PDA

View Full Version : fx 5900 ultra lag

XP_GUN
06-28-04, 01:52 PM
I have notice lately that my card has begun to lag on graphics games like hitman, 1942, and farcry. I have tried reinstalling the drivers updating to directx 9c and still nothing. I also check for spyware but nothing and rewired my computer. I think that it might not be getting enough power from my 430w linkworld power supply. Could this play in a factor in this?

Windows XP Pro SP2
P4 3.0 HT
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
Forceware 61.71
PNY 3400 512
430W power supply

Jarred
06-28-04, 02:24 PM
I have notice lately that my card has begun to lag on graphics games like hitman, 1942, and farcry. I have tried reinstalling the drivers updating to directx 9c and still nothing. I also check for spyware but nothing and rewired my computer. I think that it might not be getting enough power from my 430w linkworld power supply. Could this play in a factor in this?

Windows XP Pro SP2
P4 3.0 HT
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
Forceware 61.71
PNY 3400 512
430W power supply

what kind of Lag? What settings are you trying to play the games at? I found that really bad sound drivers can slow cpu performance down, hows your sound card?

430W should be enough for a 5900u. I got a 5900u and playing BF at 1024x768 is fine.

XP_GUN
06-28-04, 02:34 PM
I run everything at 1024x768 with 4x antialiasing 8x anisotropic. Everything on 1942 is on high as well as "hitman 3". Farcry is a mixture of settings mostly high. The lag that I get is like Im running and all of the sudden it just stops and freezes with the sound repeating then after about 15 seconds it continues and after about 5 to 10 min it dose it again. During this its at about 46' C so no overheating.

Jarred
06-28-04, 02:46 PM
I run everything at 1024x768 with 4x antialiasing 8x anisotropic. Everything on 1942 is on high as well as "hitman 3". Farcry is a mixture of settings mostly high. The lag that I get is like Im running and all of the sudden it just stops and freezes with the sound repeating then after about 15 seconds it continues and after about 5 to 10 min it dose it again. During this its at about 46' C so no overheating.

how much ram do you have and waht kind?

XP_GUN
06-28-04, 02:54 PM
I only have 1 stick of 512mg ram pny pc3200 im saving up to get 2 new sticks it is temporary. The only reason I asked about the power supply was that I would put the money twords that than the ram.

Jarred
06-28-04, 03:23 PM
I only have 1 stick of 512mg ram pny pc3200 im saving up to get 2 new sticks it is temporary. The only reason I asked about the power supply was that I would put the money twords that than the ram.

Your PS should be more than enough to supply a 5900ultra, I don't tihnk the problem is with your PS, but most likely a ram or sound bottleneck somewhere.

rewt
06-28-04, 03:25 PM
The lag that I get is like Im running and all of the sudden it just stops and freezes with the sound repeating then after about 15 seconds it continues and after about 5 to 10 min it dose it again. During this its at about 46' C so no overheating.

Sounds like a overheating or improper throttling issue, but it wouldn't be locking up at 46' C. Playing games at 4x AA / 8x AF I find it very hard to believe that your temps remain this low, unless of course you run water cooling. I suggest you run RivaTuner hardware monitor or Speedfan to monitor the temps over time. If you exit a game and check the temps they could already have gone down 20 degrees or more!

fr_maddog
06-28-04, 04:01 PM
hello, i have a geforce FX5900 XT from PNY.
and i have big troubles with Farcry.
i can't run it 1024x768 more than details set as just above standard and without antialiasing. and i need to replace direct3d9 driver by opengl.
cuz otherwise i have big strange with textures and big flickers.

but it is the only game who lag.
i have tried Colin Mac rae4 1024x768 full details antialiasing 4x
splinterCell2 idem.
Battlefield 1942/DC and BFvietnam 1024x768 at at full.
only BFV just lag sometimes.
Hitman contract run perfect in 1024x768 full details (except post filtering).

the only thing wrong is the display is strange with light colors like whit colors.
it look like i have power failure.

My config is :
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ barton (1920Mhz).
512 DDR400
SB LIVE 1024. (the first series).
PSU: 400W (with a 300W the card is :( ).
HardDrive SATA 120Gb buffer 8Mo.

PS : i wanted to include screenshots of farcry but the upload failed

mustrum
06-28-04, 04:05 PM
Farcry and FSAA with that card. Not in this life dude. Get a radeon or a 6800 but FX : :udawg:

Sorry couldn't resist. Maybe your agp driver is bugged. try to reinstall your chipset drivers.

rewt
06-28-04, 06:06 PM
Farcry and FSAA with that card. Not in this life dude. Get a radeon or a 6800 but FX : :udawg:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Sorry thats not true my 5900 can handle Far Cry at High AA settings using the Radeon codepath. But dual 6800s could probably play at 16xS :p

XP_GUN
06-28-04, 07:29 PM
Sorry about the temps are up to 75' C in about 3 min(omg) but staying level I got great cooling in my pc like 5 fans 3 blowing in 2 blowing out. It must be the new performace bios from evga that I install trying to fix the problem I have never seen it go this high, hmm must be summer which I hope Ill be adding a water cooling system around the end of october. I just got back from football so ill try updating the motherboards bios and stuff. I know that sound cards can play in a role of slowing down a video card can this case it, I am going to try this after I get cleaned up.

XP_GUN
06-28-04, 10:32 PM
I just updated my motherboards bios and still no luck. Im thinking that its just the one stick of ram I got in there so maby tomorrow Ill go down and pice up another stick in the mean time ill look around to see if anyone had the same problem and see how they fix it.

sonyman
06-28-04, 10:33 PM
I just updated my motherboards bios and still no luck. Im thinking that its just the one stick of ram I got in there so maby tomorrow Ill go down and pice up another stick in the mean time ill look around to see if anyone had the same problem and see how they fix it.
Run Memtest if you think the memory is the culprit.

Scott

zoomy942
06-28-04, 10:41 PM
i had the same problem. i solved it by puttin some aluminum ramsinks on my memory. it was heating up alot, asnd i didnt think it mattered, but apparently it did.

XP_GUN
06-28-04, 11:57 PM
^ I had already got one on my ram but thanks for the advice.

I think ill start the Memtest stuff now. But there’s only one thing that confuses me is that CCGenrals, Counter Strike and Flight Sim 2004 I don’t have a problem with.

EDIT ok I did the test using "memTest" about 4 times and came up nothing 0 errors....

XP_GUN
07-03-04, 09:48 PM
Ok I have good news and still the same dang problem. I upgraded my ram with the same stuff and now have 1GB, I can now play FarCry on all the max settings with good FPS :kill: and runs and loads alot faster now, but still I have the same locking up problem on 1942 and FarCry but not as often in FarCry. I have just used my 500w powersupply that I had on my pc and still locks up. I am right now going to reinstall DirectX 9.0c thats if I can find the c Version....

XP_GUN
07-04-04, 01:50 AM
I have now reinstalled to directx drivers and still get the same thing. I am running right now the dusk demo and its not locking up now this makes me believe maybe 2 things. 1st is might it be the sound card that is causing this to happen. 2nd maybe a driver conflict. I am planning to tomorrow test the pc without a sound card to see if anything happen and maybe load xp and some games onto one of my spare hard drives tomorrow and load the updates and see if it just might be a conflict with the Drivers or something.
I am running a Creative Audigy Gamer sound card.

If anyone have any ideas please reply.

Bill The Cat
07-04-04, 03:18 AM
EDIT: Never mind.

SH0DAN
07-04-04, 03:35 AM

My system plays Farcry well at everything on medium but textures on high and water on high.the performance at a res of 12x9 with 2 x aa + 2xx aniso,is acceptable and goes at a decent clip.noticed I said "well",not great...my
cpu is certainly not the prob,nor is the amount of ram I have as its 2 gigs of pc3200... :D

XP_GUN
07-04-04, 10:07 PM
Its not the sould. I guess I am just going to put up with it until I can get a hold of evga to hear what they say about the issue.

Now I am thinking about upgrading to the 6800 GT but don’t have the money yet. I can get this card sold for I’m hoping $200 off of eBay and then make the $150 and what until the GT's get around $350 which should be in a mouth or less than to bad I missed the PNY sell. :bash:

I don’t know yet if I should go to the GT or hold and what until the nv48 hmmm.

XP_GUN
07-10-04, 10:53 PM
Well I finally found out what must have been casing it, turns out that it was my anti virus program Norton. When ever it was turned on it would case my games to I guess start to lockup and when it was off it ran flawlessly. :beer2: