PDA

View Full Version : AGP 8x Lives ON!

jcossin
07-02-04, 08:05 AM
According to a leaked roadmap:

http://www.myhard.com/image20010518/146255.gif

Comparing it to PCIExpress, there isn't much difference:

http://www.myhard.com/image20010518/146257.gif

Hence, no reason to move to PCIExpress for awhile. Which is good, since a year from now they should have the bugs worked out, eh? :condom:

Nandro
07-02-04, 08:07 AM
I think PCI-e will have bigger benefites in other area's like Gigabit ethernet and such, untill the video cards demand this much bandwidth.

saturnotaku
07-02-04, 08:37 AM
I think PCI-e will have bigger benefites in other area's like Gigabit ethernet and such, untill the video cards demand this much bandwidth.

There's that, Serial ATA and other things. PCI-e ain't just for video cards. :)

ragejg
07-02-04, 08:42 AM
Ed, forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what else might use the PCI-Ex interface? I have not seen anything else besides a video card that would use this slot. :confused:

saturnotaku
07-02-04, 08:46 AM
Ed, forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what else might use the PCI-Ex interface? I have not seen anything else besides a video card that would use this slot. :confused:

I don't have any concrete answers, but my best guess is devices that would otherwise be limited by the comparatively slow transfer rates of the PCI bus. I'm not saying we would see immediate benefits, but imagine what kind of advances you can see with hard drives on a PCI-e controller. Perhaps something like Firewire 2 (or 3 or whatever the next generation is), USB 3.0 and potentially other high-speed connection interfaces.

These are probably just pipe dreams for the forseeable future, but I do believe there is far more use for PCI-e than just video cards. ;)

npras42
07-02-04, 09:58 AM
From what I understand the PCI-e interface has already been developed quite quickly so that the interface is faster than AGP 8x. But they are also intending to release slower interfaces (which consume much less power I guess) to completely replace the standard PCI slots on PCs.

I cant imagine this will happen anytime soon, but it will mean the end for PCI hardware and everyone will have to buy new PCIe stuff. Kinda like the day I got a new PC years ago and my soundcard wouldn't fit becuse it didn't have an ISA socket. I was confused for a while wondering where they'd hidden it! :bash:

jAkUp
07-02-04, 10:07 AM
Soundcards will also use this slot