PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Pro Logic encoding on a sound card...

CaptNKILL
06-29-04, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know of any cards that encode dolby pro logic? Thats what my old surround speaker system uses and since I have a 6800GT on the way, I have to consider getting a new mobo\CPU setup. But that means I lose my Soundstorm :cry:

So far Soundstorm is the only thing ive seen that has DPL encoding. This systems sounds totaly horrible without it. Ive tried my Live! 5.1 and my Santa Cruz and they just sound aweful compaired to the Soundstorm.

Ive heard rumors of the nForce 4 having Soundstorm 2... but as far as i know, that is a PCI-X board, so... i wont be able to use my AGP 6800GT (omg)

Maybe I'll just buy a 2500+ and a watercooler and overclock the hell out of it and keep my current setup. :retard:

|JuiceZ|
06-29-04, 12:26 PM
If you're picking up a 6800GT you'd be better off upgrading. The best thing to do next to the soundstorm is to pick up an A2 ZS. As mentioned in other threads though, depending on the board the latest realtek codec ALC850 + nvidia 4.24 drivers, doesn't sound all that bad.

CaptNKILL
07-03-04, 01:23 AM
If you're picking up a 6800GT you'd be better off upgrading. The best thing to do next to the soundstorm is to pick up an A2 ZS. As mentioned in other threads though, depending on the board the latest realtek codec ALC850 + nvidia 4.24 drivers, doesn't sound all that bad.
Sorry, heh, forgot about this thread :retard:

But i dont know if i can upgrade. Itd cost me a LOT of money.

New board, new CPU, new RAM (tho i guess mine would work ok), and a new speaker system (without pro logic encoding this one simply sounds like crap..).

For a decent speed boost id have to buy at least a 3200+ and then overclock it... im probably looking at around $600 for an upgrade (without RAM). And i dont see any benchmarks anywhere that make me think id get $600 worth of a performance improvement.

I think i'll wait for cheaper, faster Athlon 64s and an nForce 4 board. Right now the performance increase just isnt big enough from my current setup.

Smokey
07-03-04, 06:18 AM
You could always grab one of those mobile cpus and overclock it?
As to the sound, most I have read, people that have moved from soundstorm to A2 have never looked back.

Dazz
07-03-04, 11:55 AM
No need really the A3 ZS can do everything that the, however you will need to get a Audigy front panel and that so you can use optical and that, but if you have Creative labs Digital speakers then theres no need as their Digital out is as good.

CaptNKILL
07-03-04, 09:44 PM
No need really the A3 ZS can do everything that the, however you will need to get a Audigy front panel and that so you can use optical and that, but if you have Creative labs Digital speakers then theres no need as their Digital out is as good.

Im kinda confused but i think you meant that the Audigy 2ZS can do everything that the soundstorm can do.

But it cant :p

Sound storm is the only chip that has Pro Logic encoding unless its some really hidden feature on the Audigy chips. What pro logic does is create a surround sound signal from a single analog (stereo) connection. I have my entire system getting a surround signal from just the "front" output of my soundstorm.