PDA

View Full Version : My New nVidia Card!

PenguinJim
06-30-04, 12:10 PM
Woohoo! My new nVidia card arrived through the post this morning! :D

I got it from eBay at a simply bargain price. Finally I can throw out that ageing Radeon 9800 Pro and replace it with my new:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/fa/23/c0_1_b.JPG

Diamond Edge 3D 3240! Based on the nV1 chip, this super-duper multimedia PCI 3D card eschews polygon acceleration in favour of accelerating quadratic texture maps. But the acceleration fun doesn't stop there! This card also accelerates MPEG-1 playback in Windows 95®, meaning I could watch VideoCDs such as 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' from the comfort of my PC chair! :drooling:

This incredible card also has onboard sound, a digital joystick port, and comes with a daughterboard allowing you to attach two (that's TWO) Sega Saturn joypads to your PC! What better way to enjoy the bundled games, Virtua Fighter Remix and Panzer Dragoon?

If I can be bothered, I may do a full review of the card at some point, benchmarking Virtua Fighter Remix, Panzer Dragoon, UT2004, Far Cry, and Encarta '95. But don't hold me to that. ;)

Pimp!
06-30-04, 12:16 PM
:drooling:

lol 2 sega saturn controllers, so cool!

Sgt_Pitt
06-30-04, 12:17 PM
rofl, hey they card would be worth something if you hang onto it. :D

Morrow
06-30-04, 12:22 PM
How exactly do you expect to get FarCry and UT2004 running on your brand-new Diamond Edge 3D?

Anyway, have fun playing the only two games supported by that chipset :)

mikechai
06-30-04, 12:29 PM
Hey, I had the Diamond Edge 3D in my very first own pc too.
I missed the Panzer Dragon and the Virtua Fighter Remix games.
It was great! :)

:beer:

Kamel
06-30-04, 12:31 PM
welll, i would offer to trade for my 9800 aiw, but i'm already trading with someone, lmao.

|JuiceZ|
06-30-04, 12:45 PM
I had one too, those were the shiz back in the day. VF is still one of my fav fighting games till this day. Will you have that review done by the weekend? I need some advice for an upgrade :D

mustrum
06-30-04, 01:49 PM
I had one too, those were the shiz back in the day. VF is still one of my fav fighting games till this day. Will you have that review done by the weekend? I need some advice for an upgrade :D

They never were. They were crap back when they were released allready.
Now itS' a great piece of hardware history to own though.
Congratz on your buy.
I wish i never gave away my diamond moster 3d voodoo 1. :(

PenguinJim
06-30-04, 02:11 PM
They were great... during previews :D

They kinda got trounced once ACTUAL 3D accelerators were released, but they did have some schwayness for a teeny tiny bit. :)
Anyway, have fun playing the only two games supported by that chipset :)
Pah! This card will (or should) run ALL games that do not require a 3D accelerator. Pretty much all DOS games, I guess. 2D agogo! :)
welll, i would offer to trade for my 9800 aiw, but i'm already trading with someone, lmao.
:drooling:
Woah, this card is worth something already! :D

Next year it will be 10 years old. Maybe Jen will buy it from me. ;)

Edge
06-30-04, 02:11 PM
Heh, it's worth it for the bundled games alone. Wouldn't mind having a Saturn controller adaptor either, might make those emulated Saturn games I play control better :D

Nice piece of history you got there. I WOULD like to know what the performance of that thing is though, does it support ANY 3d acceleration or is it a purely 2d and quad accelerator? I'm guessing no, since neither of the bundled games even SUPPORT 3d acceleration. Still, the water in Panzer Dragoon doesn't look too bad considering not only did they not have pixel shaders, but didn't have 3d accleration back then.

Oh, and how much did this "monster" of a card cost you, anyway?

PenguinJim
06-30-04, 02:13 PM
£5.50 plus £5 postage. Around 16e or US$20 in total. :)

Edge
06-30-04, 02:20 PM
Lol, not bad at all, if I could've gotten it at that price I probably would've. Hell, the games alone are like $10 each (well, last I saw them anyway...which was like 6 years ago). You even got Virtua Fighter Remix, which is a graphically enhanced version of Virtua Fighter which includes advanced visual features such as texture mapping and high-poly characters (I think they're around 1000 polygons each!).

revbatboy
06-30-04, 02:22 PM
Thats on par with the new Unreal 3 engine!!! :)

PenguinJim
06-30-04, 03:42 PM
Actually, it really isn't dissimilar to the Doom 3 engine :D :D

But, of course, sans bump mapping or proper lighting or hardware T&L or... lots of things. :)