PDA

View Full Version : Is my 6800 GT defective?

Pantherman
07-01-04, 06:45 PM
I have another post about the problems I'm having with 3DMark 2001SE and my 6800 GT. The benchmark freezes with little lines all over the screen. I've also noticed some flickering textures and graphic anomalies with 3DMark 2003 in the Nature scenes. This benchmark does finish, and I get 11101. Far Cry stutters and I also get graphic anomalies. It's weird. I never had any problems when I had the 5900 nu in the system. I'm thinking it could be a driver problem or a PS problem. BFG tech support suggested I try different drivers, but they couldn't really help. So far I've tried the 61.21, 61.32, 61.36 and 61.71. The 61.71 identified my card as PCI-E!!! I had to uninstall them. I'm really at a loss here. Windows works great, no problems. MY PS is 300W, so I'm O.K. there. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

kahloq
07-01-04, 06:54 PM
Well it depends on how much other stuff is in your case whether or not the 300w PSU is good enough. That might be the first thing to look at. The 300w rating is the minimum for a GT. Does it have at least 18a on the +12 rail?
And even if it does, if you have a few HD's and opticals + case fans.....the 300w may just be a little shy of what you need.

Those lines and such you mentioned are generally indicative of lack of power getting to the card, even if its a brief interruption, it could cause those visuals. Before trying to RMA it, I would highly suggest trying a larger watt PSU. They arent very expensive really and ive seen several PSU's with better then 18a on the +12 rail at 400watts or better for less then $50

Possibly another reason you dont the anomiles with the 6900nu is because the power draw is less on that card.

Squidly
07-01-04, 07:05 PM
if you need a new psu, I have a thermaltake 420 watt with about 10 hours of use on it that I will let go really cheap. Let me know if you are interested.