PDA

View Full Version : 802.11b and 802.11g

zoomy942
06-25-04, 09:05 AM
i have my desktop at 802.11g, and if i get a laptop with 802.11b then will my g copnnection slow down? so my desktop wont be connected fast anymore?

Clay
06-25-04, 09:40 AM
The "g" and "b" designations only affect your wireless transmission speed within your home network. It has nothing to do with your actual Internet connection speeds (likely 1.5Mbps ~3Mbps) if that's what you're asking.

Your laptop would only be able to perform at "b" speeds (theoretical 11Mbps) and your "g" connection would drop down to "b" speeds if it is connecting to your laptop.

If you have another "g" device connecting to your current "g" desktop then both would operate at "g" speeds.

zoomy942
06-25-04, 09:52 AM
oaky.. thanks. i should have been more clear. i have a g to my desktop and i am getting one for my laptop.. i know it would slow down my internet, but now trhat i know that my g will clock down.. i am gonna get a g card.

Clay
06-25-04, 09:56 AM
Right, 802.11g is backwards compatible and will drop down to "b" speeds if necessary. However, it will not "slow down your internet" as you said above. It has nothing to do with your Internet d/l and u/l speeds. Good luck :)

Sazar
06-25-04, 10:43 AM
what max said... :)

I bought a complete B kit last week... my brother has a G wireless setup... when I take our laptop to his place it works fine... just the data transfer is maxed @ 11mbps (or if you have a d-link, there are versions that burst @ upto 22 mbps)

there is no compatability problem afaik (helped that the netgear adapters manual said it was compatible with G networks :D )

internet wont slow down... jsut transfer rates and I would love to see regular internet cnnections with 11mbps transfer rates :D

demonized
06-25-04, 11:07 AM
Your desktop with the 11g card wont be affected but the laptop with the 11b card might not get to max out ur internet speed. I have one comp with an 11b card that can only get 3.5mbit from my 5mbit cable connection.

zoomy942
06-25-04, 11:54 AM
but my wireless speed for the g will slow down right?

Clay
06-25-04, 11:56 AM
but my wireless speed for the g will slow down right?Only when transferring data between a "b" device wirelessly...otherwise it will perform as it always has.

zoomy942
06-25-04, 12:28 PM
no kidding??? dang it! so from desktop to router will be g and unaffected by the b? and the b will be connected at b. so... 54 megs for my desktop and 11 for my laptop! dang! i thought the whole wireless netwrk had to be at teh same speed

netviper13
06-25-04, 12:46 PM
Thanks to routing technology that's not the case. It works the same way with cabled networks on a router or switch - a 100mbit connection can transfer at 100mbit to other 100mbit systems, and if your internet connection ran that fast it could run at 100mbit too; and if you add a system with a 10mbit NIC to the network, you can only transfer to and from that system at 10mbit, but the 100mbit system is unaffected otherwise. Ok so that was kinda confusing, but I thought it was a good example.

Clay
06-25-04, 01:00 PM
No that makes sense netviper. :) Basically almost any networking hardware is backwards compatible/capable regarding previous (slower) transfer rates.

ricercar
06-25-04, 02:37 PM
This is good to know. My Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway docs said that performance drops for G clients when a B client is connected.

Clay
06-25-04, 02:54 PM
This is good to know. My Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway docs said that performance drops for G clients when a B client is connected.Hmm, that could very well be true. I'd go by whatever those particular docs state. Does it say that it "will" drop or "could" drop? By how much?