PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 6800 GT, check for impressions vs. Ultra!!!

Pages : [1] 2

surfhurleydude
06-30-04, 03:36 PM
Hey! I just got my eVGA 6800 GT in the mail and just got everything up and running.

As some of you know I did previously have a GeForce 6800 Ultra... Well, after putting in this 6800 GT, I can safely say that my Ultra was f*cked on delivery, as I just completed 3dmark2003 using 61.36 drivers, which was not possible on my Ultra.

ALSO. This GT is apparently alot cooler running as well, as it runs 2D apps such as windows at a whole 10 degrees lower at 57 degrees C as opposed to 67 degrees C on my Ultra.

The fan noise on the GT is much much much much quieter than on the Ultra. I have to TRY to hear it above my Zalman CNPS7000AlCu heatsink fan and above my 120mm Zalman case fans. Yes, it is that quiet. Yes, it stays that quiet during 3D as well.

Unfortunately, no default overclock on the GT like Jakup showed the eVGA ultra card has.

Auto Overclocking feature detects core at 421 and memory at 1150 mhz. Pretty damn nice I must say! Any other questions? Lay 'em on me!

noko
06-30-04, 03:41 PM
Wow! Is your card stable at those Auto Overclocking speeds? I am glad it is quiet and hope my BFG (When it arrives) is the same way. Sounds like the 6800 GTs are real sleepers and going to be quite worth it in the end.

surfhurleydude
06-30-04, 03:44 PM
I didn't even try to play games at those speeds... I'm not a big OCer, and at this point, I'm not trying to fry my card out, at least not until there are cards a plenty. But it does run UT 2004 fine at Ultra speeds :)

rickshobbies
06-30-04, 03:47 PM
Wow, that's quite an overclock! I am hoping my BFG 6800 GT will do as well, especially since they state they improved the cooling by replacing the heat sink interface tape with Arctic compound.

Which brings up a question. BFG's warranty is lifetime and they overclock their card from the factory. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that nVdia's drivers have an auto detect overclocking feature built in like ATI does. Assuming that it analyzes your system to determine the highest overclocking rate, if it sets it above 370, does that void your warranty? Since this is a feature of the driver, I wouldn't think it would, but I can't find any specifics on BFG's warranty.

Anyone know?

Also, nVidia put a heavier cooler on the Ultra, so does that suggest that the GT doesn't have the capacity to cool that GPU running at 400Mhz (stock Ultra speed) and above? Not to mention the single molex.

Rick

noko
06-30-04, 03:52 PM
The bottom line is, how would they know if the card failed due to overclocking in the first place? Unless you told them and how would you know if the cause of the failure was due to your overclocking and not due to something else?

rickshobbies
06-30-04, 03:54 PM
Fair enough. I would think that if you overclocked too much, even if it was stable, and ran the temps too high, you would shorten the life of the card. So, is there a recommended safe temp range for the 6800GT?

surfhurleydude
06-30-04, 03:58 PM
The cooling unit of the 6800 Ultra is very weird. You'd think the bigger it is, the quieter... However it is the exact opposite... Weird huh?

noko
06-30-04, 04:00 PM
Also consider a low air flow case at stock speeds could cause the core to heat up way beyond a well ventilated overclocked card. Unless you physically modified the card I think the warranty will stand even if overclocked or not.

I understand your concern in not pushing the card over the edge I will probably do the same thing at first :kill:.

Banko
06-30-04, 04:11 PM
Overclock is nice you got me beat by 5 mhz on the core :/

Ruined
06-30-04, 04:19 PM
The cooling unit of the 6800 Ultra is very weird. You'd think the bigger it is, the quieter... However it is the exact opposite... Weird huh?

Remember man your 6800U was broken and other ppl have called the 6800U quiet. It's possible your HSF was just broken on it (failing to cool and making more noise).

kahloq
06-30-04, 04:26 PM
Wow, that's quite an overclock! I am hoping my BFG 6800 GT will do as well, especially since they state they improved the cooling by replacing the heat sink interface tape with Arctic compound.

Which brings up a question. BFG's warranty is lifetime and they overclock their card from the factory. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that nVdia's drivers have an auto detect overclocking feature built in like ATI does. Assuming that it analyzes your system to determine the highest overclocking rate, if it sets it above 370, does that void your warranty? Since this is a feature of the driver, I wouldn't think it would, but I can't find any specifics on BFG's warranty.

Rick

I believe you are referring to the Coolbits portions of the nvidia drivers. Yes its part of the drivers, but it has to be activated by installing the Coolbits registry addition. . And then YOU have to run the auto detect. The drivers dont automatically set the clock speed without any input from you, expect in the case of EVGA's dynamic overclocking drivers. But we're talking BFG here.

Im also sure that if BFG really wanted to, they could trace the failure back to an overclock above the factory settings once they received the card thru RMA.

noko
06-30-04, 04:39 PM
How could BFG tell if a card was overclocked?

kahloq
06-30-04, 04:42 PM
All they'd need to do is take it apart and do diagnostics on each part, especially the core.

JayrodTremonki
06-30-04, 05:53 PM
BFG's warranty does NOT cover overclocking past the default settings. That'd be the same as assuming that a 6800 Ultra EE could be OC'ed and still be covered under warranty, because it's just an Ultra OC'ed 50 mhz on core and memory.

Headbust
06-30-04, 06:06 PM
You gotta try those settings that the auto detect gave!..I get mine tommorow!

Savage101
06-30-04, 06:31 PM
heh, I've never-ever heard of a company finding out someone OCed their gfx card. It would cost way too much to test every rma like that lol.
Enjoy the sweet GT surfhurleydude

Sazar
06-30-04, 06:35 PM
pics :confused:

good info... keep it coming :)

kahloq
06-30-04, 07:04 PM
heh, I've never-ever heard of a company finding out someone OCed their gfx card. It would cost way too much to test every rma like that lol.

Why in the world would you actually think BFG or any other manufacturer would release any information on how they determine if an RMA is valid or not.

Headbust
06-30-04, 07:11 PM
its kinda obvious the time that it would take to determine whether its worth RMA would be just as much as giving them a new card anyway. They take the card and put it in a PC

nippyjun
06-30-04, 09:03 PM
Hey! I just got my eVGA 6800 GT in the mail and just got everything up and running.

As some of you know I did previously have a GeForce 6800 Ultra... Well, after putting in this 6800 GT, I can safely say that my Ultra was f*cked on delivery, as I just completed 3dmark2003 using 61.36 drivers, which was not possible on my Ultra.

ALSO. This GT is apparently alot cooler running as well, as it runs 2D apps such as windows at a whole 10 degrees lower at 57 degrees C as opposed to 67 degrees C on my Ultra.

The fan noise on the GT is much much much much quieter than on the Ultra. I have to TRY to hear it above my Zalman CNPS7000AlCu heatsink fan and above my 120mm Zalman case fans. Yes, it is that quiet. Yes, it stays that quiet during 3D as well.

Unfortunately, no default overclock on the GT like Jakup showed the eVGA ultra card has.

Auto Overclocking feature detects core at 421 and memory at 1150 mhz. Pretty damn nice I must say! Any other questions? Lay 'em on me!

Was the ultra that you had before from the same manufacturer as the GT?

Helanic Frost
06-30-04, 09:12 PM

Actually there are tell tale signs most of the time if a card has been fried from overclocking. Btw companies like BFG do have specialized equipment they can plug the card into and run diagnostics on the core etc... So just because there might not be any physical signs to give away overclocking a card doesn't mean there aren't other methods. And just fyi i know of more than one person who's tried to RMA a card with BFG under false pretenses and they didn't receive a new card. And it's not that costly to plug a card into a diagnostics machine, those machines pay for themselves when figuring the number of people who try to rip companies off.

Ruined
06-30-04, 09:38 PM
surfhurley already experienced a busted 6800 ultra, doubt he'd want to over OC and experience a busted 6800gt ;)

kahloq
06-30-04, 09:47 PM
Actually there are tell tale signs most of the time if a card has been fried from overclocking. Btw companies like BFG do have specialized equipment they can plug the card into and run diagnostics on the core etc... So just because there might not be any physical signs to give away overclocking a card doesn't mean there aren't other methods. And just fyi i know of more than one person who's tried to RMA a card with BFG under false pretenses and they didn't receive a new card. And it's not that costly to plug a card into a diagnostics machine, those machines pay for themselves when figuring the number of people who try to rip companies off.

Very well said and thankyou for the backup :)

Gogeta
07-01-04, 12:13 AM
nice. ALL GT have seen people report have done 400+ core and 1050+ mem. I think its pretty safe to assume most GT will at least oc to ultra speeds if not more.

coldfusion71
07-01-04, 12:15 AM
the resources they would have to invest including the time makes that ridiculous, companies dont do that ,they never will .sometimes if they get alot of a certain product ,they will test a few to determine the root of the problem. if it is not a massive influx of returned product, they dont really make a big deal about it. they already figure a certain amount of the product they put out will be defective. it is also damn near impossible to tell if something was damaged due to overclocking, i have sent things back to intel themselves that fried do to phase change accidents and they just give me another one. it is jsut impratical to do what you suggest and if anyone wants to screw a company it is not that hard.