PDA

View Full Version : Going crazy. Don't know what to do.

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 04:25 AM
I finally get my new comp put together, install drivers, etc. Everything is working beautifuly... Except Far Cry. The splash screen comes up, then a few seconds later, WinXP throws an error. I've tried different nVidia drivers, the Far Cry patch, and I've searched the Tech Support forums to no avail. I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out.

WinXP Pro
A64 3200
Asus K8V SE mobo
2x512 Mushkin RAM
eVga 6800GT
Hercules Fortissimo III

zer0xp
07-01-04, 04:48 AM
Okay, but what's the error?

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 05:11 AM
Far Cry has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

blah blah blah

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

blah blah blah

Send Error Report | Don't Send

==============================

Error Signature

AppName: farcry.exe AppVer: 1.1.0.1230 ModName: ~df394b.tmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0008d86b

zer0xp
07-01-04, 05:15 AM
Farcry is the only game that crashes?

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 05:23 AM
Yes. That is the weird thing. I threw on the Dusk demo really fast. Works like a charm. Next I installed UT2k4, and lo and behold, it works. I'm really racking my brain on this one.

Edit:
I even reinstalled Far Cry with no success.

zer0xp
07-01-04, 05:24 AM
This is a tough one. Did you patch as soon as the game was installed? If ou did, try removing the patch.

Jarred
07-01-04, 05:26 AM
try re-installing it?

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 05:29 AM
I've tried both v1.0 and 1.1. In fact, I immediately downloaded 1.1 because of the error.

And in case you missed my edit, yes I am on install #2, which I disabled Norton for.

PaiN
07-01-04, 06:31 AM
Doesn't FarCry use the new copy \ anti-piracy protection?
If the start-up app detects certain "burning" software on the PC it prevents the game from starting....Try removing any burning apps you might have, like DVD-X copy or CloneCD(and there's a ton of others on the "black" list).
Also, think I remember some issue with the game and certain optical drives..

zer0xp
07-01-04, 07:06 AM
Pain, i think he'd quciker have to remove any virtual drive software he has like alcohol, or daemon tools...

Son Goku
07-01-04, 07:21 AM
Doesn't FarCry use the new copy \ anti-piracy protection?
If the start-up app detects certain "burning" software on the PC it prevents the game from starting....Try removing any burning apps you might have, like DVD-X copy or CloneCD(and there's a ton of others on the "black" the list).
Also, think I remember some issue with the game and certain optical drives..

If this is true, this is going way!!!! too far. To detect one's software and refuse to play if one has CD or DVD burning software, or to have a black list of applications... As far as I'm concerned, that's wrong.

If they had a code on the CD that wouldn't copy or some other mechanism to prevent the burning of that CD, they would have a leg to stand on...but to presume to hold a black list and tell the user what other programs they can or can not run...is more then arrogant IMO

Is there actual documentation or proof for this, that anyone is aware of though?

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 07:32 AM
I don't have any burning or virtual drive software installed.

bleh.

Bill The Cat
07-01-04, 08:51 AM
Far Cry wouldn't get past the splash screen when I installed it on secondary hard drive. If you did the same thing, try sucking it up and putting it on C:.

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 09:13 AM
Only have one hard drive.

Solved the problem though. On the third install, I tried something I really didn't want to do. I think the copy protection doesn't like something on my system. I did something underhanded, and I suppose I'll leave it at that. Don't worry though, I actually own two copies because one came with my mobo/proc and the other with my videocard.

It runs beautifully though. :)

Thanks for all the help though guys. It shows that nvnews has a great community.

ssj4goku887
07-01-04, 02:44 PM
yeah a no cd crack most likely :P

PiIsExactly3
07-01-04, 04:26 PM
:bleh:

Pretty lame though that copy protection is getting out of hand and preventing legitimate customers from playing games. I spent 5 hours (probably half of that was a reformat and update) trying to fix it, and it makes me furious that I had to go through all that.

Galvin
07-01-04, 06:23 PM
Those cd burning software or daemon tools just needs to stop using the registry so they don't get detected.

WeReWoLf
07-01-04, 06:34 PM
I play mine using Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%. I don't get these errors.. Then again my flatmate did so don't follow what i say to be entirely true.

PiIsExactly3
07-02-04, 04:30 PM
Well, I found solution number 2. I popped my Sony CDROM drive into my new computer, and tried running it from there. Works like a charm, though I do notice some increased loading times. :lame:

Revgen
07-02-04, 05:17 PM
The Farcry cd comes loaded with Safedisk 3.15 copy protection that doesn't work on some cd/dvd drives.

These companies are so desparate to protect their copyrights that they are willing to screw their customers. :screwy:

PiIsExactly3
07-02-04, 06:23 PM
It caused me to not be able to play my legitimate copy, yet I was easily able to bypass it with a certain file. :bleh:

That sure seems worth it to me!

Because I'm sure Joe Schmoe who has the game and it doesn't work are going to do either of the things I did.

Revgen
07-02-04, 08:28 PM
If you guys want to find out more about cd protection check out

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

and look into the copy protection forum.

These guys are "freaks" that can answer just about any question you have.