good in my book :p