PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia- Here we go

Wilson3D
06-25-04, 09:59 AM
Hello!
I read this forum for a long, long, long time, and rage3d also.
My last nvidia card was a GF2 GTS, since that im using ATI cards, radeon 8500,9700, and a 9800 now.
Despite the old problems, i think nvidia have made a superb card with the NV40 series, and now is time to go with nvidia again...and that was fun, because in the last years i was really a ATI fanboy, bashing NV30 cards all around... :ORDER:
After the first reviews i was decided to get a X800 PRO, but after the recent benchmarks with the 6800GT i was impressed...and knowing Nvidia drivers, all NV40 cards can gain some major performance boosts. I don't expect this in the R800 series, because...well, i know ATI drivers, while they fix some bugs almost in all releases we don't see much performance boosts.
I really don't believe PS 3 is a "must have feature" now, and i also don't think NV40 cards can run PS 3 without a great performance penalty, but since both cards, 800 PRO and 6800 GT, are running in the same level, PS 3 come as gift...a nice gift BTW.
I'm almost decided to get a 6800 PRO, but i have problem here. I don't know if a 6800GT will fit in my case, since my 9800 PRO is almost in the limit. Looks like the 6800GT will make contact with my HD or my memory modules :(

-So...to my question now... anyone here with a 6800GT can measure, in Centimeters, the size of the card?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english, i'm from Brasil.

Wilson3D
06-25-04, 02:24 PM
-So...to my question now... anyone here with a 6800GT can measure, in Centimeters, the size of the card?

Anyone?
Pleaseeee

kahloq
06-25-04, 02:35 PM
It will possibly depend on the brand. Some PCB's may be a centimeter shorter or longer. I wouldnt expect it to be larger then the 9800 tho.

DivotMaker
06-25-04, 02:36 PM
It will possibly depend on the brand. Some PCB's may be a centimeter shorter or longer. I wouldnt expect it to be larger then the 9800 tho.

My 6800GT is at least an inch longer than the 9800Pro/XT...

kahloq
06-25-04, 02:39 PM
What brand is your 9800 and what brand is your 6800 gt bertha jsut so the guy knows. Cuz your 9800 maybe a different brand then his and therefore may have a small PCB size difference. Just trying to think of any possibility

DivotMaker
06-25-04, 02:41 PM
What brand is your 9800 and what brand is your 6800 gt bertha jsut so the guy knows. Cuz your 9800 maybe a different brand then his and therefore may have a small PCB size difference. Just trying to think of any possibility

9800 Pro/XT : BBA

6800GT : nVidia reference board

Tym
06-25-04, 02:41 PM
My GT arrives tomorrow, I'll let you know as soon as I get my hands on it.

kahloq
06-25-04, 02:43 PM
bertha would you mind measuring your gt in centimeters for him so he can check to see if he has room in his box?

DivotMaker
06-25-04, 02:45 PM
nVidia reference 6800 GT : 8.5 inches long

kahloq
06-25-04, 02:49 PM
Wilson 8.5 inches equals 21.59 centimeters. I hope this helps :)

stncttr908
06-25-04, 04:21 PM
If your setup is anything like mine you're going to have a hell of a time getting a card that large in there. I have a Chieftec Dragon case and with my HDD cage filled with three drives I'm going to have very little room.

Wilson3D
06-25-04, 06:50 PM
Wilson 8.5 inches equals 21.59 centimeters. I hope this helps :)

Thanks!
really thanks!

PaiN
06-25-04, 08:03 PM
hmm.....I better take a quick measurement.....I have an Antec SOHO(Chieftec Dragon style) tower, my Raptor live in the lower bay and its close with the X800Pro.........

Tym
06-26-04, 08:34 AM
Mine has just arrived :-) The PCB is 21.6 centimeters long, plus the molex connector is right at the edge of the card, just like in my 5900. That's really a poor design decision, as you must effectively add the length of the plug to the card itself -- it protrudes another 1.5 cm. It touches the edge of my WD raptor in the bottom drive cage...

uKveld
06-26-04, 08:42 AM
you donĀ“t like it? give it to me :) well myb you should get a new case heheheh

Clay
06-26-04, 05:08 PM
Mine has just arrived :-) The PCB is 21.6 centimeters long, plus the molex connector is right at the edge of the card, just like in my 5900. That's really a poor design decision, as you must effectively add the length of the plug to the card itself -- it protrudes another 1.5 cm. It touches the edge of my WD raptor in the bottom drive cage...
What kind of case do you have? Have you adjusted the mounting of the HDs? Can you post a pic of this?

Tym
06-27-04, 03:17 AM
What kind of case do you have? Have you adjusted the mounting of the HDs? Can you post a pic of this?

The case is an Antec Plus View 1000 AMG, which is quite large. The problem is the drives in the bottom cage are shifted backwards an inch or so to accommodate a fan in front (I prefer to have them extra-cooled, just to be on the safe side, they're both 10K rpm).

Anyway, the card fits in the case somehow, and the problem may not apply to everyone. It would just be easier for many people if the molex connector was fitted perpendicular to the board or a bit away from the edge (as was the case with the Radeon 9800 Pro I've had). I'll try to post a pic later.

Scott@Bjorn3D
06-27-04, 06:05 AM
Since at this time all NVIDIA 6800 boards of any type are being made buy NVIDIA the only change is cooler and clock speed. How long the card is will not change for at least 2 months.

NVIDIA wants to make sure their launch goes well and supplies all AIB's with boards to sell. 90 percent will go with NVIDIA reference coolers and fans. Some will try their own. (They are not working by the way) I have many 6800U's from overseas that are trying their own cooler ideas and so far almost are have failed in our extreme power rig.

At this point I would stay away from any vendor NOT using the NVIDIA fan/cooler and going over 425MHz on the core.

Oh yeah, the power rig is my signature, so you and I know it is nice and warm in there.

Clay
06-27-04, 08:55 AM
The case is an Antec Plus View 1000 AMG, which is quite large. The problem is the drives in the bottom cage are shifted backwards an inch or so to accommodate a fan in front (I prefer to have them extra-cooled, just to be on the safe side, they're both 10K rpm).

Anyway, the card fits in the case somehow, and the problem may not apply to everyone. It would just be easier for many people if the molex connector was fitted perpendicular to the board or a bit away from the edge (as was the case with the Radeon 9800 Pro I've had). I'll try to post a pic later.OIC. Yeah the HD cooling you have in front is obviously a factor. A pic of your case would be very interesting to see. Not that there's a solution you already haven't tried/thought of but you never know. Someone here might have a good idea for you.

Regarding the molex orientation/placement. It's one of those things that some people like and others don't. I know that when the molex was placed perpendicular to the PCB (as was the case with many FX series cards) people complained about that. You had to take care to support the PCB when removing/inserting the molex drop due to the stress that would put on the AGP slot. I think the best solution would be to shift the molex connections back a bit into the PCB with the current orientation as you suggested. With PCI Express on the horizon, however, the power connection will likely change to a 4-pin configuration and thus a lot of this may change yet again.