PDA

View Full Version : Noise on the fan of the 6800Ultra??

Pages : [1] 2

Gurra101
06-29-04, 02:23 PM
Im wondering if you that have the 6800Ultra think the sound level is on the fan?? Is it very loud?

WEEE my first post :clap: :clap:

Odral
06-29-04, 02:46 PM
I heard that it's just a bit loud as the system is booting up than when the drivers kick in it's quiet. Hope that helps.:)

Clay
06-29-04, 02:50 PM
It is quieter than the 5950Ultra and 5900Ultra that I had in the past. It does spin up to a noticeable level during bootup as Odral stated. However, that drops down to case fan/PSU ran noise levels so it's barely noticeable once you're in Windows and while gaming.

Gurra101
06-29-04, 03:49 PM
Ok that sounds good :) How about the heat then? Is it very warm?

Clay
06-29-04, 04:10 PM
Ok that sounds good :) How about the heat then? Is it very warm?
Mine is in the upper 40s during 2D and it goes up to around 60 or so (from what I've noticed after having come back into Windows from running a 3D app).

surfhurleydude
06-29-04, 04:23 PM
It's loud enough to get a GT instead of an Ultra...

Clay
06-29-04, 04:28 PM
It's loud enough to get a GT instead of an Ultra...
You've heard both?

surfhurleydude
06-29-04, 04:31 PM
Nope, but when you read reviews for the 6800 Ultra and the 6800 by the same person and he says the 6800 Ultra is loud but the 6800 is quiet, I'd say it's reasonable to assume it is much quieter since it is the same person commenting on both cards.

Besides, the Ultra is loud enough for me to want to get rid the GT no matter how much quieter the GT is.

Clay
06-29-04, 04:37 PM
Well sure, the 6800Ultra vs. 6800. I guess I'm just not following because you refer to those two but then you talk about getting rid of the GT. :confused: :)

At any rate, I cannot noticeably hear my 6800UOC over my two Vantec Stealth case fans and my Antec 480W PSU.

Gurra101
06-29-04, 04:47 PM
Im not following ither (sorry for the spelling). Do you have links to the reviews to both GT and Ultra?

surfhurleydude
06-29-04, 04:51 PM
Clay, in tbreak.com's review, the 6800 uses the same cooler that the 6800 GT does...not the cooler than many retail 6800s are using. Also, read guru3d's reviews.

Clay
06-29-04, 04:54 PM
Clay, in tbreak.com's review, the 6800 uses the same cooler that the 6800 GT does...not the cooler than many retail 6800s are using. Also, read guru3d's reviews.Thanks. I guess my whole point is that the 6800Ultra is considerably quieter than 59xx cards. I cannot hear it over my case/PSU fans and they aren't that loud to begin with. My CPU fan is a stock A64 setup as well..so no Tornado running or anything. So, if you can't hear it over your existing PSU/HSF/case fans then what is there to worry about? :) Of course, this is as subjective as IQ so...to each his own. :)

surfhurleydude
06-29-04, 04:58 PM
Yeah... My problem however is that I can hear mine EASILY over my HSF and case fans... My 6800 Ultra runs very very hot goes into the high speed fan mode every time I boot a game up... This card doesn't seem to be quieter than my old 5900 Ultra. I've got great airflow too, so I'm not too sure why my card needs to run at 67 degrees C while just performing tasks like AIM and Internet Explorer. Perhaps some cards just run hotter and thus louder than others.

EDIT: Also, my case is loaded up with Zalman stuff, so I'm definitely trying to keep the noise down!

Rytr
06-29-04, 05:07 PM
Yeah... My problem however is that I can hear mine EASILY over my HSF and case fans... My 6800 Ultra runs very very hot goes into the high speed fan mode every time I boot a game up... This card doesn't seem to be quieter than my old 5900 Ultra. I've got great airflow too, so I'm not too sure why my card needs to run at 67 degrees C while just performing tasks like AIM and Internet Explorer. Perhaps some cards just run hotter and thus louder than others.

EDIT: Also, my case is loaded up with Zalman stuff, so I'm definitely trying to keep the noise down!

At 67C your heatsink should be very hot. If not, you do not have good contact with the gpu. Running IE you should not get above 40C.

Clay
06-29-04, 05:09 PM

EDIT: Also, my case is loaded up with Zalman stuff, so I'm definitely trying to keep the noise down!Hmm, that is odd. I know you were having problems before and I've not heard of anyone else with similar problems. I hope you can get it resolved.

Gurra101
06-29-04, 05:19 PM

What brand on the 6800 do you have??

rellingsen
06-29-04, 06:22 PM
You might want to RMA that card surfhurleydude. That sound way to hot for IE, AIM etc or anything 2D. You might have a HSF that is not making full contact with the core. Mine like Clay's barely hits the 60's under heavy gaming. Most of the time it's being reported as 50C in 2D. That even seems wrong cause the card is barely even warm to the touch. The second after booting my cards temp. reads in the CP at 50C which makes me think it's calibration is off a little. My card never even gets hot enough during gaming for the fan to go in to the High mode.

scott123
06-29-04, 08:13 PM
Surf, hate to say this, but your wrong. The Ultra is quiet too. :)

kahloq
06-29-04, 09:15 PM
Surf, hate to say this, but your wrong. The Ultra is quiet too. :)

I wouldnt call him wrong. Especially since no one but him can hear HIS particular card. Maybe his has a fan problem and should be a little concerned. Dont call him wrong unless you hear his card yourself

surfhurleydude
06-29-04, 09:19 PM
Yeah my card is actually cold to touch at ALL times, which is why I think something might be wrong... I don't know if I want to mess with it though, because I AM RMAing it once I get the GT...

Ruined
06-29-04, 10:06 PM
Yeah my card is actually cold to touch at ALL times, which is why I think something might be wrong... I don't know if I want to mess with it though, because I AM RMAing it once I get the GT...

Don't mess with it, from all the stability probs you have something is likely messed up. Besides, the GT is virtually the same speed anyway. Main advantage to the Ultra is dual dvi.

Clay
06-29-04, 10:07 PM
Don't mess with it, from all the stability probs you have something is likely messed up. Besides, the GT is virtually the same speed anyway. Main advantage to the Ultra is dual dvi.Heh, yeah that and...well check my sig. ;) If you like to OC that is. :)

rellingsen
06-29-04, 11:32 PM
If he does have a poorly contacting HSF the chip could be running very hot and always be calling for the high speed fan mode to cool itself down to no avail. That could explain why it's so noisy.

Lucky SOB Clay. :) After 1 week plus of testing my card is just not 100% stable at anything over 446/1240. It's not like anything I have ever seen before. Usually I would expect white dots or artifacts if the card is clocked to high. In my case the card just freezes with a perfect picture on it for 5-10 seconds then continues on it's merry way until it does it again a short while later.

scott123
06-29-04, 11:59 PM
I wouldnt call him wrong. Especially since no one but him can hear HIS particular card. Maybe his has a fan problem and should be a little concerned. Dont call him wrong unless you hear his card yourself
OK :) . Maybe there is an issue with the fan assy.

What core temp do you see on the GPU? Run the rthdribl tool ( http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ ) in windowed mode and open up your temp display and see what it maxes out at.

lognoronon
06-30-04, 12:06 AM
Lucky SOB Clay. :) After 1 week plus of testing my card is just not 100% stable at anything over 446/1240. It's not like anything I have ever seen before. Usually I would expect white dots or artifacts if the card is clocked to high. In my case the card just freezes with a perfect picture on it for 5-10 seconds then continues on it's merry way until it does it again a short while later.

It might be because BFG is doing something different although I'm not sure if they are or not so that might be why clay is getting better overclocks.