PDA

View Full Version : Memtest86 Extreme Failure (Help Please)!

Underzenith
06-27-04, 10:36 AM
I just got ~760,000 errors running memtest for 35 minutes. This is after massive system instabilities.

Motherboard: K8N Neo Platinum
Memory: Corsair Value Ram 512MB

Is this an incompatability or just busted ram? Should I RMA to newegg?

Riptide
06-27-04, 11:05 AM
Hmm... I take it you just set this up then, or had your system been running OK for a while before you ran into problems? If it is an incompatibility you should've had the issue from the start. If not, then possibly bad RAM. If you have more than one stick I'd pull one or the other and re-test to see if it's just one bad stick or not. If you are using one stick, see if you can find another one from a friend or somewhere else and give it a try. This'll let you know for sure if the board doesn't like that memory or if something else is going on.

Underzenith
06-27-04, 11:28 AM
Hmm... I take it you just set this up then, or had your system been running OK for a while before you ran into problems? If it is an incompatibility you should've had the issue from the start. If not, then possibly bad RAM. If you have more than one stick I'd pull one or the other and re-test to see if it's just one bad stick or not. If you are using one stick, see if you can find another one from a friend or somewhere else and give it a try. This'll let you know for sure if the board doesn't like that memory or if something else is going on.

OMG, I can't even reply without a blue screen. Yes, I just built this computer and was testing it to make sure everything was ready for my 6800 GT when it started blue screening on basically everything. Also, windows update sometimes fails due to a non-WHQL driver??? I didn't even know that was possible. My friend has a stick of PC2700 PNY RAM, does that work with athlon 64s?

Riptide
06-27-04, 11:47 AM
If it's that unstable you're in bad shape then. I'm surprised you got it through setup.

So you only have one stick of RAM? If that is the case, then move it to another slot perhaps and try to test. If that doesn't do anything, then you're only recourse is to test with another stick of memory that is known good. Also, I don't know if the PNY is supposed to work with your motherboard or not - I suggest you check your motherboard's manual or the manufacturer's website for supported DIMMs.

Underzenith
06-27-04, 12:02 PM
If it's that unstable you're in bad shape then. I'm surprised you got it through setup.

6th time's the charm!

Riptide
06-27-04, 12:19 PM
Got it working eh? Should be a big step up from yer sig. Replaced the GF2 I assume?

Underzenith
06-27-04, 01:26 PM
Well I got Windows to install on the 6th try. But Corsair suggested an RMA, which I will probably do after some more testing.

Nutty
06-27-04, 01:59 PM
Are you sure the memory timings are set correctly ? My bro bought was he thought was a 2nd stick of DDR400, turned out he cant run it at anything higher than 333, and the shop wont let him change it back.. bastards. I digress.

Rytr
06-27-04, 02:09 PM
RMA is you best option. Running ram at lower settings than its listed rating is not what you paid for whether the ram works at lower settings or not.

Underzenith
06-27-04, 11:00 PM
I hope it is PC3200, Corsair said so.