PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Chaintech 6800GT :) now to begin

Pages : [1] 2

xdaishanx
06-25-04, 12:24 PM
Fedex showed up early :)

Cool box and came with some sort of green plush toy in it too - my killer Pug now has claimed that and is running around with glee the same as me with my card :)

Now to install/format etc and decide which way to go with drivers etc

Would rather stay away from the entire SP2 so downloaded the 9.0c witht the registry and hotfix patches and going to try the latest .71? drivers - suggestions on driver combos etc welcome too

Nandro
06-25-04, 12:26 PM
Congrats on your new toy!!! Fill us in on it when you have time.

surfhurleydude
06-25-04, 12:26 PM
Beware though, on my Chaintech 6800 Ultra the highest driver set I can use is 61.32... Maybe I got a buggy card or something, who knows.

xdaishanx
06-25-04, 12:27 PM
Will do - have it on my main machine so cracking it open now to begin work - if can find some batteries for the digital camera will toss some pics of the card up here

surfhurleydude
06-25-04, 12:30 PM
Make sure to let me know how the noise is on that puppy if you don't have a lot of case fans or anything ;) If the 6800 GT is quiet enough I might get rid of this Ultra for one of them.

xdaishanx
06-25-04, 12:31 PM
Beware though, on my Chaintech 6800 Ultra the highest driver set I can use is 61.32... Maybe I got a buggy card or something, who knows.

Hmm guess will try the latest to be a guniea pig since am formatting anyway and can nuke if major problems and will let everyone know here either way

xdaishanx
06-25-04, 03:16 PM
Running the .71 latest drivers with 9.0c dx on clean isntall of XP and on the Chaintech 6800GT

changed the res on the nalu demo to 1600x1200 and

well might just sit here all afternoon and be amazed that a personal computer has this much power

still stunned at how good it looks

schuey74
06-25-04, 03:26 PM
Running the .71 latest drivers with 9.0c dx on clean isntall of XP and on the Chaintech 6800GT

changed the res on the nalu demo to 1600x1200 and

well might just sit here all afternoon and be amazed that a personal computer has this much power

still stunned at how good it looks
I can recall the same feeling when I first ran the Werewolf demo on my 4600ti. Man, that was soooo impressive at the time. Just don't waste your time trying to explain to non-pc people that it's running on the fly, they'd be just as impressed seeing it in an mpg movie! :screwy:

kahloq
06-25-04, 03:41 PM
Can u guys physically measure the length of the gt installed in your systems in centimeters. there is a guy wanting to know in another thread.

DivotMaker
06-25-04, 03:44 PM
nVidia reference 6800 GT : 8.5 inches long

xdaishanx
06-25-04, 04:54 PM
yes its pretty much exact reference model here also with Nalu on fan/heatsink etc - its right at 8.5 inches also - actually seems smaller than my Gainward 5950 I had a couple months ago - good bit smaller actually

six_storm
06-25-04, 05:21 PM
Sweetness man. Alot of us will have a BFG Tech 6800 GT by this time next week. MAN I CAN'T WAIT!!! FarCry is going to be so awesome. BTW, zdaishanx, put some FarCry benchmarks up if you have the game.

Mike EFix
06-26-04, 12:35 PM
What do you think of your new card?
What games or demos have you tried? How do they run?
Have you Oced it any? if so, how far?
Any problems, glitches or crashes?
Which drivers do you recommend?
What's your AGP Aperture st to?
What's your AGP Vdd set to?
What is your FPS running Dawn demo at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAnis

Anything else you could share to someone who is considering purchasing this card?

xdaishanx
06-26-04, 12:45 PM
Been little busy so will try some more things out this evening on it - City of Heroes plays perfectly on it and the Nalu demo runs at 1600x1200 with zero problems

Quiet and have only overclocked a 5-10 mhz on core - doing that slowly to make sure it doesnt cause any issues

Running XPpro with directx 9.0c with hotfix/registry patch installed ( didnt want to install Sp2 as have friends who have tried it and have horror stories about misc online games with it )

Only issue was with the .71 drivers - did have couple sporadic crashes so uninstalled and did the driver clean and installed .32 and have had zero issues since

Mike EFix
06-26-04, 12:47 PM
Crash to desktop or system crash?

What are your system specs?

CaptNKILL
06-26-04, 12:55 PM
nVidia reference 6800 GT : 8.5 inches long
Thats about 21cm... since thats what the guy asked for :retard: :D

DivotMaker
06-26-04, 12:57 PM

I did not have a conversion chart handy...sorry that my response did not meet your approval... :rolleyes:

zakelwe
06-26-04, 01:17 PM
I did not have a conversion chart handy...sorry that my response did not meet your approval... :rolleyes:

1 inch = 2.54 cm, you should know that in your head, not need a conversion table ..multiply it by 2.5 for a rough answer ...

Jeez, what school did you go ( funk off from ) to ?

You'll be telling me next you don't know how many litres there are in an Imperial gallon :D

Regards

Andy

DivotMaker
06-26-04, 01:39 PM
1 inch = 2.54 cm, you should know that in your head, not need a conversion table ..multiply it by 2.5 for a rough answer ...

Jeez, what school did you go ( funk off from ) to ?

You'll be telling me next you don't know how many litres there are in an Imperial gallon :D

Regards

Andy

I gave the best answer that I could in the timeframe I was working with when I posted. I do not spend much time at all with the metric system, so your comment that I should have this on the top of my head is really a stretch and not your concern.

As far as my education, I received a BBA from Texas A&M University in May, 1981. I am halfway to my Masters in Business Management, but it is a slow process when you have a full-time career that includes a great deal of responsibility and travel.

I find your personal attack to be completely without merit and totally uncalled for. If you do not like my response, I think you know what you can do with it....you would have been better off keeping your piehole shut instead of perpetuating your obvious arrogance.

xdaishanx
06-26-04, 01:48 PM

Maybe that guy can convert it himself then ? :)

Lol I remember back in 70's in grade school my teachers trying to cram liters,cms down my throat because "the world uses it" and I needed to learn kph instead of mph since in a "few years" all our signs and cars would be on the metric system only

Still pumping the gallons and still going the mph almost 30 years later - :)

Clay
06-26-04, 02:21 PM
Alright guys, let's not argue about the metric system...puhleeasee...anything but that. :D Everyone needs to lay off personal attacks and questioning one's education, etc as well. :afro:

surfhurleydude
06-26-04, 02:23 PM
Well, congrats your Chaintech card is working with the newest drivers!!! I'm now wondering whether or not the problem is my card or something with my system... I guess I should find out by Monday whether I want to RMA this card or not.

Headbust
06-26-04, 03:24 PM
im american i have no use for the metric system, other than jokes about all the other countries that use it

xdaishanx
06-26-04, 05:19 PM
Well, congrats your Chaintech card is working with the newest drivers!!! I'm now wondering whether or not the problem is my card or something with my system... I guess I should find out by Monday whether I want to RMA this card or not.

Surf you might have missed my post in middle of thread - worked a while and then had crash to desktop with nvdll errors - rolled back to .32 drivers and havent crashed since - so its not yours its the .71 drivers :) - with everything running well now so far probably will stick with these until a major jump or finally whql forceware ones come out

Ruined
06-26-04, 05:23 PM
Yeh I wouldn't RMA unless your card doesn't work with A) the drivers it came with on CD or B) drivers released on Nvidia's website.