PDA

View Full Version : 44.03 8xS Supersampling vs. 61.71 8xS ??

rewt
06-29-04, 01:17 AM
The drivers which were originally developed for the FX series (44.03-56.72) seem to have a large quality advantage when using SS AA (4xS, 6xS, 8xS). That is a smoother level of AA than 61.xx can provide for FX users.

I've tested many geforce 6800 drivers including 61.71 and there seems to be no level of filtering when SS AA is applied. :( Even when forcing any direct3d SS AA mode using RivaTuner.

First hold your mouse over each thumbnail below, it'll tell you the file description, driver version, and AA level so you know what you're looking at when you click it. Also easier to notice the quality differences when you flash between two like screens using your browser.

Sorry if the pics are a little compressed but thats to cut down on filesize. You should still see the differences.

Notice both the 44.03 screens look quite a bit better.

fivefeet8
06-29-04, 01:40 AM
It's probably because the new 6x.xx forcewares are made to use the Nv40's new RGMS AA. On GeforceFX cards, mutisampling AA doesn't work in the hybrid SS modes. So essentially, you'll only get SS AA, not the MS AA..

rewt
06-29-04, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the reply. I wonder does any of the 6800's AA modes provide this extra level of texture detail? I really like the 6x.xx drivers for their quality and speed, but just wish they'd put the older FX AA modes back somehow (it would obviously make the quality even better). Unfortunately no RivaTuner came out today because more options are being added, so I am unable to see if it will force the old AA modes. It should be available soon tho. Well worth the wait so I hear.

fivefeet8
06-29-04, 02:00 AM
The old AA modes are still there for the most part. ChrisRay's done some test showing they are available with registry tweaks. Super Sampling is also still available on the Nv40's. Although it's also been changed into RGMS. And yes, they still get higher texture detail when using the Hybrid modes..

ChrisRAys also said that the Nv40 has a hidden 16xS FSAA.. 4xSS*4xMS...

rewt
06-29-04, 02:45 AM
The old AA modes are still there for the most part. ChrisRay's done some test showing they are available with registry tweaks. Super Sampling is also still available on the Nv40's. Although it's also been changed into RGMS. And yes, they still get higher texture detail when using the Hybrid modes..

ChrisRAys also said that the Nv40 has a hidden 16xS FSAA.. 4xSS*4xMS...

I do remember seeing a screenshot of 16x AA. I was impressed, especially by the smoothness of the horizontal and vertical edges.

You know what, I think I screwed up bigtime on my SS AA tests above... I was running the AF tests after I had renamed the .exe to halo.exe a while back. BUT nVidias new forceware drivers are programmed to disable AA on halo.exe (because Halo doesn't support AA). Boy do I feel stupid now... LOL So my test involving 8xS and texture filtering may not be a valid one.

Well I better go test this out. :)

rewt
06-29-04, 03:05 AM
Sure enough it was my error. Instead of halo.exe, I renamed the AFtester.exe program to 3dmark03.exe, and here's what I got. Remember AA is set to app controlled (and in the AF tester is set to OFF), yet we can clearly see there is filtering being done by the 8xS mode.

Surely hope I didn't confuse you guys! Thanks fivefeet8 for your help.