PDA

View Full Version : Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS?

AthlonXP1800
06-29-04, 06:25 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20040629030218.html :retard:

Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS? Is it all about pricing? I dont think so, now mobo prices are cheaper than 2 years ago, I bought ASUS mobo for £110 back in 2002 and today prices are around £80. Look like ASUS will be produce AMD mobo only after all. Funny I never heard of Wistron mobo before.

I think Intel's partner ATI probably will dump ASUS soon.

CainSyris
07-01-04, 03:09 AM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20040629030218.html :retard:

Intel to dump world largest mobo maker ASUS? Is it all about pricing? I dont think so, now mobo prices are cheaper than 2 years ago, I bought ASUS mobo for £110 back in 2002 and today prices are around £80. Look like ASUS will be produce AMD mobo only after all. Funny I never heard of Wistron mobo before.

I think Intel's partner ATI probably will dump ASUS soon.

I think you misunderstand. This isn't saying Asus is not going to make any more Intel-chipset-based boards. This is saying that Asus will not be OEM outsourcing motherboards for Intel any more. In other words, Asus built motherboards for Intel and then Intel put their name on them and sold them as Intel-built motherboards.

Get it? Intel-built motherboards are supposed to be the epitomy of stability without any overclocking at all. They have to be made by somebody and even though Intel does make chipsets, they don't actually build motherboards so they outsource to others to do that for them. It was big news when Asus took up the burden in years past because Asus is one of those BIG companies that produces some of the most stable (or so many claim) motherboards ever. So them building Intel motherboards ensured that stability Intel is suppsoed to known for continued.

What this is saying is that Asus wants to charge Intel more than Intel is willing to pay to keep making motherboards for them, so Intel said they could get a better deal elsewhere and they cut their deal. Asus will continue to make its own (and ASRock) motherboards and OEM to a lot of hardware vendors (Dell, Alienware, etc) based on Intel chipsets.

Just no Asus motherboards will be sold as Intel ones after this breakup.

zer0xp
07-01-04, 10:20 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Cainsyris. I got scared for a little, after having such a great experience with my P4C800-E Dlx and my P4P800... :D

AthlonXP1800
07-01-04, 10:05 PM
Ah I understand now, thank for clearing up Cainsyris. I thought it included Intel chipsets, now ASUS lost Intel as OEM customer, I think Intel was the biggest customer with 17 to 18 millions OEM motherboards from ASUS. Without Intel, ASUS will lose around $340m to $360m in revenues and it remain to be seen whether ASUS will still No1 and maybe ASUS will find other partners with the best deals to fill orders to close the big hole.