PDA

View Full Version : Hey, new to the forums.

saberz
06-30-04, 08:53 AM
Howdy, new to the forums, just got myself a BFG 6800 GT. Was reading the CPU scaling guides comparing the X800 Pro, XT , 6800 GT , and Ultra and found that the 3.0ghz proc's seemed to offer the best bang for the buck. Currently my rig is what I have below 2.6c P4 and was wondering if thats enough? My mobo unfortunatly doesn't allow me to overclock and was wondering if you guys think I should get a different mobo? and if so which one?. I'm just looking to crank out maybe a 400-500 mhz overclock if possible. Not a stranger to the OC scene, just first time attempting it with a p4 system.

Had gotten my Barton up to 2.5ghz awhile back but had to constantly deal with temperatures, and am also wondering if the stock cooling solution on the P4 units themselves would allow me to hit 400mhz if at all?

|JuiceZ|
06-30-04, 10:22 AM
Welcome ;)

Being a diehard AMD supporter, can't say I've had much experience w/ the P4 platform but would recommend picking up the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM) & o'cing that 2.6 to 3.0+, not sure how good PNY ram fairs upping the FSB though.

Sazar
06-30-04, 11:24 AM
I could clock to 3.4ghz off my 3.0c with teh stock cooler but I doubt I would seriously recommend it... it ran stable but hotter than I liked :(

I was using an msi board and it was pretty damn stable for me.. had all the bells and whistles as well...

I think teh boards from asus and abit get pretty good oc's as well so any of them would be a decent choice...

saberz
06-30-04, 07:49 PM
hey thanks for the replies, got my card today, and started messing around with it, and I have to say it's great!.

Having read a bit more of my Intel board, I was able to overclock it 100mhz more lol! Seems intel doesnt like anyone messing with their stuff, so all they had was a "burn in" mode, and i maxed it out at 4% which raises my CPU power to 2.7ghz :( . Ran 3dmark 01 and i only got 14,757 which is weird, since my Radeon 9500 Pro when OC'd easily hit those marks. Going to try 3dmark 03 and see what i get with that, and yeah I'm wondering how far the PNY memory in my system will go with OCing as well.

Thanks again for the replies and info :D

Helanic Frost
06-30-04, 09:33 PM
You can buy a Athlon XP 3200 and an Abit NF7-S mobo right now for cheap. $180 for the CPU and $80 for the mobo. That's serious bang for the buck. And you could keep your current RAM.

saberz
06-30-04, 09:50 PM
I'm over the AMD thing.

I still have my AMD 2500+ Barton CPU that i was able to use @ 2.5ghz. Went through 2 Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 mobo's and an Asus A7n8x Deluxe mobo(which i got rma'd and still have). Have a Vantec AeroFlow on that proc to, just sitting in storage. Went with the intel setup because my mobo's were in limbo on the RMA(abit to this day says they never recieved it) and my Asus board came back really late(stupid holiday season). Already know all about the AMD side of things, just wish the Nforce2 boards were built better. Two Abit Nf7-s rev 2.0's just stopped working. Wouldnt post after 4 or 5 months of use. And the Asus board the Bios would lock up upon saving the settings.

Helanic Frost
06-30-04, 10:14 PM
I'm over the AMD thing.

I still have my AMD 2500+ Barton CPU that i was able to use @ 2.5ghz. Went through 2 Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 mobo's and an Asus A7n8x Deluxe mobo(which i got rma'd and still have). Have a Vantec AeroFlow on that proc to, just sitting in storage. Went with the intel setup because my mobo's were in limbo on the RMA(abit to this day says they never recieved it) and my Asus board came back really late(stupid holiday season). Already know all about the AMD side of things, just wish the Nforce2 boards were built better. Two Abit Nf7-s rev 2.0's just stopped working. Wouldnt post after 4 or 5 months of use. And the Asus board the Bios would lock up upon saving the settings.

Both of those boards went through alot of problems which apparently according to most people who own them were mostly all fixed through bios updates. People bought them for OC'ing and the soundstorm. DFI made imo the best nf2 boards. Intel is too costly for what you get and their tech is sooo old. It's all based on clock speed, nothing but brute force and they run HOT. I'm moving to A64 soon myself for the better memory bandwidth. If i were going to spend $200 plus for a CPU it would be on an A64 cpu. Bang for the buck compared to the performance intel is currently giving is just incredible. Of course building AMD systems is alot trickier than building an intel system so i can see your point to an extent. I left intel back when i had my old 800mhz P3 and haven't looked back since.

Rytr
06-30-04, 10:15 PM
My Abit IC7 has been running the 2.4C @ 3.0GHz for the past 7 months with no problems. This system runs 24/7. Any of the Intel boards mentioned would give your 2.6C a boost with the only question being your ram.

saberz
07-01-04, 07:12 AM
as much as I'd like to move over to a A64 system, I just don't have the cash for the 939 cpu's and boards that i would like :/

Bill The Cat
07-04-04, 03:46 AM
I'm running an IS-7 now, and it overclocks very well, farther than I feel comfortable pushing.

The Intel board you've got right now may be an awful overclocker, but when it comes to stability they're above the rest. I used to work for Intel in a past life, and I don't think I ever saw one die. I even cut myself while installing some ram, and bled all over my 850P once, and to my suprise it still kept running :-P.

saberz
07-05-04, 06:08 PM
Yeah your definetly right about the Intel boards being rock solid and stable. Can't say i've had any real issues with it except for hooking up the connectors from the case to the mobo. I have no idea where the speaker one goes, no documentation on it in the manual either, but its such a minute issue I dont think it will impact anything at all :D

CaptNKILL
07-05-04, 06:30 PM
I think your CPU at 2.7Ghz will be fine. It will probably cost you over $200 for a CPU that will give you a decent performance increase, and i doubt that the extra 5fps you'll get in some cases will be worth that $200.

I have an Athlon XP running at 2Ghz and I bought a 6800GT(equivalent of a 2600+ i think since im at 333FSB). Im not planning on upgrading my CPU\motherboard any time soon. Id have to buy a $400 A64 setup to get a decent improvement... nooo thanks.

FlowmotioN
09-24-04, 08:11 AM
Howdy nV folks!

First post.

I am in the exact same position that saberz was when he created this thread. I have a Asus P4P800Deluxe, 2x512 Kingmax PC333@320mhz (dont ask) a P4 2.6c@2.6 :( with stock cooling, and until fedex knock on my door and deliver my new BFG 6800GT OC (old version) I will be using a Radeon 9700pro.

I have been reading a lot of threads regarding the amazing overclockability of the 6800GT cards, and I am very worried now that my slow CPU and 320Mhz ram is going to become a huge bottleneck. Is there anything I can do about this? I have tried overclocking my CPU, and it will boot @ 3.12Ghz however games crash frequently at that speed and the temperatures are way to high at load (60 celcius+), btw what are good temperatures for 2.6-3c cpu's?. Is there a cheap fan or something that I can get that will cool the CPU better?