PDA

View Full Version : Turning old records into MP3

Tuork
07-02-04, 09:36 PM
My uncle asked me if I know how to convert old records into mp3, hence, digitize them.

I would imagine I have to take a turntable, make sure its output goes to a "eigth" size plug, pluga that into the input jack of the sound card, and then use some type of software.

Any ideas on wether this is the way to go? Any advice on which software to use?

Thanks in advance.

Rampant CL
07-03-04, 04:09 AM
Thats pretty much correct, however make sure you use a soundcard with the highest sampling rate, as this directly affects the quality of the finished piece. Erm, software? Pretty much anything that can record from your soundcard inputs, id google it and see what comes up, there should be plenty of free stuff available.

Drumphil
07-03-04, 11:30 AM
depending on how the turntable is set up you will most likely need a phono pre amp between the turntable and the computer. The signal that comes straigt out of a record player is too weak to be recorded well by devices that are designed for line level (unless the record players has a built in preamp, but most don't). I think m-audio make a phono preamp with a usb connection specifically for this task. If you want the best results, and you have a good record player, and good condition records its worth it.

As for recording software, for a task like this I would use soundforge or wavelab, but just about any recording/wave editor program should do the job.

Gator
07-03-04, 11:38 AM
for software I recommend Cool Edit Pro