PDA

View Full Version : My prediction for when we'll see mass availability of 6800

jcossin
06-28-04, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing we won't see the 6800 available in mass until we see a WHQL Forceware posted to nVidia's site.

The average schmuck isn't going to know where to get the driver if it doesn't come with their card or from nVidia's web site. Probably the packages are being held back by the card manufacturers until they have a WHQL driver from nVidia that they can slip into the package...

Jedi Rainman
06-28-04, 04:13 PM
I'm guessing we won't see the 6800 available in mass until we see a WHQL Forceware posted to nVidia's site.

The average schmuck isn't going to know where to get the driver if it doesn't come with their card or from nVidia's web site. Probably the packages are being held back by the card manufacturers until they have a WHQL driver from nVidia that they can slip into the package...

That makes some sense but why piss off over 10,000+ people who are waiting for there Ultra or GT just because we don't have a WHQL driver? Thats what doesn't make sense.

jcossin
06-28-04, 04:26 PM
Because if there isn't a stable driver version, the card manufacturers will probably be flooded by support calls and returns, and they don't want that...

Jedi Rainman
06-28-04, 04:32 PM
But there are already stable drivers out...

pjstp20
06-28-04, 07:05 PM
Because if there isn't a stable driver version, the card manufacturers will probably be flooded by support calls and returns, and they don't want that...

That makes sense to me. They should just tell us so we can focus our angst on the certification process/ nvidia driver team. :fu:

Raptorman
06-28-04, 07:50 PM
I just feel like shooting BestBuy's HQ, and GameVE. Lol, I'm sick of this "You must wait more" game.

:banghead:

DivotMaker
06-28-04, 07:52 PM

61.34's are as stable as any drivers I have used.

Sorry, but this is an issue of actual card production, not drivers...

Cota
06-28-04, 07:57 PM
It would make more sense if it was a mainstream card, but the 6800 is for hardcore gamers who already know about beta drivers and have no problems using them.

John the Canuck
06-28-04, 08:00 PM
It's pretty easy to get a hold of one right now. All you have to do is order of off the net. As for store availability, that's another story. It really depends on where you live and the demand for the card. It probably won't show up here in the Toronto area for about a month or so. I've checked a few stores, and they don't really have any idea as to when they're getting them in stock. A lot of places here don't want to carry them because they will be very expensive since they aren't readily available. As for driver stability, even Nvidia's beta drivers are pretty stable. I've never had any major issues.

mikechai
06-28-04, 08:06 PM
Its not because of drivers, obviously.
The 61.36 drivers is WHQL and stable as hell.

jcossin
06-28-04, 09:02 PM
It would make more sense if it was a mainstream card, but the 6800 is for hardcore gamers who already know about beta drivers and have no problems using them.

Maybe the Ultra, but certainly not the GT or plain 6800 which use the same drivers. Those are mainstream all the way!

jcossin
06-28-04, 09:03 PM
Its not because of drivers, obviously.
The 61.36 drivers is WHQL and stable as hell.

Where do you read that the 61.36 are WHQL? I haven't seen that.

PiIsExactly3
06-28-04, 09:14 PM
My prediction for when we'll see mass availability of 6800
After we all get ours.

They're be plenty on the shelves after that. ;)

PaiN
06-28-04, 09:39 PM

I was thinking the same damn thing....What if its nVidia holding up the show while they get there act together. :bash:

saturnotaku
06-28-04, 09:47 PM
Sorry, but this is an issue of actual card production, not drivers...

Listen to BBEA, for he is wise beyond his years. ;)

jcossin
06-29-04, 06:13 AM

I don't buy it. If nVidia has such a great WHQL driver, why not post it to their site? Are they afraid to commit? ATI has commited to the x800 with the Catalyst 4.6 drivers on their site with official support. (Not trolling, just pointing this out.)

saturnotaku
06-29-04, 08:01 AM
You have to remember that the 6800 is far more than just a respin of the NV3x, which is quite unlike the X800. Although I wish NVIDIA would simply re-write its drivers to not support really old cards, you have to remember that even the most recent drivers still have support for the original TNT.

DivotMaker
06-29-04, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the support, but now I DO feel old... :thumbsup: