PDA

View Full Version : mobos forAMD

Celeborn
06-29-04, 01:57 PM
ok, i plan on upgradeing to either a Athlon64 3200+ or 3400+. i have been looking at mobos and it seemsi cant find a decent mobo that support the athlon 64 and has 4 DIMM slots. the reason this is a problem is because i have 4 sticks of 256 set in duel channel with my current rig. is there some reason there are only 3 DIMM slots? and also does AMD support duel channel?

|JuiceZ|
06-29-04, 02:23 PM
Only way you're going to get dual channel support w/ your existing ram is to go w/ a S939 cpu that are more expensive than an s754 cpu you originally had your eyes on. Availiblity is the next thing, don't think there's currently a lot of S939 mb's to choose from. I'd recommend going the S754 route (3200+ & nf3 250 GB) and forgetting about dual channel. If you check some reviews, the addition of dual channel support nets very little perf increase which is something seen across the board since all a64 cpu are equipped w/ on-die mem controllers.

Arioch
06-29-04, 02:27 PM
Only way you're going to get dual channel support w/ your existing ram is to go w/ a S939 cpu that are more expensive than an s754 cpu you originally had your eyes on. Availiblity is the next thing, don't think there's currently a lot of S939 mb's to choose from. I'd recommend going the S754 route (3200+ & nf3 250 GB) and forgetting about dual channel. If you check some reviews, the addition of dual channel support nets very little perf increase which is something seen across the board since all a64 cpu are equipped w/ on-die mem controllers.

Well the S939 has a longer planned upgrade path than the S754 has looking at all the AMD roadmaps. At this point I would just wait and try to get a hold of one of those. Every little performance boost helps.

|JuiceZ|
06-29-04, 02:39 PM
Well the S939 has a longer planned upgrade path than the S754 has looking at all the AMD roadmaps. At this point I would just wait and try to get a hold of one of those. Every little performance boost helps.

Tru, I was just thinking more $$ mise :)

Arioch
06-29-04, 02:43 PM
Tru, I was just thinking more $$ mise :)

Yeah the S939 processors cost more but then I have a S940 motherboard. I can upgrade later on but it will be an expensive Opteron 15X if I do. I guess next year I will probably want to get some PCI Express action going anyway.

Riptide
06-29-04, 02:46 PM
I would consider holding off if you can for new revisions of the s939 motherboards. I am not very thrilled with my AV8, though I can't vouch for other's experiences.

strk
06-29-04, 03:37 PM
I have the 3400 CG rev with MSI Platinum and very happy this comp will be good for over year and maybe more.

fleshonbone
06-29-04, 06:52 PM
All the 754 based boards have had silent recalls mostly due to DIMM socket and memory based problems, except for the SiS 755/760 based Foxconn.

AMD also had initial problems with the 2800+ (512kb L2 cache) and 3000+ (512kb L2 cache) on-baord memory controllers.

If you are going the 754 route, stick with the 3200+ (1MB L2) and above.

I have built about 25 754 based AMD64 systems, and IMO, I would stick with the Foxconn, which is what we are now using for our engineer's at work.

Granted they don't offer all the o/c features as the other boards, but they are considerably cheaper pricewise (about $90), come with all the same features (1600 hypertransport, gigabit Ethernet, SATA RAID, USB 2.0, 8x AGP etc etc), and I have not had a single problem with the 8 we are now using at work, nor the one I bought for myself a couple months ago.

Since the AMD64 platform does not have a northbridge (ie mem. controller is on the chip), the performance of all the boards are virtually identical, therefore stability should be your primary concern. Foxconn has been around for a long time, and although you may have never heard of them, chances are every single computer you've owned probably had/has some kind of Foxconn mfg'd part in them as they've been mfg'ing computer and motherboard components for a long time.

Put it this way, I think Intel is generally recognized as being more stable, chipset wise than AMD - and guess who is (and has been) the exclusive manufacturer of Intel chipset components - you guessed it - Foxconn. That means when you look at your Asus mobo with that Intel chipset on it, the actual "Intel" stamped components are 90% mfg'd by Foxconn.

Although I've been a huge fan of Asus for nearly 10 years now, and almost use their products exclusively for home and the mfg firm I admin, IMO, you stand a much greater chance of running into problems with a 754 socket based system and anything but the Foxconn - I'm pretty sure this is why AMD phased out the 754's so quickly in favor of the 939's in the first place.

I am quite pleased with my 3200+ coupled with the 755/760 SiS chipset. I have never been a fan of VIA or SiS, but I must say it is very stable and the performance is awesome.

For about $500 you could have the mobo, a 3200+ and a GB of good RAM. For that kind of 32bit performance you are going to spend that much or more for the chip alone with an Intel.

EDIT: Gigabyte makes a SiS based 755/760 board as well, but we have been so pleased with the Foxconn, we never bothered trying it.

Gator
06-29-04, 08:33 PM
No major complaints on my Gigabyte K8NS Pro Nforce3 250 motherboard. Mine seems very stable, and I know a few people that got nice overclocks with them. The only word of warning I give with this board is you'll wanna flash the BIOS to the latest revision to correct glitch that prevents the memory from running about 166 (333). But once I flashed it, the problem was solved and I'm at 200 (400) on memory like I'm suppose to be.

I picked the Gigabyte board because I trust the Gigabyte name, and I really like the layout of the board, both the placement of components and the physical appearance. Comes with everything you could possibly want too.

And I also like the S754 over S939, because S754 is so much cheaper, and the CPU's appear to overclock so well that it could keep away the upgrade bug for awhile. Besides dual channel seems to only offer a small boost. Trust me I went from an AXP2600 w/ dual channel DDR, to A643200 w/ single channel DDR, the same exact dimms, and I donot miss dual channel at all :)