PDA

View Full Version : Anandtech results were wrong. On sm3 benches.

Pages : [1] 2 3

odin20
07-02-04, 07:53 PM
Seems he screwed up and didnt enable aa properly Doh!
Here is a link to read more about it.http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13723&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
So the 6800 doesnt spank the x800xt at all it seems.
Most of the other reviews have it dead even with sm3 even.

Ruined
07-02-04, 07:55 PM
It appears the 4x AA/8x AF benchmarks could have really been 0x AA/8x AF on both cards. We don't really know though because Anand hasn't commented on it.

From the other reviews it looks like the 6800U is on par with the x800xt, but the GT still takes it to the x800pro pretty hard with sm3, and comes within range of the 6800U/x800xt as expected.

Also, according to CryTek, this is just the beginning. The 1.3 patch will include even more SM3.0 shaders and performance gains. (and hopefully the cool HDR and VDM we've seen so much of).

Here is a chart which shows some of the general improvements SM3.0 can bring using Shadermark 2.1:

http://www.nordichardware.se/Artiklar/?skrivelse=252&page=3
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/sm30chart.gif

BIGeMpTy
07-02-04, 08:00 PM
Can anyone confirm this about AA not being enabled? I've read a whole bunch of posts saying they used the 61.45 drivers which should have controlled AA just fine. But then numbers are a little funny.

Oh and Ruined, I just saw all your posts in that PS2.0 vs 3.0 thread on beyond3d, you're a braver man than I trying to get all those loons to understand simple reasoning.

-eMpTy

Ruined
07-02-04, 08:03 PM
Can anyone confirm this about AA not being enabled? I've read a whole bunch of posts saying they used the 61.45 drivers which should have controlled AA just fine. But then numbers are a little funny.

The only person that can really comment is Anand, and he hasn't said jack.

Oh and Ruined, I just saw all your posts in that PS2.0 vs 3.0 thread on beyond3d, you're a braver man than I trying to get all those loons to understand simple reasoning.

:)

GlowStick
07-02-04, 08:08 PM
I read that thread and they dont seem to have much proof other than, they dont like the benchmarks.

I would like to see what anand says.

SH64
07-02-04, 08:11 PM
Hmmm .. yeah we should see whats Anand's comment on that .

I would have said what about X-Bit benchmark .. but since it has no AA/AF enabled , i dont think that would make it legitimate .

Kamel
07-02-04, 08:14 PM
yea, well, i think i will go with cris ray's results that were as good or better than anandtech's findings, and he did not use any kind of special places that nvidia reccomended or anything like that, he just walked around with fraps on...

edit: not to mention, in the screen shots, i could have sworn i saw aa.. but i guess that's subjective

Arioch
07-02-04, 08:14 PM
Well some of the reviews appeared to have the AA set correctly. As Ruined mentioned the 6800GT is getting a solid lead over the X800 while the 6800U and X800XT are about even.

For whatever reason the 1.2 patch not only appeared to lower performance on the X800 cards but also added some graphic bugs. So I recommend that X800 owners stick with the 1.1 patch unless they really need the 1.2 multiplayer fixes - I can personally get over the shadow problems on the Boat level. Of course those of you with 6800 cards should jump all over the 1.2 patch.

There is still no hard answer on the new VDM and HDR features being SM3.0 only features and I did run the demo someone did of VDM on my X800XT card so I know it is usable on ATI cards. I guess it will be up to Crytek but hopefully they will do the right thing by letting both camps use the features but with SM3.0 users getting the benefit of some performance increases.

MikeC
07-02-04, 08:20 PM
Well some of the reviews appeared to have the AA set correctly. As Ruined mentioned the 6800GT is getting a solid lead over the X800 while the 6800U and X800XT are about even.

For whatever reason the 1.2 patch not only appeared to lower performance on the X800 cards but also added some graphic bugs. So I recommend that X800 owners stick with the 1.1 patch unless they really need the 1.2 multiplayer fixes - I can personally get over the shadow problems on the Boat level. Of course those of you with 6800 cards should jump all over the 1.2 patch.

There is still no hard answer on the new VDM and HDR features being SM3.0 only features and I did run the demo someone did of VDM on my X800XT card so I know it is usable on ATI cards. I guess it will be up to Crytek but hopefully they will do the right thing by letting both camps use the features but with SM3.0 users getting the benefit of some performance increases.

What did you go to your friends house to get on his computer? You're obsessing here son. Enjoy your weekend with a friend you're starting to sound like a drone. You don't need to tell people what to do we've all got minds. You've gotten so obvious now its time to shut-up.

Arioch
07-02-04, 08:37 PM
What did you go to your friends house to get on his computer? You're obsessing here son. Enjoy your weekend with a friend you're starting to sound like a drone. You don't need to tell people what to do we've all got minds. You've gotten so obvious now its time to shut-up.

Holy crap man - I don't know why you want to pick on me. I am waiting for friend to get off of work actually since he works retarded hours at the hospital and we have some tickets to catch Spiderman 2.

I am seriously thinking about a Nvidia card since I could sell of my X800XT but I hate to be rash because of some scores that may or may not be correct for thr SM3.0 path in Far Cry. I think maybe some folks here could set it straight but since I don't have the patch I can't test it out myself yet.

Well I don't want to get banned here since some mods at other sites are trigger happy but I thought this site was pretty open-minded and fair. I don't recall ever being overly strong in any posts here. I just think people should be as well informed as possible and having other angles isn't a bad thing I think.

:(

BIGeMpTy
07-02-04, 08:41 PM
Holy crap man - I don't know why you want to pick on me. I am waiting for friend to get off of work actually since he works retarded hours at the hospital and we have some tickets to catch Spiderman 2.

I am seriously thinking about a Nvidia card since I could sell of my X800XT but I hate to be rash because of some scores that may or may not be correct for thr SM3.0 path in Far Cry. I think maybe some folks here could set it straight but since I don't have the patch I can't test it out myself yet.

Well I don't want to get banned here since some mods at other sites are trigger happy but I thought this site was pretty open-minded and fair. I don't recall ever being overly strong in any posts here. I just think people should be as well informed as possible and having other angles isn't a bad thing I think.

:(

If I were you man, I would hold on to that XT till I had a compelling reason to go through the trouble of selling it and buying something else. It's definitely a badass card. But I can see how you might be tempted...the 6800 series just has so many things going on lately...cool stuff...

-eMpTy

MikeC
07-02-04, 08:42 PM

Well I don't want to get banned here since some mods at other sites are trigger happy but I thought this site was pretty open-minded and fair. I don't recall ever being overly strong in any posts here.

Cry me a river boy you poor victim. I can see why some mods at other sites might be trigger happy with you. I said you're obvious cut it out.

Arioch
07-02-04, 08:44 PM
If I were you man, I would hold on to that XT till I had a compelling reason to go through the trouble of selling it and buying something else. It's definitely a badass card. But I can see how you might be tempted...the 6800 series just has so many things going on lately...cool stuff...

-eMpTy

Well I saw some of the benchmarks from Anandtech and was pretty impressed but then all this stuff started coming out. Well hopefully jAkUp can set us straight soon here or someone else. Sometimes I miss the days when owning a Voodoo card was the only option - it took these kind of decisions out of our hands.

BIGeMpTy
07-02-04, 08:44 PM
Cry me a river boy you poor victim. I can see why some mods at other sites might be trigger happy with you. I said your obvious cut it out.

<grammar nazi>It's you're, not your.</grammar nazi>

-eMpTy

BIGeMpTy
07-02-04, 08:46 PM
Well I saw some of the benchmarks from Anandtech and was pretty impressed but then all this stuff started coming out. Well hopefully jAkUp can set us straight soon here or someone else. Sometimes I miss the days when owning a Voodoo card was the only option - it took these kind of decisions out of our hands.

I think it's a really interesting time for video cards. Like the XTPE just has so much damned horse power...then you have NV who seems to be back on thier A-game and is just doing everything imaginable to retake the performance crown...it's all quite fun to watch...

-eMpTy

Arioch
07-02-04, 08:46 PM
Cry me a river boy you poor victim. I can see why some mods at other sites might be trigger happy with you. I said your obvious cut it out.

Well I didn't want to imply that I was banned before but I think I will leave you be for now - good day sir.

Arioch
07-02-04, 08:48 PM
Does anyone here happen to own both a X800 series card and a 6800 card? I know that's a tall order with product availability but it would be interesting to see their personal tests.

Banko
07-02-04, 08:49 PM
Well if you look at the screenshots ATi and NV they look identical, so I'm thinking AA was disabled in ATi and NVidia's benchmarks so this shows Nvidia winning when both cards don't use AA.

Waffles
07-02-04, 08:50 PM
BigEmpty - if you really want to be a nazi make sure you get it right :) he wasn't saying Arioch was obvious. so he was correct in "your" not "you're"

Arioch
07-02-04, 08:51 PM
Trying to set AA is a pain apparently as it looks like its supposed to be set in the control panel or in game depending on which set of drivers is being used from what I have been able to read.

Squidly
07-02-04, 08:52 PM
i owned a x800 and returned it because of crashing in CS, far cry and other games.. I would get "ati driver error" and it would crash to desktop. I have never had that happen with my 6800gt so far. Far cry also seems to run a little better. I like my geforce

Snooka
07-02-04, 08:59 PM
Geez.... The admin seems a wee bit touchy today. :ducks: :dontflameme: :(
Nice the way Arioch handled it, very mature. :mad::thumbsup:

I don't care. I'm still getting a 6800 GT/Ultra/Extreme Edition. Whichever I can get my grubby hands on first!

MikeC
07-02-04, 09:00 PM
Geez.... The admin seems a wee bit touchy today. :ducks: :dontflameme: :(
Nice the way Arioch handled it, very mature. :wink:

I don't care. I'm still getting a 6800 GT/Ultra/Extreme Edition. Whichever I can get my grubby hands on first!

Hmmmm your name is so familar to me.....

SH64
07-02-04, 09:06 PM
Anandtech updated thier results !

UPDATE: It has recently come to our attention that our 4xAA/8xAF benchmark numbers for NVIDIA 6800 series cards are incorrect. The control panel was used to set the antialiasing level, which doesn't work with FarCry, unless set specifically in the FarCry profile (which was not done here). We appologize for the error, and have updated our graphs and analysis accordingly.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2102

lets see .. (mag)

Banko
07-02-04, 09:22 PM
Well it appears the 6800U is still winning most of them except air strip and that other one that I forget the name of.