PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Non Ultra tempature results. I cannot explain

ChrisRay
06-29-04, 09:44 PM
This is extremely odd. At 325 Mhz (Default clocks) The core is running about an average 8-9C higher. If I enable the clocks to 350 mhz, The core drops down by about 7-8C. Either the tempature monitor is funky (Both drivers and riva tuner reporting these results)

Or maybe fan kicks up when Overclocked. But I havent notice any fan spinup on my core. its just a basic 6800 Non Ultra reference sample.

I am gonna test this under load as well.

bkswaney
06-29-04, 09:49 PM
That is odd Chris. I wonder if it's the fan kicking up a little faster
and cooling it better?
If it's not a false reading it's a good thing. :)

rewt
06-29-04, 09:50 PM
That is odd. Does RT have the option to force constant performance level @ 3D on the 6800 cards?

The reason I ask is because I've done this to my 5900. Now it runs 475/950 at all times, with no throttling. Temps are pretty much the same as they were @ default 2D clocks (300/950). Yours seem even lower! :clap:

NightFire
06-29-04, 09:53 PM
Have you examined the fan visually, or are you just listening for increased noise?

If there is no speed-up, I would most likely say you're getting a false reading.
Or, maybe there is some strange phenomenon.
You could be experiancing Moleor's Effect, in which the temperature drop on an object hotter than 50 degrees celsius apparently decrease electron movement proportional to the rate of air flowing over, which can cause the situation you have just observed.

ChrisRay
06-29-04, 09:53 PM
I'll have some load results for you in a second I am running 3dmark2001SE with both clocks

ChrisRay
06-29-04, 09:54 PM
Have you examined the fan visually, or are you just listening for increased noise?

If there is no speed-up, I would most likely say you're getting a false reading.
Or, maybe there is some strange phenomenon.
You could be experiancing Moleor's Effect, in which the temperature drop on an object hotter than 50 degrees celsius apparently decrease electron movement proportional to the rate of air flowing over, which can cause the situation you have just observed.

I have tried looking at the fan myself, But I am not too good at "Judging" something that moves at over 2,500 RPM

NightFire
06-29-04, 09:57 PM
Try using strobe lighting, with one of those "bullet-time" cameras.
:)
I'm sure it'll work.

ChrisRay
06-29-04, 10:03 PM
Try using strobe lighting, with one of those "bullet-time" cameras.
:)
I'm sure it'll work.

Wanna send me one? ;p

ChrisRay
06-29-04, 10:37 PM
Well I just did some tests with Far Cry, Under full load it runs 1C hotter than 325 @ Full Load. Yet while idling it still runs 8C cooler. Now that I cant explain.

bkswaney
06-29-04, 10:55 PM
Well I just did some tests with Far Cry, Under full load it runs 1C hotter than 325 @ Full Load. Yet while idling it still runs 8C cooler. Now that I cant explain.

Just send it to me and I'll take a look at it and figure it out. ;) :D

I cannot wait to get my GTOC. I'm about to die.... I want my GT. :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

scott123
06-29-04, 10:57 PM
Actually it isn't odd. I downclocked my 6800 Ultra by 50MHz and watched the temp rise by 5c.

ChrisRay
06-29-04, 11:18 PM
Actually it isn't odd. I downclocked my 6800 Ultra by 50MHz and watched the temp rise by 5c.

care to explain it then? I think my fan may be speeding up. It makes this small "hum" when OCED.

surfhurleydude
06-30-04, 08:28 AM
Well, I can tell you that my GeForce 6800 Ultra seems to push higher temps in 2D I lower the core and memory speeds... I thought it was strange as well.