PDA

View Full Version : Riptides fx-53 thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sazar
06-27-04, 01:16 PM
when he gets it :cool:

so where is it rip? monday I presume is the drop-off date for the fed-ex man :D

congrats and keep us posted when you get the baby...

I assume you have the board prepped already :D

PsychoSy
06-27-04, 02:42 PM
Not if I intercept the Fed Ex man!! :D ;)

Riptide
06-27-04, 05:59 PM
Should be here Monday and I am taking off work an hour early to get here and copy a few files, then pull my XT, audyg 2, and RAM out of my machine. My buddy CurlySue is coming by around 5 MST and we'll be pulling my 3.0c and my D875 out, then installing the FX53 and the new motherboard. I'm hoping it'll take about 1.5-2HRs to get it physically changed out and ready to power up. Another 5 hours to build the machine, assuming I have no issues... Probably have a few benchmarks on Tuesday. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, this is my first VIA board ever. ;)

Sazar
06-27-04, 06:05 PM
try setting up the baby w/o the audigy initially... once the system boots then start putting other stuff in :(

clabs cards can cause minor problems when starting off initially :cool:

should ideally not take you longer than a coupla hours to get things going full-tilt :D

I'll be only tomorrow on irc if you need anything :cool:

g.luck :thumbsup:

Riptide
06-27-04, 06:15 PM
Thanks man. I'll try to remember and keep that creative labs out of there at first. I've never had a problem with that and my i875 but this abit does have built in sound and it may be a good idea to go in and configure the BIOS including turning that off before I put the audigy back in there.

I'll have access to the net on my wife's 2.53ghz dell so we won't be cut off from the outside world if we run into problems.

Really, the only thing that concerns me is getting the CPU socketed and that HSF installed properly. I've never done it before. My buddy will probably handle that, but he has a lot of experience with P4 HSF installs and not so much with the athlons. We'll have to study the diagrams in the manual and be careful. You said we don't need to screw it down extremely tight right? I remember you saying something about 75lbs. of pressure.

CurlySue loves to apply arctic silver. He's quite good @ it. :)

GlowStick
06-27-04, 07:29 PM
Are you useing your Zalman?

Riptide
06-27-04, 08:10 PM
I am going to try and use the zalman first. As long as we don't have any issues attaching it. Otherwise I'll use the stock HSF that comes with the retail box FX53 I got.

I would assume the zalman is superior to the stock HSF. It sure has been nice w/my 3.0c - very quiet.

GlowStick
06-27-04, 08:16 PM
I am going to try and use the zalman first. As long as we don't have any issues attaching it. Otherwise I'll use the stock HSF that comes with the retail box FX53 I got.

I would assume the zalman is superior to the stock HSF. It sure has been nice w/my 3.0c - very quiet.
I belive actually that you take off the plastic bracket and attach the zalman directly to the nipples via supplied hardware from zalman.

Riptide
06-27-04, 09:45 PM
When you mean the plastic bracket, you're talking about the retention frame or rather the square plastic piece that surrounds the actual socket? That thing has to come off?

GlowStick
06-28-04, 01:02 AM
When you mean the plastic bracket, you're talking about the retention frame or rather the square plastic piece that surrounds the actual socket? That thing has to come off?
the square plastic peice that surrounds the socket, you will eaisly see what zalman did. Its really simple once you can acutally look at it, the black bracket is held on by the 2 nipples, then the stock HSF just clip onto that, but why go though the middle man, alot of aftermarket ones attach to the nipples directly.

jAkUp
06-28-04, 01:11 AM
hehe.. nipples

Riptide
06-28-04, 08:48 AM
Thanks, I noticed from looking at the zalman's instructions that yep you do have to remove that retention bracket. The zalman doesn't need that thing and screws down right into the nipples like you were saying. Should be a piece of cake, actually easier to mount than using those stupid brackets w/skt 478.

Now I just have to make it through the day with the CPU sitting on my desk here, begging me to bone out of work and go home to install it. :D

MUYA
06-28-04, 09:29 AM
hehe.. nipples

Shut Up Butthead

heh heh heeh...uh huh huh huh...heh heh

GlowStick
06-28-04, 11:59 AM
Thanks, I noticed from looking at the zalman's instructions that yep you do have to remove that retention bracket. The zalman doesn't need that thing and screws down right into the nipples like you were saying. Should be a piece of cake, actually easier to mount than using those stupid brackets w/skt 478.

Now I just have to make it through the day with the CPU sitting on my desk here, begging me to bone out of work and go home to install it. :D
Say your sick and escape from work! (inv)

Riptide
06-28-04, 08:10 PM
Hmm... I installed my FX53 tonight using the new method for applying arctic silver where you put just a small blob (1.5 grains of rice in size) right on the CPU and simply place the HSF on there and give it a slight twist both ways. Then ofcoures tighten it down, blah blah..

Well the board is reporting 50c temps @ idle in the BIOS right after booting.

Is this normal or is something wrong there?

Sazar
06-28-04, 08:26 PM
make sure you have the hsf on the right way... unless it can't be on the wrong way :confused:

never installed an a64 hsf w/o the bracket... dunno if the nipples are any different...

btw I would not worry about temps in the bios on startup :)

/me just read the bios part :D

sometimes mine shows up @ 45C - 50C but its actually running much cooler...

check out the temps when in windows and see whats going on..

Riptide
06-29-04, 12:10 AM
Ah, breaking in some new technology. :) As usual, it won't just work. So, here's how things have gone so far.

Upon initial boot BIOS shows good voltage and fan speeds, but crappy temps. CPU @ 50c, PWM (power module) @ 36c. Took the HSF off and reseated everything. Same results. Talked to Sazar and others, decided to press on and see what happens in Windows.

Had serious stability issues at this point. BSOD during windows setup. Relaxed the memory timings after clearing CMOS and that seems to have fixed it. Will have to play with the timings later... Next, I disabled the onboard sound since I forgot to do that earlier apparently. After saving in BIOS, system won't POST. Long beeps one after the other. Removed CL card after powering down, system comes up fine. Powered down, put CL back in, system powers up OK.. Hmm.. Strange. Definitely seems quirky with that CL stuck in there if you change the onboard sound setting, even if to disable it.

One other oddity. If I fire up the Abit monitoring software, Uguru, it says my temps are a mere 24c for CPU (@ idle ofcourse) and 36c for PWM. Way, way big difference between the software and the BIOS. Which should I believe? Does it even matter? Something isn't right there...

Anyhow, I've got 3dmark2001 almost done running and will run 3dmark03 as well. Will post back with some scores later. At least it's running now... Definitely gonna take some time to figure this all out and find out why it doesn't like my RAM @ Cas2.

jAkUp
06-29-04, 12:14 AM
never installed an a64 hsf w/o the bracket... dunno if the nipples are any different...

teehee.. lots of nipples in this thread

MUYA
06-29-04, 12:17 AM
teehee.. lots of nipples in this thread

Butthead!

:D

uh huhhhuh uhhhuhh....EeehhHhehehehHHHhee

they said....

jAkUp
06-29-04, 12:19 AM
uh huhuhuhuhuh nipples...

This post is in celebration of my post number 3,333, and also 35 days till doom3... you may now resume the topic :)

Riptide
06-29-04, 12:32 AM
But what if I want to keep talking about the nipples? ;)

Hah, well my 3dmark2001 score went up 6000 points (26,800 now) and my 3dmark03 score only went up around 600 points. But this is all with very relaxed timings and a non tweaked install of XP. I have lots left to do but unfortunately it is going to be bed time soon. Damn work, always gets in the way of my fun!!

jAkUp
06-29-04, 12:33 AM
yes work.. but now its time to update your sig! w00t

Riptide
06-29-04, 02:19 AM
OK so I wouldn't go to bed. I am an obsessive compulsive if I ever saw one. :)

System is nearly built, I just need to get games on it. I'm going to let her fold all night. Should burn in nicely. Tomorrow I'll try to get some game benches done, and also maybe play with my timings.

Riptide
06-29-04, 09:34 AM
System folded all night last night with no issues. Seems OK now. I still need to get the problem with my RAM timings sorted out, but what else should I expect with a first release BIOS on a brand new motherboard? I should know better than to expect it to just work... ;)

I have some pictures to post up but they're to large to upload directly and I can't seem to get to imageshack to have them hosted right now. Not sure if it's blocked by our firewall here @ work or if it's just down right now. I'll try again later or post them after work today.

Oh, and the BIOS still reports warm temps while Abit's uguru software says it's fine. 42c @ load in the software. In the BIOS it says 51c! :screwy:

|JuiceZ|
06-29-04, 10:09 AM
Gotta love the growing pains of fresh silicon, welcome to the club ;) Glad everything is *finally* running smoothly. btw, you're not alone w/ the obsessive compulsive gotta fix pc thing, I'm infected too :D