PDA

View Full Version : Medical study links games to obesity

sbp
07-01-04, 09:14 PM
*gasp* you mean if some Fatty Arbuckle sits around playing videogames all day they could get fat?

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6101806.htmlSwiss researchers find a "strong association" between playing games and childhood weight gain.

Anti-game activists got more ammo yesterday, thanks to a Swiss study that partially blamed video games for childhood obesity. In a press release, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University Hospital Zurich announced the findings of a joint study which will be published in next month's scintillating issue of Obesity Research.

The study surveyed 872 children in first, second, and third grades in 10 schools in northeastern Switzerland. It measured several factors, including: age, sex, nationality, number of siblings, smoking status of parents, television programs regularly watched, breakfast consumption, watching television during meals, snacking while watching television, and the amount of time subjects played electronic games.

Despite the numerous factors involved, researchers said "Obesity was independently associated with the time spent playing electronic games and the time spent watching television." However, the researchers release gave no specific evidence why games made kids more likely to be obese other than they were "inversely associated with physical activity."

Interestingly, the study also found that foreign children living in Switzerland, where the per capita chocolate consumption is 21 pounds per year (twice the US average), were "twice as likely to be obese than Swiss children." The study attributed Swiss children's relative slimness to cultural differences, but did not mention yodeling, clog dancing, or alpine sports specifically.heh

Greedy lawyer with distraught parent: its the deep pocketed videogame companies fault. Yes, warning labels need to be put on games.

saturnotaku
07-01-04, 11:27 PM
Meh, now where's my bag of pork rinds? :D

Son Goku
07-02-04, 12:16 AM
Swiss researchers find a "strong association" between playing games and childhood weight gain.

LOL, perhaps it would be better if they'd do a statistical correlation study between obese kids, and parents who feed their kids at McDonalds, so these people could blame the food industry :lol: Honestly, if only some people could use some common sense :D

Despite the numerous factors involved, researchers said "Obesity was independently associated with the time spent playing electronic games and the time spent watching television." However, the researchers release gave no specific evidence why games made kids more likely to be obese other than they were "inversely associated with physical activity." (emphasis added)

The answer is simple and is a matter of common sense. Neither TV nor game playing is the culprit. Eating more calories then one consumes through physical activity is the answer. But another approach (then increasing physical activity), if one does less, would be to eat less. Now compare the above quoted (from the researchers) to how it's being reported in this paragraph

Anti-game activists got more ammo yesterday, thanks to a Swiss study that partially blamed video games for childhood obesity. In a press release, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University Hospital Zurich announced the findings of a joint study which will be published in next month's scintillating issue of Obesity Research.

Statistical correlation studies do not prove cause and effect, nor do they indicate "blame". Here, an independent factor, mentioned by the researchers is given. Perhaps someone could conduct a statistical correlation study between how much sleep people get at night, and obesity, while ignoring that people who get 5 hours of sleep a night might be more likely to hold down 2 or 3 jobs, or be busy in some other way. Should we then proceed to blame sleep for obesity? :p

WarGhSt
07-02-04, 01:25 AM
*Didn't actually read the article*

But it's funny because I've actually noticed that when I PLAY video games I actually eat less... wierd...

Or is it?

-- WarGhSt

de><ta
07-02-04, 07:56 AM
*Didn't actually read the article*

But it's funny because I've actually noticed that when I PLAY video games I actually eat less... wierd...

Or is it?

-- WarGhSt

Especially when you play games such as Everquest...

Intel17
07-02-04, 08:21 AM
Funny, Im not obese....and I play games about 7 hours a day!
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Pafet
07-02-04, 11:15 AM
This'll probably show up on fark.com next to 'OBVIOUS' :D

Don't get me wrong, I can play games for hours straight not thinking about food like WarGhSt said. But I cant say I'm realy surprised.

Oh yeah.... I'm not fat !!!

Son Goku
07-02-04, 04:50 PM
It's activity that makes me hungrier :D Which is how it should be. Although there can be some hormonal things (or what not) going on with some people, a lot of people who are fat just don't know when to stop eating. The problem is that pointing out the obvious these days can be considered so non-PC; combined with the fact that many people would like to find something else to blame for their decisions, rather then take responsibility themselves.

Hell, the researchers weren't exactly saying what it sounds like activists are trying to twist it into. Needless to say, days that I sit home and do less, I'm not so hungry. Go out and do about 3 or 4 hours of Tai Chi, and I can eat rather much like Goku :D

The only time in which a lot of physical activity didn't result in me getting hungrier, was when I climbed the La Luz trail. That was a good 9 hour walk or so up into the mountains...and when it was all done my legs were more tired then I remember them being otherwise. I couldn't even feel them, had almost lost my voice, and about the only thing my body wanted to do was sleep.

Didn't eat much that day, but the day following...my appetite made up for it :)