PDA

View Full Version : Bought some new Dolby Digital speakers.

Nutty
07-02-04, 03:36 PM
I've been wanting some proper Dolby Digital speakers for use with my Nvidia SoundStorm chip for a while.

I settled on these;
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=25&product=9137

As much as I'd have liked logitech z680's, I cant really justify £260 quid just for gaming speakers. I also needed speakers that have a dedicated DD decoder, so I can avoid the useless DAC's on mobo's and have the pure creame of AC3 output from SoundStorm.

Installing was easy enough. The most annoying part was some tape on the speaker wires that was virtually impossible to get off with your fingers. Its weird that the speakers plug into the sub-woofer too. I thought they're all be driven from the Decoder unit. I guess this way it makes the decoder unit an optional accessory.

The decoder unit has optical, coax and analogue inputs and comes with a massive set of connections/wires. Decodes dolby digital, DTS, dolby pro-logic II.

The sound is fantastic. Having all 3d game audio magically converted to Dolby Digital is great. Even old games like CS take on a whole new level. Call of Duty is awesome too.. Cant wait for Doom3. :)

All in all I'd give these speakers a thumbs up. Great value for money imo.

GlowStick
07-02-04, 04:33 PM
Sweet speakers, I also upgraded from Off-Brand cheepist i could find speakers. I got a 5.1 system from Logitech for about 150$ (usd) and all my games have come alive!

I also did the upgrade for Doom3 because they make a big deal about the sound ; D

Farcry makes really good use of sound too, its pritty good for that game also.

fleshonbone
07-02-04, 08:26 PM
For $100 more you could've had the Klipsch ProMedia's - and they make the Creatives and Logitechs both, sound like a toy...

GlowStick
07-02-04, 09:40 PM
For $100 more you could've had the Klipsch ProMedia's - and they make the Creatives and Logitechs both, sound like a toy...
Unless im mistaken the Klipsch's dont have the onboard decoders and do not accept optial/coxial, however i do feel klipsch overcharges because of their name brand. Since Nutty has the SoundStorm mobo he has alot of cool dobly stuff to play with, but needs speakers that support it, and I know the Creatives he bought do, cant be positive about the Klipsch, but from the picture of the back it looks just like analog to me.

Since i dont have a good soundcard, I went to the store and was like "whats the cheepist 5.1 speakers ya got ; )"

heh

fleshonbone
07-02-04, 11:49 PM
Unless im mistaken the Klipsch's dont have the onboard decoders and do not accept optial/coxial, however i do feel klipsch overcharges because of their name brand. Since Nutty has the SoundStorm mobo he has alot of cool dobly stuff to play with, but needs speakers that support it, and I know the Creatives he bought do, cant be positive about the Klipsch, but from the picture of the back it looks just like analog to me.

Since i dont have a good soundcard, I went to the store and was like "whats the cheepist 5.1 speakers ya got ; )"

heh

Have you ever listened to them side-by-side with the Creatives or Logitechs? Speakers shouldn't have onboard decoders - your card should be doing that - IMO, I want the R&D and engineering of my speakers spent on the sound IQ of the speakers themselves, not split up the "Creative" way with 25% speaker engineering/25% on board decoder/25% marketing/25% useless features/control panels/and 2 year old software bundles.

BTW: The Klipsch's are analog - but I don't consider that a negative - they took the time to engineer the best sound quality possible using reliable existing technology - the "optical" and "digital" connections that Creative advertises is mostly marketing hype - the sound quality and power is nowhere near the Klipsch - and they don't need to advertise on every second page of every trade magazine nor throw in a copy of Tomb Raider I to convince you of that.

Nutty
07-03-04, 05:02 AM
Speakers shouldn't have onboard decoders - your card should be doing that -

My speakers dont. The decoder unit is seperate. Yes my Soundstorm can decode to 6 analogue streams, but then I have to go through the mobo DAC which isn't great. Using a dedicated hardware decoder means I can bypass the DAC on the mobo.

There is a world of difference in quality before we even talk about the surround sound now. I used to get distortions in some games, basically bad DAC conversions. Its crystal clear now.

That was the main reason I bought the ones I did. I know they're not the best, but I wasn't willing to splash out loads of dosh on gaming speakers that I'm only using about 10 hours a week.

MUYA
07-03-04, 05:52 AM
I got a question then Nutty mate, I am getting a Denon Pro Logic Amplifier and 5.1 Paramount speakers ont he cheap. How should I go about hooking that up with the soundstorm? Any1?

Smokey
07-03-04, 06:11 AM
I got a question then Nutty mate, I am getting a Denon Pro Logic Amplifier and 5.1 Paramount speakers ont he cheap. How should I go about hooking that up with the soundstorm? Any1?

Could you not just use that Creative decoder (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468&nav=technicalSpecifications) ?

On a side note, Creative do sell some nice speakers if you have the cash, the S700(5.1) and S750(7.1) Gigaworks :)

That should be a nice little setup that you have there Nutty, and that decoder is quite good, not just for the pc, but DVD players, Xbox etc :ORDER:

MUYA
07-03-04, 06:29 AM
dude i am getting a denon pro logic amplifie and 5.1 paramount speakers for USD$120 or ther abouts , been used for 1 yr. Not a bad deal I think. So any ideas how to hook up a nForce2 soundstorm mobo and erm the amplifier?

Nutty
07-03-04, 07:58 AM
I'm using an optical cable from the back of my motherboard to the decoder unit. NV audio panel is setup as 5.1 dolby digital mode, and everything just works great. The decoder automatically detects the input mode, or you can force over-ride to another input mode. I figure you can have several inputs on at once and flick between them.

By the way, Pro-logic 1 doesn't support 5.1 speakers. It only supports monaural rear, and no active subwoofer. Perhaps the decoder will filter off the bass to the subwoofer anyway tho.

Pro-logic II supports 5.1. Its kinda like an analogue version of DD compressed into a stereo stream.

MUYA
07-03-04, 08:13 AM
okit's not pro-logic i found out, It's DTS? and has optical connection. That ok for surround sound usage with the soundstorm?

Nutty
07-03-04, 11:24 AM
Yeah, DTS is basically dolby digital but with smarter compression. I assume it will decode DD as well.. it would be daft having a DTS only decoder.

You want to use optical output from your mobo to the decoder, and select 5.1 dolby digital in the NV mix panel. Or just follow the speaker setup wizard.. Its stupidly easy.

MUYA
07-04-04, 04:00 AM
I am that stupid when it comes to audiophilic hobbies ;)

this is the reciever...not Denon but Sony

http://www.review33.com/review/review.php?reference=sony_str-v828x

What say you Nutty? Will this be able to enhance my surround sound gaming with a sound storm or Audigy2 (might buy it)?

Nutty
07-04-04, 06:33 AM
Sure. I wouldn't bother with the audigy, the AC3 output from SoundStorm is very good imo.

MUYA
07-04-04, 06:36 AM
K thanks mate....off to watch the Grand Prix.