PDA

View Full Version : Whats that burning smell?

DaveW
07-01-04, 07:48 AM
Last night, what should have been a very simple upgrade destroyed my PC.

I had ordered a 512 DIMM from Crucial. Installing ram is possibly the easiest computer upgrade you can do and should involve just sticking the new DIMM in place. I figured it would only take a minute or so. I couldn't be bothered to deal with the spagetti mess of wires behind my desk, so I just pulled the case out as far as I could, then crawled on the floor to crack open the case. It was dark and I couldn't see well, but I couldn't be bothered to hunt for a flashlight, I was only adding a new DIMM after all, hardly rocket science.

I couldn't get the DIMM to lock completely. The graphics card in the AGP slot was blocking my finger access to push and clip the lower latch. Since I didn't want to unscrew and remove the graphics card I figured to heck with it and tried switching the PC on.

Power came on, but no "beep" from the bios. Then I started to smell the sweet aroma of burning circuitry. SH*T! This is the most dreaded smell of any PC enthusiast. Its a smell that says "you are fuxored" better than any words ever can. I quickly pulled the power but it was too late. When I removed the DIMM it was still glowing. I examined it closely, then examined the DIMM slot... the notch was at the wrong end! I had installed the DIMM upside down! ... no wonder it didn't lock properly. DUH! I tried the PC again without the DIMM... no beep. The mobo is fried. Hopefully thats as far as the damage went. I was on my old laptop last night ordering a cheap ASRock something mobo from newegg.

I guess the lesson learned is, never treat any hardware upgrade as "trivial".

MUYA
07-01-04, 08:03 AM
Tough break Dave :( Hope ya get your "down" system back up again.

sytaylor
07-01-04, 08:18 AM
I've never destroyed hardware.. i've only had hardware that never works out of the package. One of those, that makes you try every spare component separatley and takes you hours to realise its the freakin motherboard >_<

MUYA
07-01-04, 08:20 AM
nor have i. I can't recall anyway, and i have alwys made my own comps since my 486s.

nope....i did break a bit of a AGP slot of my old 815 mobo in 2001, I think.

Helanic Frost
07-01-04, 12:35 PM
nor have i. I can't recall anyway, and i have alwys made my own comps since my 486s.

nope....i did break a bit of a AGP slot of my old 815 mobo in 2001, I think.

Hehe i did that too. Couldn't get my video card to come loose and figured i could finesse it a little and the end of the AGP slot snapped lol. Same year too lol.

DMA
07-01-04, 01:05 PM
Burning smell..
I thought this thread was about another Prescott barbeque.

:firedevil

DMA
07-01-04, 02:04 PM
*slap*

My Prescott runs cool, thank you. :screwy:

HEY! You hit like a girl! :POKE:

I know, prescott jokes are old.. :)

netviper13
07-01-04, 02:17 PM
*slap*

My Prescott runs cool, thank you. :screwy:

Yeah Gib, it's definitely not as hot as your mom!
:lol2: